Audio interfaces for the new iPads

Thanks for the insight into the use of an interface instead of a mixer, I did some more research and it became obvious that an interface was the way to go. I got the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 so that I could mix multiple midi devices together.

I have a 6i6 myself and I’ve been very happy with it. My UltraNova has a SPDIF output which I run into the SPDIF input on the 6i6, I run my audio system into 3 and 4 and use 1 and 2 for guitar, mic, piano etc. I typically have it connected to my Mac, but it also works very well with the iPad. BTW if you’re looking for a low cost audio input for the iPad or iPhone, you can get an iTrack pocket for about $25. This has a built-in stereo mic and a mono instrument connector (no XLR). It was originally about $100, but with the removal of the headphone jack from the iPhone, it became much less attractive. I use mine with a standard micro-usb cable and a CCK so that I can still power the iPad. Makes a good instrument input for Audulus.

This may be interesting, I just backed the kickstarter as I’ve not so far found a hub with a working audio out for may iPad Pro

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hypershop/hyperdrive-worlds-1st-usb-c-hub-for-ipad-pro-2018/checkouts/96738339/thanks?clicked_reward=false&event=create&pos=&racing=1&ref=

Interesting. Your link went to the Kickstarter login page, but I was able to find it at:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hypershop/hyperdrive-worlds-1st-usb-c-hub-for-ipad-pro-2018?ref=nav_search&result=popular&term=F2%20Hyperdrive
This would give you two output channels and one input at mic level. Not as flexible as a dedicated audio interface, but certainly compact and versatile for other uses as well.

What about Ableton Link?

For the mixing, you could use a desktop mixer (Berhinger or whatever). But there are other interesting options. Do you have a modular rack? What about an ES-8? Sometimes things that seem expensive end up solving other issues down the line – like having ADAT for multi-tracking. Keeping in mind that you have a brand new ipad pro and some other ipads + a MacBook and iphone and you are investing in this dongle hub.

Ok, what about this one which is already available?
https://satechi.net/products/aluminum-type-c-mobile-pro-hub

See also: MacStories Selects: The Best New Accessories of 2018 - MacStories

Thanks, that’s also interesting as Satechi are also a good brand, so long as they are claiming iPad pro compatibility it should be OK.

Sorry, I now see that Ableton Link was discussed; but I am not so sure it has been properly considered. From the outset, I want to say that Ableton Link has sometimes been unfairly judged. I think that it gets misperceived because it is called “Ableton Link.” If you have a host app that supports Link (many do), you can then send clock/gate/trigs to Audulus as an Inter-Audio plugin. So you don’t need Ableton to do this. You need AUM or BM3 or something.

Wiring up 4 iPads, a computer, iphone, keyboards, etc., can get crazy with cabling. Also, in my experience, Link seemed to provide the best syncing in many situations where software midi clocking was completely unreliable. And I mean clocks shifting out of time within a few bars and never returning.

from the site:

What kind of data is sent via Link?

Link currently provides tempo sync and a grid to which apps can align. In Live 9, there are no Song Position or Start/Stop messages sent via Link, nor can any other MIDI data be sent. In Live 10 the feature “Start Stop Sync” additionally shares Transport Start and Stop Commands.

In case you wish to send MIDI note or Control change messages to another computer you can use a virtual MIDI network instead. If you wish to send MIDI note or Control change messages to another application on the same computer, you can use a virtual MIDI bus.

So my point here is that getting a good sync can be problematic and a harry mess of cables and dongles might be avoided.

The question about the ES-8, ADAT, etc., was that summing everything into the same stereo fields with that many voices can be limited because of EQ issues. While desktop mixers do have some EQ options, not all are created equal. When you start try to get solid EQ going, then the price goes up, in which case it might be worth considering an interface with ADAT so that you could have all of the useful options that that brings. Stereo is two channels – 3 iPads is 6 channels to input.

I have used a Berhinger desktop mixer as @stschoen suggested and I think it is a great fussy free way to get a bunch of instruments down to a stereo 2 channel result. But, again, do you then have to send that to an ADC to record (another audio interface)? As I started to evolve my setup I quickly realized I would actually save more money by future proofing what I was doing.

As I am doing the dishes I am thinking, “but why create an iPad orchestra?” The reason being, in an orchestra the conductor just keeps time and arranges, but does not control the playing of instruments. Each player has their own ‘piano roll’. So I guess I don’t understand why you would want to send midi messages, other than to sync.

“As of Version 3, Link allows peers to share information on the user’s intent to start or stop transport with other peers that have the feature enabled… Ableton Link 3.0 is backwards compatible with earlier versions and is already available in Audiobus 3, and Audiobus compatible apps get Start Stop Sync support ‘for free’.”

So I suppose the reason you want to send midi to all the ipads is you want to control them with the novation. In that case I would try making one of them a host with AUM (or something) and see if there is truly any latency issues with midi over bluetooth to the other ipads. There very well may be no issue.

1 Like

Yes, thanks for those thoughts. The main idea was to create a kind of video wall either with instruments that already exist or with instruments that I create as apps with a visual appearance, thats the main benefit of the iPads, at a purely practical level my laptop is probably more than capable enough if it was a purely musical/audio thing. I should try your suggestions with them, but I’m a long way from this and TBH just fiddling with ideas at this point as my day job and life responsibilities are a bit overwhelming at the moment. I have a project to build a virtual instrument and it might be possible with Audulus, but I also have some PureData code to work from and it might end up that I’d use that which can be embedded in a custom app.

I will definitely try what you suggest as I agree about the cabling issue and the ‘wall of screens’ concept would be far better to make wireless.

On a side note I got the Satechi USB-C dock for the iPad Pro today and its brilliant in terms of opening up the device. I have the audio out and can put midi in and charge simultaneously.

2 Likes

Just a quick note on the Satechi unit, its very loose on the iPad. I have an order in for the Hyperdrive one, I think it should be better. Also bought a shelf for my keyboard so I can have somewhere to put my iPads … and the Rackbrute I’m currently only just resisting…

2 Likes

After pondering this question with no good answers I could find anywhere for the last year or so, I finally encountered a few reasonably priced interfaces with USB-C connectivity. For anyone who might still be looking to solve this riddle, I recommend you take a look at the MOTU M2 or M4, PreSonus Studio series, or the Saramonic SmartRig+ UC :frowning:

The first two suggestions are from well known brands, and may be a little more bulky than you would prefer for portability, I bet, but the Saramonic interface seems to be designed with portability in mind I know from experience that each of the two brands are super reliable (I had the AudioBox i2 from PreSonus as my first interface). I upgraded to the M4 when it came out, as it turns out this interface has DC-coupled I/O, which was a big bonus before I got my rack and the ES-8 for it. PreSonus’ new Studio series also have DC-coupled interface capability now, beginning with the Studio 26c, but you only get 2 channels of DC out, as there are 4 outs and only 2 ins on that model.

I don’t know if anyone else is still struggling with the idea of upgrading their iPad now, but I know I certainly was. Learning about these options, getting one and seeing how well it works makes me feel a lot more confident that I won’t be ruining my setup when I eventually upgrade my 2+ year old iPad Pro in the next year or two. I hope this helps some others too! Stay safe everyone! :smiley:

Edit: the Saramonic interface was depicted in another ad with monitors above the headphones, so I guess I jumped to the conclusion that it had more than the one output. My bad, everyone :confused: I guess maybe they are operating on the assumption that you only want to bring signals into the iPad for recording or something? If you’re looking for something to bring back the headphone jack and still leave you with your USB-C port available for power and data, this Anker USB hub looks like a good option. Sorry for my mistake regarding the Saramonic above!

3 Likes

I checked out the Saramonic on Amazon and it appears the unit has two input channels and no output channels other than a headphone jack that seems to only monitor the inputs. Since the new iPad Pros don’t have a headphone jack, I can’t see how you would get audio out other than Bluetooth. If you only want input, a Focusrite iTrack Pocket has two mikes and a guitar/line input for only $14.99. The included cable is a micro USB to lightning connector but I’ve used one with a standard micro-USB cable on my iPad and it works just fine. I expect it will work with an iPad Pro. The first one I bought was $100.00 but they slashed the price when the iPhone dropped the headphone jack since it has no audio output.

2 Likes

Good catch! I corrected my post above to fix my mistaken recommendation and mentioned a nice Anker USB hub that appears to mount flush with the iPad and includes a headphone jack. Thanks for pointing out my mistake, @stschoen :smiley: I certainly don’t want to be recommending things that will leave others disappointed!

1 Like

I wouldn’t necessarily characterize it as a mistake. I occasionally use my iTrack as an instrument or mic input in situations where I’m not concerned with listening to output from the iPad such as recording samples from external gear. For those times the Saramonic would be perfectly acceptable. Looking at their other gear, it would seem that recording sound, particularly for video, is their primary business. The fact that it’s small and battery powered would make it perfect for those types of applications. I use a Tascam digital recorder for the same sorts of field recordings but an iPad and Saramonic would work as well.

1 Like

This :arrow_up: provides a good explanation for what I found myself wondering last night as I pored over the specs and thought to myself, “they specifically mention a 48v phantom output for microphones, but I don’t see an external input socket for supplying that power…where does it come from?” and your mention of batteries makes things clear now. AFAIK (or at least I am pretty sure) the iPad isn’t capable of outputting that level of power for externally attached anything hehe

1 Like