Announcement: No Windows/Linux version of Audulus 4

Thanks for this update. I was just about to buy the Windows version, but I guess not! I have it on an iPad Pro and Audulus is a very welcome addition to that platform.

My main platform is Windows. I use Studiomux, a tool that turns my iPad into a Windows vst and lets me use iOS synths and effects in Windows. I haven’t tried Audulus yet in that setting (I just bought it yesterday) but will be interested to see if that’s an avenue for integrating Audulus into a Windows production environment.

2 Likes

I use Studiomux on my Mac and I’ve been pretty happy with it. Latency can be a bit of an issue in some cases, but overall I find it’s a useful tool.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip about this studiomux thing!

3 Likes

That’s a shame. I can understand needing to keep development more streamlined though. I hope you reconsider one day. :slight_smile:

I think the use case for these is wider. Touch screen support on windows is better and this goes well with the ios version. Also we are now starting to see lots of micro high powered diy PC devices coming out which could potentially run audulus in custom hardware boxes.

1 Like

FWIW, supporting niche-software on multiple platforms is a tough tough ask both from the coding and the development side. Supporting 4 platforms and doing them all well is really tough and often not financially feasible for a small shop.

6 Likes

Yeah that’s basically what it comes down to - more and better features, or spending time keeping up with OS updates that break the software and/or make it tough to be backwards compatible.

This was always a big dream for me - basically you could make guitar pedals and standalone synths powered by Audulus. Although it’s a super cool use, it’s ultimately a really small portion of the actual market that’s out there buying synth software. As Taylor had told me, he didn’t quit working at Pixar so he could do boring maintenance coding - Audulus is a passion and he doesn’t want to kill the desire to work on it by doing the plumbing version of coding.

5 Likes

Tough decision. Focus in product management is one of its many disciplines that is hard to make, but almost always produces the best results.

2 Likes

Will Audulus 4 work properly in MacOS launched on VMWare?

VMWare can’t run OS X on anything other than a Mac without significant intervention to make your env a pseudo-hackintosh. It is a TERRIBLE process I will not attempt again. I doubt @taylor would be willing to offer support to such a setup as well, but you are certainly welcome to try. Chances are pretty good that if you have hacked together a [virtual] Mac OS setup that will run A3, A4 will probably also run fine, but again, no guarantees, and you will be largely left to your own wits to solve any issues encountered. :confused:

Actually I run VMWare on Windows host (Intel processor) with MacOS guest without any problem. Most of applications that are not referencing OpenGL are working pretty well. Even Ableton Live 9 can be launched, however it is very easy to reach the moment when it starts lagging even though the sound card is connected directly to the guest’s OS. I don’t know why this happens taking in the consideration the fact that other heavy applications are working fast without significant lags, such as several instances of XCode with Interface Builders and iOS emulators for them and many other apps at the same time. I don’t want to buy Audulus 4 for MacOS until I make sure that everything is going to work smoothly on VMWare. If there is a demo version I’m ready to try.

Because of the way the Apple App Store works, a demo version is difficult to do. In any case I’m sure that only macOS running on a Mac would be supported

I cannot offer any help, unfortunately, but out of curiosity, what hardware are you running that allowed you to install and run macOS without any intervention? I also have VMWare and (one of) the most well equipped model of hardware clone of a 13” MBP (Dell XPS 13) that can be “easily” made into a hackintosh, as it contains nearly all of the same components as a base model 13” Pro.

I thought it would be fun to run a test env on it, but then after installing, I was met with such significant hurdles to overcome just to boot into the installed OS, there was a whole webpage dedicated to all the boot loader workarounds and sneaky little mods that had to be made. I was led to believe in my half a day wasted on research that this was commonplace, and I just said forget it and gave up.

This was around the time of El Capitan or High Sierra, iirc. If there is another version that would run without issue, I would be interested to give it another try (if you don’t mind sharing details of your setup and OS version). :slightly_smiling_face:

You can download an image of installed MacOS from the internet and follow simple instructions that include running a couple of python scripts for unlocking MacOS in VMWare. I’m sure there a lot of torrents with such images on the Internet, I’ve sent one to you in a private message.

Hello, congratulations about the release of Audulus 4! may i ask if the offer about the free upgrade for us users of windows version still stands? i don’t have a mac but i have an ipad , thank you.

1 Like

It does - you were the one who I emailed with though, right?

Yes , all well and thank you again! some new bigger patches are a little heavy for my 1st gen ipad pro but grateful to have the new version.

1 Like