uQuant Scale Based Quantizer

uQuant scales

uQuant

The uQuant is a scale based quantizer. It will quantize a 1 per octave input signal using the selected scale. It includes several common scales. The root note for the scale can be adjusted and the output can be transposed +/- 6 semitones. The quantizer accepts a numeric value as the scale input which is converted to binary and used to select which notes are in the scale. Any whole number between 1 and 4095 will generate a scale. The accompanying utility module can be used to define additional scales. It has an output which can be connected to the scale input of the quantizer and a numeric display. The included scales are expression nodes with the numeric value of the scale grouped with a text label. All scales are based on a western 12 note well-tempered scale

I/O

Input Signal Range Notes
o%20input 1 per octave
scale%20input 1 - 4095 integer converted to binary internally to obtain scale notes

Output Signal Range Notes
o%20output 1 per octave output can be shifted using the transpose control
output 1-4095 scale converter output

Controls

Knob Function Notes
transpose transposes output +/- 6 semitones
root selects the root note for the scale in semitones 0 == A using standard tuning

Button Function Notes
keyboard utility module keyboard for entering scale notes

Displays

Meter Displays Notes
note%20display displays the notes in the selected scale and the current note
transpose%20display displays the transpose value semitones
root%20display displays the root note for the scale semitones
scale%20number displays the numeric value for the selected scale

Version History

Revision File Date Notes
6.2 uQuant V6.2.audulus (202.2 KB) 08/01/2018 improved CPU efficiency
6.1 superceded 05/04/2018 initial upload to new forum

Demos

Revision File Date Notes
1.2 uQuant Demo V 1.2.audulus (241.1 KB) 08/01/2018 updated uQuant module
1.1 superceded 05/04/2018 added switch between quantized and unquantized output
1.0 superceded 05/04/2018 initial upload to new forum
4 Likes

This module is an absolute classic!

2 Likes

Itā€™s a bit of work to do the docs right, so I thought Iā€™d post the older ones I find most useful first.

2 Likes

Being able to sequence scales is incredibly handy. Also the compactness of the quantizer is what I would call ā€˜cuteā€™.

Here is a even more mini version I use a lot. lil 6.1.audulus (237.1 KB)

2 Likes

I like your ā€œreducedā€ version. It was a bit of a toss-up whether to include the root and transpose controls, but they didnā€™t add much overhead and having a root control means not having to do a separate scale for each key, although it does make the converter somewhat ambiguous. Actually for the most part I only use a couple of keys so your version would work just as well, but I like the added flexibility.

1 Like

I tend to use this one when I have a plan already, I find adjusting the root and transpose are great tools for exploring and finding new melodies.

2 Likes

Constantly using this one!

3 Likes

Kinda wish we could get user ratings in here some how. Maybe pin a poll at the top of the post?

2 Likes

What kind of ratings? One version vs. another, or all patches vs. one another?

1 Like

Updated!

1 Like

Thank you so much for dialing the cpu hit down. Such an important, if unflashy, appreciated improvement. :flying_saucer: I have had patches where I was trying to figure a workaround, but I am such a hack at this.

1 Like