The VP-330 project

You have to rename it. The file uploaded has a *.txt extension, you have to remove that extension. It must have the .audulus extension.

Hi and welcome to all the new peope :slight_smile: nice to have you on board.

This works theoretically. However, there is no native way to change the file extensions on iOS (as far as I know). You can do it using the shortcuts app, but we usually use another workaround (also using shortcuts)
See here:

3 Likes

With the app ‘Documents’ from Readdle you can change a file extension without any problem.

Yes, thank you: I realized this doesn’t show unless you display the ‘info’ tab from the ‘files’ contextual menu… the problem is the ‘.txt’ suffix is appended over the ‘.audulus’ suffix and, as far as I know, there’s no way a ‘rename’ operation can remove the extra appendage!

In both Audioshare and Documents by Readdle, you can change the type suffix.

Aha, OK, thank you

New version uploaded, master output separated (+ phaust XL phaser included). It’s now easier to add effects on the master output and integrate the instrument in other projects.

This looks super amazing – wish I could hear it!

I’m strictly using Audulus 4 beta right now, mostly on macOS. I can open it, but I can’t see how to get it to start making sounds, at least in a conventional way.

If I go inside the module I can see indicator lights from my midi keyboard presses, but no sound from key presses. I can also open, for example, the Bass Priority sub module and “manually” press the buttons and get sound.

What an I missing?

By the way, on my journey exploring Audulus, I too have hugely admired the things you have shared. Those filters, for one, wow.

1 Like

Thank you jersmi for your feedback and your kind words!

I never tested VS-305 with Audulus 4. The file format has changed from Audulus 3 and a project opened in Audulus 4 won’t be compatible anymore with Audulus 3. I’m not too sure about how it’s handled exactly, and in fear that my whole library would be “corrupted”, I never tried…

It sounds like there is a compatibility issue. It’s strange that you can activate some sounds by manually pressing the buttons and that you can see the leds using a midi keyboard, but no sound. Can you also hear the strings/human sections by manually clicking on the buttons? Each button is midi mapped to one key. If Audulus 4 handles this differently than Audulus 3 that could be the issue.

Ok, I’ll do some investigating. Audulus 3 files should work in Audulus 4, but yeah, not backwards compatible.

Yes, I get sounds when I press any assigned button. I see two instances of the keyboard node – one for triggering, one with freq output just connected to monitors, presumably used to get freq values. Besides that I don’t see where the patch is set up to receive midi note data from an external keyboard? Or ??

Midi note data are individually assigned to each button, like so.

Ah, I see. Not used to that, perhaps then the midi assignments did not make the journey to Audulus 4 – you did say that already, after all. Thank you for your patience, I’ll keep trying.

Ps. digging around I did notice that the button for one of the bass priority notes (21) might be in toggle mode (the rest are triggers/momentary, as expected)?

If midi assignments for the trigger node are not in the near future, any reason why I couldn’t alter your patch to bypass midi assignments and filter notes from the keyboard hz/gate outputs? For ex., convert hz to midi note then (note==69) * gate, etc. Would that disrupt para/poly?

I’ll check tomorrow (time to sleep here in France :wink: ). Thank you a lot for checking this out!

1 Like

Nice one. Yes that’s wrong but no consequence since the button is not used as is.

Yes If you manage to route every gates to each key that should work. I don’t think that it should mess the para/poly setting. I’m wondering why the midi assignment of the buttons has been deprecated in Audulus 4.

There’s no other midi input data information available in Audulus 4 (a new node?), something that would explain that change?

One thing though: you said you can see lights inside the module when pressing keys. What lights? Not the C1, C2, C3 etc…?

Ok, cool.
Lights – in the trigger submodule, from Key trig detector (not C1, C2, etc.).

Regarding Audulus 4 –
I submitted a github request for @Taylor to clarify yes/no for A4 trigger midi assignments, hopefully not deprecated, possible he just needs to add it back in.

I’ll wait and see what he says, then take an appropriate path for A4 best practices. If necessary I’ll try a rebuild of your patch. It would be worth it, this is a great project!

If a rebuild is in order, I’m thinking about the new A4 Spigot node (ala Pd) that can remove a signal path from the CPU load. For ex., thinking how keys are separated here, might be able to reduce load by not processing unused keys.

Another thing A4 does not have, at least at present, are A3’s lightweight (compiled) 1-pole LP/HP filters. At a glance it appears you use them a ton here, and as you know, without them means replacing them with something requiring unit delays, and that would hugely add to the load.

(For slewing, I think there’s a reasonable method that could replace that’s not too heavy – most basic LP/“leaky integrator”, expr with signal*x + prevR*(1-x) where x is amount of slew and prevR is the output of the expression directly connected (fed back) to the prevR input port.)

At any rate, being invested in A4 means I’m considering these issues. This patch alone might make a convincing case to bring back A3’s 1-pole “utility” filters.

1 Like

Thanks jersmi for the feedback!

Omg the 1-pole filter node has been removed! Yes that’s a basic tool that is needed very often. The instrument is already quite cpu intensive, I can’t imagine what it’s gonna be with the expression node instead, if that works…

How can you get any sound? The 1-pole filter node is used everywhere, especially the envelope generators and osc waveshaping.

1-pole filters – yep, I agree. Well, A4 is in beta, so we’ll see.