Swing-able Beat Clock

Though I would post this and get some feedback before finalizing the design and posting in the Modules Category. The basic idea is a beat clock with outputs for the measure, beat, whole notes, half notes, etc. Additionally I wanted to be able to “swing” some of the beats. After much noodling around this is the result.
19%20PM
You set the beats per minute and time signature and get clocks for the measure, beat, and all the notes and triplets up to 1/32 as well as the beat count . All the notes from the half note down can be swung individually using the knobs. Swinging a note has no effect on any other note. The maximum swing is limited to 85% and the duty cycle of each waveform is currently set to 10%. I could easily add a duty cycle knob if you think that would be useful, but as the duty cycle approaches 50% the maximum swing possible will decrease. I realize that only eighths and sixteenths are traditionally swung, but this design makes some complex poly-rhythms possible. Let me know if you have any suggestions.
** updated version posted below.

3 Likes

Here’s another example - superseded 10/09/18 see below.

2 Likes

Interesting, it seems like there is something in your recent demo that converts it to loud clicking on the windows version. I will have to wait until I get back home to check it out properly, but I’m looking forward to it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t have the Windows version so I can’t check it out. No problems on the Mac or iPad. Runs at about 45% on the iPad Air 2. I posted a short clip of the second demo (somewhat modified) on Instagram if you want to check it out.

2 Likes

Updated the internals of the clock so I could provide a reset. Clock is stopped as long as reset is high. I think this is pretty close to what I had in mind. BTW the triplets swing the center note of each set of triplets. I don’t know if that’s the best way to approach it but it seems to work. Swing 3.audulus (1.6 MB)

2 Likes