Sample Based Follower

Not sure if this is the best place to ask.

I’m trying to build a sample based envelope follower. I import a sample and place it at the front of the chain, then do the rest. Is it possible to even import a file? I’m not seeing a way to do it (thought I could import my files from Cubasis. I can see the samples, but can’t grab them). I’m not sure how to create a follower module either, but I’m sure I can figure it out.

Help?

3 Likes

There is an envelope follower node in the ‘level’ section of the node library. Sometimes you need to stack them in order to get a less noise signal.

evelope test bed.audulus (16.1 KB)

I am not sure you can record the envelope that results easily in cubasis, but I will give it a try when I get the chance.

There are some pretty useful makenoise eurorack modules that can do envelope following such as maths and optomix. Both are really handy in a system of any size.

1 Like

I’ve got my eye on a couple modules that do that. But what I really need is a way to insert a pre-recorded sample into audulus and use that file as the basis for the follower.

2 Likes

It might have to wait until the Audulus AU update, because currently Audulus will crash if both it and Cubasis want to use the ES-8. Once you can use Audulus as a plug in, then Cubasis can play the sample and Audulus can process it. Would that work?

The good news is that Audlus 4 is scheduled to have a sample node and that will simplify all this, but that’s many months away.

1 Like

What about using audiocopy to send a sample? I do t have the Es-8 yet. Wanted to familiarize myself with the app first

1 Like

It could work, you are looking for audio copy -> Audulus -> cubasis, right?

1 Like

No, because audiocopy can’t be an input source for audiobus. It would need to sent here directly.

1 Like

It seems I’ll have to wait for the update to do it.

1 Like

It’s so frustrating when you know that all the pieces are there but they don’t seem to work together yet. I’ll see if I can figure out a workaround. Can you let me know what audio apps you have at your disposal?

1 Like

@Esgal Try using Audiobus with Cubasis (or Audioshare, or whatever audio source will play the sample file) as the Input and Audulus as the FX unit within Audiobus. In Audulus you can then just use the Input or ADC nodes to bring that audio into Audulus to be used with the envelope follower.

2 Likes