Reticulated Gate Sequencer

Reticulated Gate Sequencer

Here is a gate sequencer that works (approximately) like the varigate 4+ gate sequencer, with each step having a probability to play and a number of repeats per a step. This allows for ratchets and runs as well as nice idm style drums.

If you open it up, there is more functionality you can add with the clearly labeled, easy to mod counter.

28%20PM

Just add an input for reset, random jumps, and direction randomizer.

I/O

Input Signal Range Notes
41%20PM68x55 0, 1 Clock input, works best with constant fequency.

Output Signal Range Notes
26%20PM51x51 0, 1 gate outputs

Controls

Knob Function Notes
33%20PM96x84 Gate Probability 0 to 100%
40%20PM96x81 number of ratchets 1 to 4

Displays

Meter Displays Notes
![50%20PM 48x53](upload://wIze8OWLLWglDhtP82gpmftWLN9.png) indicates the number of ratchets

Version History

Revision File Date Notes
1 reticulated gate seq.audulus (162.1 KB) 4/2018 more slim than the current version but does not retain the number of ratchets per step when a patch is reloaded.
2 Reticulated Seq V2.audulus (144.5 KB) 5/7/2018 Added knob for number of ratchets and gate outputs for each step.

Demos

Revision File Date Notes
1 reticulated demo.audulus (885.3 KB) 4/2018 outdated module but still fun
2 reticulated sequencer demo.audulus (1.7 MB) 5/7/2018 might be too large to run on some iPads.
2 Likes

This is really cool. How does that little flip module with the sample and hold inside work?

2 Likes

That is a flip flop! (don’t you love @stschoen’s graphic?) It’s basically a counter that just goes from 0 to 1 and back again. When the sample being held is 1 it returns zero and when the sample is 0 it returns one. This means you can divide the clock frequency by 2. In the old days, they would use this technique to make fully polyphonic electric keyboards, like farfisa organs.

1 Like

Having used the first design for a while, it started to bug me that whenever the patch was loaded, the number of ratchets per step was lost because the sample and hold value of the counter had been reset. So I switched the 4-mode toggle button for a knob, which has the benefit that you can add modulation or sequencing to the number of steps.

I also added individual outs to each step for adding accents or triggering events.

56%20PM

2 Likes

Nice update! Can’t wait for a stable sample node though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Feature request for a reset input. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh no. Just saw the note about functions inside…

1 Like

Geeze! How do I expose that reset input?

" Patches are great for condensing otherwise large and unruly patches so that they are easy to “read” and understand what is going on. They’re also great for creating your own custom-packed modules, synthesizers, and effects with UIs that have only the relevant controls exposed to the surface of the Patch…"

I don’t know how to expose elements when a patch/module is already exposed. It’s one thing to do it first run, but seems a bit more involved when altering an existing one. I think I did it, then I put it somewhere. Sometimes I waste hours on dumb little tasks. Months pass, then I have to go and waste hours again.

One of the reasons to have a reset on this is to retain some sense of rhythmic repetition without needing some steps to be at 100% likelihood.

I had posted this album, now am working on some sort of ethnic global drumming stuff. I think that having tight techno elements will work well with a looser, complimentary drumming style.

I am thinking of incorporating the fill sequencers

I also think there is room for a whole suite of ethinic percussive voice modules. I mean, there is more to it than just one bongo like module – even though I have been enjoying the bongo like module. :slight_smile:

The first one I thought would be some sort of bells on an anklet or around the wrist. So you could add that to the total drum composition as an accent.

It would also be nice to have a way that a gate sequencer could recognize when shorter envelopes need to occur, so when you cram 4 ratchet strikes in, the envelope shortens based on that necessity.

I don’t expect anyone to be interested, but if anyone is I think there is some room here to do some really amazing stuff. But I also think, it should result in complete objects and not just an exercise in “I can make that.” I am interested in the complete objects because when composing I like to work fast and sometimes spending too much time building, results in unfinished tracks and forgotten projects.

This thing is rad.

It ended up in the build thread:

I decided not to add the reset to the top post for the reasons mentioned, but it’s probably a good idea to link to the other thread :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would it be too costly on the processor to have a 32 step reticulated gate sequencer? Just thinking about drums. Really good drums. 64 steps would be nice but 32 would cut it. Then it wouldn’t be too hard to just snap modulate some steps at once as though it were a page change.

@robertsyrett sorry about the delay on this reply. I have had limited availability for the last few months after relocating and starting a new job on the west coast. That being said, I am slowly getting back up to speed with rhe happenings on this forum, and HOLY :cow2:!!! LOL

This module is INCREDIBLE, and the full size demo (which ran on my iPhone XS Max, surprisingly, a true testament to the power of current iPhone/iPad Pro tech) is Sooooo good man! Well done :smiley:

I have been tinkering and trying to figure out a good way to do this for a year, and you cracked the code before me. This is super dope, and as per usual, I wish I had a brain like yours, my friend. You are a master of this art form! :exploding_head:

2 Likes