Question newbie

I am quite an amateur when it comes to music. I mess around in Garage Band periodically and have never made anything of any worth.

I stumbled across this app several times and it looks intriguing, perhaps too complicated. I’m thinking about purchasing and wondered if it is an app that someone with no coding or music skill could benefit from?

Also are there any tutorials one could look at without purchase to see the learning curve it will require?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

3 Likes

Have a look under Categories at Learn/Intro To Audulus Tutorials. There are several videos that will give you a good idea of what Audulus is all about. This would be a good one to start with:

1 Like

It’s been the best learning tool to help me understand the audio synthesis world and has been the best tool available for me to use as a sort of swiss army knife for digital audio/musical needs. The forum community is always willing to help with any questions or problems you may run into as well. Can’t recommend it enough.

1 Like

Thx for the replies. I will check out your suggestions when I have a bit more time.

1 Like

I am only interested in the iPhone app. Does it have a keyboard, or do you need an external?

1 Like

There is a built in keyboard available on the iOS version, although an external keyboard makes it much easier to play. There’s not a lot of room for a keyboard on an iPhone (or iPad) :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

As @stschoen mentioned, there is a built in, but if you get into it (and you probably will, as this app and community are so incredibly helpful and fun to interact with, and have the potential to teach you all that you want to know about modular synthesis and sound design without having to spend thousands on hardware and lessons to learn how to use it), I would recommend that you pick up something compact, but with a lot of controls, like the Korg NanoKey Studio or the Arturia Minilab Studio, as they have not only the keys for playing, but also the buttons and knobs for controlling other parts of yours or others’ creations that you are utilizing for synthesis.

I have the Korg NK Studio, and it is just the right mix amount of “exactly what I need for Audulus” control, capability and portability (which is important for an iOS MIDI controller, if you expect to take it places with you). Also, the NKS takes batteries, and it is Bluetooth MIDI capable, which is another bonus for the portability and convenience! I hope you find what you’re looking for! :smile:

Thanks @stschoen , not a neewbie but farely nooblish