Pocket operator modular system

It will probably be a rompler for many people, but you can load your own samples from an SD card, which is honestly pretty nice. I kind of wish I could do that with the Digitakt.

So how does the upload work with Digitakt? Everything should be better than the Octas Compact Flash Card :smirk:

1 Like

There is a proprietary piece of software that allows you to upload over USB and it automatically converts media to 48K audio (I forget the bit resolution) for optimal play. With the OT you had to know how to make something a 44.1k/16-bit sample on your own.

It’s kind of true! I love how you can just turn the OT into a hard drive and load whatever you want on it. I could even use my octatrack to stash my audulus patches!

2 Likes

Yeah, you’re right. Proprietary software to access key features of your hardware totally sucks. One of the reasons I turned to modular. Unfortunately things get worse there too, although a lot of people keep up the spirit w/ open source and DIY. Manufacturers like Mutable Instruments totally prove that it is possible to have (commercial) success and let the community contribute and evolve your products :pray:

2 Likes

I notice that the Teenage Engineering items are already sold out on their site.

:joy:

2 Likes

It can run on batteries :battery:

2 Likes
2 Likes

These synths are so appealing, I really enjoy the teenage engineering design charm. And they seem to sound pretty good too!

The only thing that has me a little puzzled as a design choice is the placement of the patch points above the knobs. Cuckcoo seems to be struggling to get to the knobs (which seem a little fiddly to start off with) underneath the sea of cables.

With the cables at the bottom of each module at least the top row would be easily accessible. Especially on the 170, this seems like a strange choice.

I guess one could try mounting them upside down.

1 Like

Baseck’s first run on this thing was great! He is the “king of the demo” as Fred Simmons (Foot Fist Way) would say.

1 Like

Cuckoo seemed puzzled for the majority of his run haha. I guess it’s probably not easy jumping on a system after Baseck. I’m a big fan of their design as well, but now that you point it out that is a strange choice for the placement of the patch points. Still want to get my hands on one to tinker around. Hopefully my local synth shop gets some in when they’re available.

1 Like

Oh wow. This looks cool! Add this to my growing list of Teenage Engineering products I’d love to own.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Man, people on reddit are so maaaaaad about the build quality of the 400 series, which is funny because you build it yourself. I think part of it is spill over from anger that the OP-1 is now more expensive than ever and part of it is they thought they were buying a lego kit and insead got Ikea furniture.

1 Like

Here’s DivKid’s video on putting it together:

DivKid comments on the quality of the knobs not being so great in his video on building the 400. I guess that’s not something one really has control over, even when building the system yourself. He also finds them a bit fiddly when trying to adjust the frequency of the oscillators.

1 Like

After watching the Baseck demo above when it first came out I thought it might be fun to try piecing together something along the lines of the 400 only using the standard modules from the new, refaced Audulus library,

The first hitch I ran into when trying to recreate something along the lines of Baseck’s patch was the LFO not extending into audio range. Looking through DivKid’s video a lot of his patches also make use of audio rate modulation. With Audulus it is of course easy enough to insert a little converter expression, but I’ve been thinking that perhaps this could somehow be taken into account/made easier with the Audulus library modules. As it is now there’s a very clear division between modulation and audio.

1 Like

Again with the irony, the knobs are compatible with all the lego brick shafts. That’s the one part that is easy to augment with third party stuff.

It’s pretty easy to do this - just make the expression going into the Hz input of the Phasor x*x*x*100 and you’ll be able to easily dial in both low and high frequencies. The higher you have it go, the more exponential you want the input to be so it can cover more range more “equally.”

1 Like

@RileyGuy those are indeed bonkers for live performances really• feels plastic cuz it is :sweat_smile:
Peace

2 Likes