My journey to Audulus...now, ¿What?

Hello everyone,

I played around with Audulus, on iPad and Mac since few months and changes totally my approach to make music.

I love the KISS philosophy but I started to love some sound design and pay attention more to “sound” than “composition”.

The thing is, I’m become an “overtone” enthusiastic after feedling with 0-coast a few weeks ago.

After that, I spent hours with 1-toast, but not from a generative perspective, but with one keyboard. I played violin/piano a few years ago, so I love “play-by-myself” thing.

I have a Behringer Neutron and I want to pair to some timbres and overtone sounds like 0-Coast / DPO.

My question here is…Audulus can do “anything” from a easy modules modular perspective, so, what do you do in my position?

Buy an 0-Coast and play with Neutron/0-Coast/Audulus?

Buy an ES-8 and…put euros in the modular hole rabbit?

Wait to Audulus 4 and see the midi implementation and new features?

I know that is very confuse but…I’m a litte excited about the Audulus capacities

Thank you very much!

3 Likes

I was weighing similar options, and ended up going with the Pittsburgh Modular Microvolt 3900 because it is a lot like the 0-Coast, and it has a few upgrades. I had some similar questions in this thread:
https://discourse.audulus.com/t/microvolt-3900-midi-kb-a3-audiobox-itwo-interface/2033?u=stevo3985
I hope you will find some useful info. Many of the same thoughts and questions were addressed there. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What do you think of the Neutron? I’m looking at one myself and would welcome your input. :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

I can definitely relate to the impulse to check out the analog side of the world, especially as there is so much to be drawn from the designs of companies like MakeNoise. Personally I started with the 0-Coast and then expanded to a small case (with an ES-8). Then I expanded to three eurorack cases and have been working my way back to one small case.

This was not the most financially responsible course in retrospect. Most of the modules I bought were the result of extreme curiosity about what I could do if I had ____. So first I would build a facsimile in Audulus, buy the actual module, refine the Audulus version, then cool off on using the module to and begin fixating on the next module and buy another case to make room for it. If I had it to over again, I probably would have stuck with the small case and just rotated through modules of interest while keeping a core of my favorites. My core of favorites includes an ES-8, Maths, Mutable Instruments Plaits, Turing Machine, and some Distings. The reason for this is that ES-8 with Audulus kind of absorms the role of a lot the utilities people have in their cases. Trusting that Audulus will carry the load for logic, generative sequencing, and most sound effects I feel free to part ways with interesting modules that do more or less the same.

I still occasionally use my 0-Coast, and for a long time it was my main piece of modular gear. It’s a great stand-alone synth for pairing with a DAW for creating sounds reminiscent of huge complex patches through layering. But I think it’s safe to say that modular is about more than the final product, and the 0-Coast is a great sidekick to a system with more patchpoints as well.

Also, if you are seriously considering taking the plunge into modular because you enjoy the creative freedom, I strongly recommend joining a local meet-up. Seeing and using some of the gear available in a candid surrounding will help satisfy some of the curiosity that watching youtube demos cannot.

So to summarize:

0-Coast - A great self-contained system that works well with others

ES-8 - A quantum leap in controlling gear, allows me to part ways with modules because I know I can do something similar in Audulus.

Going full modular - Join a modular meet-up, see other people’s systems and gauge if that’s the right creative path for you.

Getting a small modular case - A small or medium-sized (~104 HP) case is the sweet spot for patching. An underappreciated advantage of modular if the ability to rotate modules while keeping the modules that you like the most.

3 Likes

I would go this route. I have found that since I base everything around Audulus, there is no consumer rabbit hole. As @robertsyrett has mentioned. Quite often when you watch some video on a new module, it turns out you can do it in Audulus. I think that the other side to it is that, really, understanding what you are doing is a lot of the joy. Audulus seems to encourage this, rather than a hardware module with all the sweet spots. However, there are specific tasks that lend themselves to hardware modules and one may also appreciate a classic tool in hardware. Furthermore, there are computational limitations when you try to do too much in Audulus, so figuring out where you want to use it is key. In a way, it is useful for figuring out if you want to dedicate a physical space in your rack to a specific function or if you just want to explore the technique once and a while for a specific project.

All that being said, what I have noticed is that Audulus with an ES-8 doesn’t give me the ability to do everything at once; what it does is allow me to reconfigure my patches in terms of what I want to do. I actually really like this because then once I get the specific tool/patch going, I then get creative about what I haven’t used which makes every project unique. Good Luck.

4 Likes

Continuing the discussion from My journey to Audulus…now, ¿What?:

Thanks!

Yeah, a good ideas in your topic. Regarding VCVRack, good idea for experiment, a high-level alternative to Audulus.

I love this beast. I know that is Behringer and blablabla…but is a MONSTER. And cheap. Very very cheap. I believe that with a good modulation (one of the reasons which I need more CV modulation) is a no brainer.

A little test about two different uncommon tones (FM bell and Paraphonic) on Neutron that I just patch. Dry signal.

https://soundcloud.com/paremicos/neutron-tones

An Analog beast, with everything that entails.

1 Like

Sir…

You gave me the BEST ANSWER EVER.

The thing is, I’m in love with wavefolding.

Maybe a small case with modulations for Neutron and ES-8 is my choice for fun.

I’ll try to make my like-buchla-cheap instrument.

2 Likes

The Intelligel 𝜇Fold II is a nice hardware wavefolder at a reasonable price.

2 Likes

I’ve been listening a lot of demos and reviews about different wavefolders and maybe Bastl Timber is the more warm and versatile that I found.

But, after that, I downloaded Madrona Aalto and…oh my god, this is all that I need. Complex Oscillator, Waveguide/Delay, Polyphonic…

So, maybe I’ll use Eurorack to play only with Eurorack/Audulus and Aalto/Repro-5 to my “melodic and playable” needs

2 Likes

I love Aalto, too.