Kick Drum

There is a fine art to mixing a kick drum. I do not build modules but the most versatile and impactful kick patch I have used is this one.

Rough DD Kick.audulus (84.5 KB)

If anyone feels like putting it in a better package or adding anything I would appreciate it.
:nail_care:t2:

4 Likes
3 Likes

checking out :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for the compliment :cowboy_hat_face: The uKick 909 is modeled on the 909 circuitry. I like your use of two in combination. Don’t know how I missed the post.

3 Likes

Here is a very standard setting for the kick patch. For some reason the patches need to be retuned sometimes – like they drift and you have to find the sweet spots again. :no_mouth:

Rough DD Kick (Tweaked).audulus (125.1 KB)

4 Likes

I think it’s probably your ear that’s drifting, not the patch :cowboy_hat_face: In any case it’s good practice to retune your kick (and other tunable percussion) to the root of whatever key your performing in. A kick that sounds great in one patch may not be what you want for another. I added all the knobs instead of using fixed values because I like the ability to tweak the sound.
You should bundle your patch into a module and post it over in the modules category, I’m sure it will be well received. After watching the video above I decided to slightly modify the uKick. I connected the pulse generated by the gate to the oscillator sync so the oscillator phase stays constant.
uKick 909 V1.1.audulus (24.3 KB)

5 Likes

It has happened often enougth to me that I hab a percussive sound that I‘ve already tweaked a hundred times and that I think sounds nice. But then I start to hear one litle thing that realy bothers me so I tweake it again (and again and again :sweat_smile:)

5 Likes

I’ve been wanting to make a tuneable kick drum that wraps note input into a single octave - so you just input notes and if they go up past a certain octave, they go back down and stay within a normal kick range. Just a thought but would seem like a cool kick tool.

1 Like

Or detune your kick. One of the reasons I am hunting for a live sampler is I want to be able to adjust parameters on analog percussion based on the acoustics of the performance space/venue, then free up the equipment to make other samples with.

1 Like

I am not sure if he meant to, but this FM drum module @robertsyrett posted in his drum fill sequencer example patch sounds like it is the heaviest kick Audulus has produced.

All the knobs are very useful and the waveform selection is awesome.

FM Kick.audulus (48.0 KB)

2 Likes

Cool! That was actually my best effort to make something approximating the FM percussion of the Elektron Machine Drum. I wasn’t looking at the specs but rather just listening to musical examples of the machine drum and thinking about what I would to to approximate that.

2 Likes

You might want to post the FM drum in the modules section of the forum. Personally, having a tool like that in my arsenal is, well…the FM drum module you made has many sweet spots, lots of range, and few dead zones.

1 Like