Interfacing elektron with Modular

@futureaztec, I can commiserate with your Canuck brick & mortar cable quest woes. Been there. The path of least resistance led to ordering cables from Monoprice.com or AVShop.ca if there was enough in the order to have free shipping kicked in. The second video featured a midi to CV module which reminded me of a stand alone midi to CV interface I heard about at MW and ordered from the UK. It’s configurable as well: http://www.six4pix.uk/cvocd/patch.asp
I have yet to use it but plan to shortly.

1 Like

That CV.OCD is a steal of a deal!

What a beast!

Finally got to try out the Digitakt. Another funny experience with sales people. The line I got is that the people working there are far to busy to be “playing” with modular. I tried to nicely explain that maybe if they provided more patch cables for their demo equipment and created a comfortable place in their huge store to use all of the equipment they already have out for people to try, things might open up a bit. All it did was make be look like a jerk. I broke through though and was able to get the Digitakt over to a desk with a chair and some headphones. Apparently even though they sell all the elektron stuff (and have for years), I am a negative person because I was visibly “disappointed” that no one could explain/demonstrate/introduce me to any of the equipment. I said, “look, is there some way that I can behave in this situation so that I am not irritating anyone?” That seemed to diffuse the stupid vibes.

I want to say one thing. Sometimes people who have knowledge in an area are not negative – it is just that the person who doesn’t have that knowledge has some self-esteem issue. However, just as jealousy is often invisible to the jealous person (it often crops up as ‘justified’ anger or hatred), perceiving someone of knowledge as arrogant or insensitive is a slick tactic for focusing on an irrelevant aspect of a situation and helping yourself out of an opportunity to share insights. Huge problem we have.

When I did a bit of sales, all I would do when someone came in who seemed to know more than me about products is just switch roles – have them show me what they know. Often they would end up sharing vital information and sell themselves the product. It would be a fun experience and I would get the sale.

The Digitakt: Wow! I figured it out in about 10 minutes. The immediacy of envelopes and modulation is sooooooooo fun! Unfortunately, because they didn’t create a modular/synth lab room at the music store, I didn’t feel comfortable trying out the workflow that interests me. I want to live sample my rack sounds (drum hits, for example), and perform with them right away: Make a kick with a LP filter, then sample it, then repurpose the LPF for something else, but have that kick all setup in the digitakt. The thing is though – the kicker – is that I want to be able to do this in a way that is fast enough that it can all be done from scratch, live.

Anyone seen videos on this?

You can sort of see it here but the jump cuts really mask the workflow.

1 Like

The Sampling in the Digitakt is a 3 step process:

1. Capture - You can monitor what is being captured, however once you have stopped recording monitoring stops until you save your sample or clear the sample buffer.

2. Trim - This is the only time you can zoom in and see the waveform properly. Normalization happens automatically and I don’t think you can change that.

3. Save/Assign - You save and name your sample and have the option of assigning it to a track in your pattern.

As you can see there is a gap in monitoring and playback where you trim and save. If you want to grab something from the modular as you sequence it, you will have to split the signal.

Have you seen all the Simon interviews? I think he makes some insightful points about how he designed the interface for the digi-line of products.

2 Likes