Hell's Bells

This was composed using a combination of Audulus and the Neutron and Model D synths. The opening and closing sections are a generative patch in Audulus. The percussion was created with the Neutron helped by envelopes generated by Audulus. The synth voices are also a mix of Audulus and the analog units. The sequencing was created using Audulus and Max for Live sequencers. All the effects other than the reverb were created using Audulus.

5 Likes

You should check out the convolution reverb pack, it’s has some experimental places like underwater that sound quite amazing.

I like the contrast of the grittier analog synths contrasted with the more metallic and precise digital voices.

2 Likes

I used the convolution reverb on this track. It’s become my favorite reverb. Lots of variety and a great sound.

2 Likes

This is super cool! I really need to explore the generative music thread more, haha.

3 Likes

Thanks

2 Likes

If you’re interested, I posted the patch used to open and close the piece here:

2 Likes

Oh, cool, thank you! I’ll definitely check it out.

1 Like

@stschoen @robertsyrett - is Max for Live worth $200? I was looking into acquiring it so I could play around with programming some Ableton stuff, but if that is the cost of admission, I may be out. I am still curious because I respect both of your opinions a great deal.

Also, great track, @stschoen! I am finally off my hiatus! I am so happy to be back in full swing with my apartment unpacked (half anyway lol), an internet connection, synths are being unpacked and set back up this week, and I have plenty of beautiful scenery just outside my window and seemingly everywhere I look. I am not only a fan of the style of synthesis, but also a fan of the location. The west coast is so dope! I love living in Seattle, and I guess there is a pretty large population of synth nerds, just like me, all around in this wonderful city :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the kind words. I enjoyed putting it together although I got stuck for inspiration a few times.
Glad you made it to Seattle! Moving is always pretty stressful, but it’s also pretty exciting. Seattle is a beautiful city.
If you’re interested in Max for Live you might want to invest some time in looking at PureData first. It’s basically the open source version of Max/MSP. It was originally developed by some of the same programmers and shares many of the same basic concepts. If you like working in PD then you’ll find M4L very similar. It’s freely available at:
http://puredata.info
Max for Live is a version of Max/MSP specifically designed for Ableton Live. All M4L patches run within Ableton and all I/O is via Live. It doesn’t run standalone.
I got M4L as part of the Live Suite version. I got a bundle of Live Suite and a Push 2 controller when it was on sale from AMS. In addition to M4L I was interested in all the soft synths and other instruments included with the Suite version. I thought I’d do more programming in M4L than I actually have. Although it has capabilities that Audulus doesn’t, I don’t find it as satisfying to program in. I’ve written a few things but nothing too complex. There are a ton of free M4L devices available though, and some of those I use on a regular basis. The convolution reverb is really nice and I use a couple of the sequencers. It’s certainly the best way to extend Live’s capabilities.

1 Like

I don’t use M4L at all. I mean, I have used things created with it but the actual usefulness isn’t something I have explored much. Audlus is good enough 99% of the time anyway. I thought Standard Live was great while I had it, so I think you are probably safe. The added effects and instruments in the suite version are great as well, I have very little desire to collect plug-ins beyond what Ableton provides since I upgraded.

1 Like