Feature Request Megathread

feedback
megathread

Thanks. It would be great if that initial module/sub-patch could be done without having to exit. This is especially true when one is getting started and putting together one’s toolbox.

There was talk a while ago about Audulus hosting AUv3’s. Is there a hope in hell this will happen in Audulus 3?

There is no more significant feature development going into Audulus 3 other than the new library (which is still very significant and will be ongoing). We have to stop working on Audulus 3 in order to start working on 4.

Windows will still get the update to parity with Mac but no new features are going to be added to 3.

I’m definitely out of the loop, what does the Mac version have that the windows does not yet?

SVG graphics and an improved audio engine for the most part.

Okay great, thank you!

I was reading tea leaves and I think that will change pretty soon.

I regret to inform that all further Audulus 3 development will be in the patch library. So it looks like we will have to look to within and make the most of our present circumstances.

Luckily Audulus is still great! #KeepAudulusGreatContinually

In Audulus 4, I would love to be able to group objects without turning the selection into a subpatch. Maybe there could be “group” which just locks things together as in graphics apps and “sub-patch” which does what “group” currently does. I often have groups of items that I want to keep together and move together but which I don’t want to move out of the current patch level.

Does lasso not work well enough for what you want to do? I personally don’t find it too hard to lasso stuff and move them around when I need to.

It depends.

On iOS at least, the lasso is pretty good but in a patch that has a lot of objects in it, it sometimes takes a frustrating amount of time (which might just be seconds) to select the desired group without getting stragglers or missing one. And the other thing is that when I know that a block of items go together, it takes one out of the flow in order to have to go through that re-selection process. Daily, I end up accidentally moving or not moving something that I wanted to move as part of the group and then have to spend a chunk of time getting the item moved and re-aligned.

Would it not be also frustrating to have to un-group something just to move one element, then regroup it to move it as one again? And if everything in the group is exactly where it needs to be without needing to move any element, at that point, why not make it a subpatch?

In the cases, I am thinking of, the tap or two to ungroup wouldn’t be a problem. And subpatched won’t work without a lot of additional work because user interfaces of subpatches disappear when subpatched AND you then have re-arrange exposed interface items. Creating and editing the ui of subpatches is a buzzkill as much as I love Audulus.

@biminiroad: I just ran into one of those cases where being able to have objects ‘grouped’ without having to re-select each time would have save a bunch of frustration. I have a bunch of LEDs, inputs and text fields that need to stay together at two levels: an input, LED and text label go together – as well as a bunch of those. The situation was I needed to change the number of input/LED/text groups to add a couple of options in one patch. It would have been nice to be able to move the whole panel of LED/input/text groups at once and also the individual groups (by ungrouping the whole panel of things when I needed to add or rearrange the group.

Ideally, one wants to be able to have nested groups (i.e. group an LED/input/text set as a group and also be able to group together those elements into a larger group). Most object-based graphics apps have such functionality.

To add to the frustration, it doesn’t seem like multiple selections work when in edit ui mode – but maybe I am missing something.

A related thought occurred to me which maybe is discussed in this thread but I missed it: it would be great if Audulus had separate patch-design and ui-design modes. Patch-design mode would the the mode that currently exists. In ui-design mode, you get to arrange things the way that you want them to appear when you are using a patch. This way you could rough-in the user ui look while in a subpatch so that when going up a level to the subpatch’s container, the ui is basically there – rather than having to go through that painful process of going back and forth between parent and child to get the user interface straightened out.

I love Audulus and feel like refinements like this will make it much more usable especially for non-experts.

Is this difficult to do with lasso?

We’re going to do something in A4 where you can move things on a module’s panel together as a group, but I don’t know if we’d do this for nodes. Maybe this is what you’re talking about?

We don’t want to add too many things that would require extra UI or potentially confuse new users when they enter a patch and everything is moving around like a unit.

A nested group situation would add to the UI considerably, too, unfortunately.

I don’t know if anything I do with rearranging nodes themselves is “expert” - I try to be neat and have a clear flow of signal and I just do that as I build usually. I’ve mostly done that since I started Audulus though I have gone through a couple different styles.

What I mean by expert is that through a lot of experience, you have probably developed methods that reduce your inefficiency when arranging and rearranging elements within Audulus. When I was trying to figure out how to do some things, I happened upon a post from you talking about the difficulties you were running into having to bounce back and forth from the main level to inside a subpatch. I am in that phase right now. I imagine a lot of users encounter that and many probably give up.

I am getting better at knowing what order I should try to expose elements to make it less painful – and I am sure that I will get better. But, I’ve been at this point with Audulus before and given up – and I have read (on other fora) about people being intrigued but giving up (at least on iOS).

It is my belief that this could be improved pretty immensely without a hugely different ui.

Anyway, I won’t harp on it, but I really think that one could expand the active user base if the flow were refined to be a bit less frustrating.

I love Audulus.

Btw, Xequence on iOS has a brilliant mechanism. It can recognize whether a file has been auto-saved or manually saved. And it is possible to get back to the manually saved version if you need to. I imagine that what this means is that when you manually save, it makes a copy somewhere that it can restore if you need to. It also provides a Save As.

I gather from the dev that it was not terribly painful to implement – and it has been a godsend a number of times.

Yeah, presets or some way of saving recallable snapshots is really need to make this usable for a lot of people. As I work with cool synths like 0-Toast or the Audulus Easel I am trying to get working, I find combinations of settings that are amazing and I hate to have to save a complete version of the file just to snapshot the settings.