Feature Request Megathread

Thanks… Didn’t see it. Too intuitive.

2 Likes

Duh :cowboy_hat_face: Tried long press, slide etc. Didn’t think to try tap

1 Like

I’ll have to start saying that

1 Like

Audio rate oscilloscope is coming to Audulus 4. You can use this clever hacky one for the time being. Doesn’t work well to analyze FM’ing waveforms though.

Scope Demo.audulus (32.0 KB)

3 Likes

Maybe I’m blind, but WAVETABLES?

1 Like

Here you go :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks

2 Likes

Hi! Right now, even in polyphonic mode, when a key is pressed and released, the next key will “cut” its release phase. It would be nice to be able to prevent this by making the keyboard change voice at every new key.

1 Like

When the keyboard is set to polyphonic, both the frequency and gate signals become polyphonic, so one key’s release shouldn’t affect the next key. Also when in polyphonic mode the gate is fixed at one, rather than being velocity sensitive. I believe that will be corrected in a future update. In the interim, I developed a patch to provide velocity when running in poly mode.

I’ve connected a meter and value node to the modified keyboard node which is set for 4 note polyphony. You can see that there are 4 gate signals and 4 frequencies. I’ve also connected an ADSR and Oscillator node. You’ll note that the PolyToMono node is placed after the Oscillator node. Because there is a quad signal on both the gate and frequency ouputs, there will actually be 4 copies of the Oscillator running which are independently controlled by the 4 copies of the ADSR, so each note has its own sustain and release. You will need to open the module if you want tot change poly mode or channel.
Polyphonic MIDI interface with Velocity Demo.audulus (10.9 KB)

1 Like

BTW, since multiple copies of the oscillator and envelope control logic are needed when running in polyphonic mode, using higher values of polyphony can create a significant load on the CPU. It’s best to limit polyphony to what you will actually need, and convert back to a mono signal as early in the signal path as is practical. For example if I wanted to add a Delay node for some echo, I would place it after the PolyToMono node rather than before, to avoid having multiple copies of the Delay node running.

The problem is that the polyphonic behavior only works when the next key is pressed before the previous key is released.

For example, I downloaded your patch and did the following:

A)

1. pressed 880 Hz key:

1. release the key and while the 880Hz sound was still running (because of a long release parameter), I pressed the 440Hz key:

The issue is that the 440Hz key is triggered on the same voice/oscillator than was the 880Hz key, interrupting the release phase of the 880Hz sound (producing an unwanted legato effect).

B)
Now, if I do the same thing first:

1. press the 880Hz key
    But then:
  2. Without releasing the 880Hz key, press the 440Hz key.

Now the keys are pressed on different voices as they should.

It would be nice if the keyboard always behaved like in B) as opposed to A), regardless of the fact that the previous key is still being held or not. It looks like instead of automatically switching to voice 2, the keyboard checks if voice 1 is currently »available » and if so uses it, but that causes some unwanted « legato » behavior.

2 Likes

I see what you mean. I misunderstood your initial comment. Since the keyboard node has no way to determine if a note is still sounding, it wouldn’t be possible to use that as the basis for a channel switch. If the keyboard simply rotated the active poly channel instead of starting from the first channel each time it would reduce the issue. I ran into some similar problems building a poly keyboard latch. I could probably build something that would rotate the active channel at least for 4 note polyphony. Unfortunately there’s currently no way to break out an 8 or 16 channel signal. I’ll give it some thought.

1 Like

@Mederic - Thanks for pointing this out! We have it solved in the latest beta. The way it works now is like this:

Each new note pressed gets assigned to its own poly channel. That note will remain on the same channel as long as the poly count hasn’t been exceeded (playing 5 notes with 4 polyphony). If the number of channels is exceeded, the oldest note is dropped and the new note is assigned to that channel.

The beta seems to be working well so it should be released in no time!

:+1:

5 Likes

Glad to hear it! :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Thank you very much for your replies, thx in advance for the next release, and for Audulus altogether :wink:

2 Likes

Actually, there is a case where that legato effect might be wanted while in poly mode: when you sweep through notes.

I think it could be done by detecting if the distance between the note on time of a key X and the note off time of key Y is under some very small threshold. If so, the « sweeping » is detected and the key X is triggered on the same channel as the key Y. Of course it would be an optional feature, as it’s not always the behavior one might want, but here is an example when it would be useful to have a more « organic » feel with an instrument:

When you play a solo synth string patch, it would allow to have sometimes glissandos like when the violinist slides along a given string, and sometimes independent notes like when the violinist switches strings to play a note, letting the first string naturally decay/release while the second string is attacking (that last behavior is not possible in legato mode).

Please add a MIDI-Out Module! :hugs:

6 Likes

Once that happens (yes that is in the works) Audulus will be controlling all my synths :raised_hands:

3 Likes

Might be fun to have arbitrary delay (z-N) with feed forward capabilities in Audulus 4.

4 Likes

The Moog Model 15 app for iOS allows for a QWERTY keyboard to be used as an actual keyboard to trigger the notes (as well as other app-specific shortcuts as well). Although it may not be the most requested on the list, adding keyboard functionality to be able to trigger notes in place of the onscreen keyboard as well as the ability to have shortcuts for regularly used Audulus processes I think would be extremely useful.

I have the Apple keyboard with my iPad Pro and tend to use this feature on the Model 15 app a lot when out and about. This is the only iOS synth I know that offers this feature and I don’t understand why more iOS music apps don’t implement similar features for those that don’t always have a MIDI keyboard with them but may have a Bluetooth QWERTY or the Apple keyboard.

6 Likes