Combining Audulus with Korg Gadget on iPad

I can use all those ins and outs:
INS
1+2 are stereo in one (gadget only records stereo so I am patching stereo on the modular)
3+4 are stereo in two (two Zurich gadgets can record separately)
OUTS
1+2 Gadget to headphone monitor using Rosie
3+4 Audulus Sound Sources
5-8 Audulus CV

One one recording I made full use, but most of the time I will use 2 inputs (one stereo input) and 5 of the outputs.

2 Likes

Well that is frustrating. I can’t replicate what I did! hah. I am used to these blocks in the middle of my process though. So figuring it out is not urgent. At least I made one track!

This is why people prefer to deal with cv.

3 Likes

And those of us that cannot just have to look on with envy lol. I have managed to get a pretty good handle on routing MIDI in and out of all of my gizmos, but troubleshooting and fixing complex issues in tech is what I do professionally, so it is simple for me to use the scientific method of experimentation, make educated guesses, and tweak until things work. I enjoy problem solving and the feeling I get when something finally clicks.

Not everyone will be willing or able to persistently dedicate hours and hours to reading forums and manuals, and repeat slightly altered processes to figure out why something so simple with CV is not working with MIDI because of a routing problem somewhere in the stack. I feel like manufacturers in the music/tech world would be doing themselves a favor by making complex MIDI routing more simplistic or making tools and appliances for CV a more commonly available/affordable option for artists to work with.

2 Likes

We have a new MIDI standard coming soon that may make things much simpler. At the very least it will move us away from the 7 bit limitation that restricts most CC values to 0 - 127 (although even the current standard actually provides for 14 bit CCs). It depends on how quickly the new standard is adopted. Here’s some info
https://www.midi.org/articles-old/details-about-midi-2-0-midi-ci-profiles-and-property-exchange

1 Like

Regarding the MIDI clock sync trick (click track), although I suppose it applies to all midi control between Gadget and Audulus:

okay so as usual when you get stuck, sometimes walk away and come back and it works.

@robertsyrett is right. When you are sending midi out of Tapei, and you also have Audulus running, you can just select Audulus as the destination within the Gadget app. You select this when zoomed out in this screen.

If you are running Gadget and Audulus an IAA plugin within AUM, you select AUM as the destination. In AUM itself, you also use the routing matrix to send the signal from Aum to Audulus.

If you hit play in Gadget, the sync pulse will blink in the matrix window above, making the routing easier.

This is a single device method.

3 Likes

Here’s a bunch of music that was made with Korg Gadget (drums and cheesy vocal samples) and Audulus with the ES-8 Modular set up. But then I proceeded to put all those gadget clips in Ableton Live and play them like a live set. I then spent about a week going over this live improvisation and adding field recordings from San Francisco and some analog synths with dub style effects.

2 Likes

I like the cheesy vocals :cowboy_hat_face:. I also like the way the multiple beats at the start that sort of fight among themselves until a consistent tempo emerges. You always manage to come up with an interesting soundscape.

2 Likes

I am just working out the two device method for MIDI over bluetooth between Gadget and Audulus. So far I have been able to reproduce the setup I lost from the other day. Basically I can run Gadget on the iPad, then send MIDI over bluetooth through AUM from the iPad to an iPhone. The iPhone is running standalone Audulus. This is important because if Audulus has a host on the same device you get limited by only two audio outputs (I could be wrong, as it sounded like @robertsyrett may have not had this issue with the single device method). Here, the ES-8 is fully functional with Audulus.

• Once more, I think what is exceptional here is the working setup. You should be able to hook an iPhone/iPad/MacBook up to your ES-8 and run Audulus. Then you sit on the couch with your other device iPad/iPhone/MacBook running Gadget. This device you have on the couch running gadget, can the be hooked up to a keyboard or drumpad or whatever controller. You end up with full remote daw control over your rack or any CV device. Wow. :sunglasses::musical_keyboard:

• note: It’s very sensitive to the order in which Gadget and Audulus are opened. You may have to shut them down and reopen them.

2 Likes

I finally got a chance to have a look at the general MIDI drum mapping. Which drums are you interested in specifically? Of course it’s possible to add additional outputs to the module but that also adds CPU load. I chose 8 outputs because that seemed a reasonable balance but I’m willing to add additional ones if you think it would be useful.

3 Likes

8 is realistically more than enough, maybe each channel can have a selector knob to choose which midi note?

2 Likes

How’s this? I set the note range from 35 to 81 per the general MIDI specs for Drums and the MIDI channel to 10.

General MIDI Drum Trigger V1.0.audulus (45.6 KB)

2 Likes

I got around to testing it out and I think this is nearly perfect!

The only suggestion I would make would be to add lights to the output to better track which outputs are active. Also I ran out of CPU around 5 drum voices, so I think a 4 channel version might reflect the practical limit.

1 Like

Lights are no problem. I can certainly do a 4 channel version. I’ll look over the logic and make sure I haven’t accidentally left something poly that shouldn’t be.

2 Likes

I was surprised that you had CPU issues until I loaded this on my iPad Air 2 and discovered almost 20% CPU. I get spoiled on my Mac. I reworked the logic and managed to get it down to around 5%. I still added a 4 channel version. I moved the post to the Modules category here:
https://discourse.audulus.com/t/general-midi-polyphonic-drum-trigger-with-velocity/2192?u=stschoen
I also updated the original module here:
https://discourse.audulus.com/t/polyphonic-midi-trigger-with-velocity/1531?u=stschoen

2 Likes

I was messing around a little while ago while taking a break from packing up my apartment for the movers coming Friday. I used @futureaztec addition of my Stagger Effect patch, and routed the output of Dublin Gadget our through this patch in AudioBus3, it sounds SOOOOO good. Check it out, see what you think of the effect with the other gadgets. I have been doing all this MIDI routing lately, I completely forgot that there is still the capacity to simply run audio through A3 effects :blush:

Gadget Stagger Effect.audulus (30.9 KB)

2 Likes

The dublin gadget is one of my favorites! I will have to try that out.

2 Likes

Yeah it sounds really interesting. Nice.

3 Likes

I am trying two things using the two device method above. I got stuck in the middle of a creative flow and had to stop.

1. I am trying to send 16th notes out of Taipei but it just shows up as one long gate in the General MIDI module. I imagine this is a setting in Gadget type problem.
  2. Within Gagget, using advanced midi I was trying to send the notes out of Taipei on channel X, hoping to set the midi input channel x on a drum synth. I thought this might be a workaround to get Taipei to fire any other gadget module, but I have had no luck. Then I though it all else fails, maybe I can send MIDI out and then back into Gadget.

Indeed, you need to shorten the length of each note otherwise it becomes just one continuous high gate. You can either shorten each note manually, shorten one bar then copy paste, or use a 32nd note grid and use every note.

Can’t you duplicate the taipei track and then change the gadget type? This works for me.

1 Like

in both answers you went over things I had thought of. Of course the reason why the gate stays high has to do with the gate length in Gadget. I just didn’t see a way to shade the gate a little so I didn’t have to

You asked why couldn’t I just

Well, I was hoping I could route the MIDI from another gadget and then use Taipei to send the midi out. This way I would have a drum machine interface for my eurorack, rather than only Taipei’s piano – like a blank “London” Gadget would be nice.

The first problem I’d really like to solve. The second one I imagine I’ll just have live with because if they need a special module to send midi out, the existing Gadgets probably can’t send midi between track channels.

3 Likes