Combining Audulus with Korg Gadget on iPad

This thread is for everything Audulus+Korg Gaadget. This includes, but not limited to:

Routing Midi
Routing Audio
Routing CV through an ES-8

and more (this list will grow with time)

2 Likes

This thread started elsewhere let me link to some of the previous posts:

https://discourse.audulus.com/t/after-all-isnt-it-about-the-music/1174/212?u=robertsyrett
https://discourse.audulus.com/t/after-all-isnt-it-about-the-music/1174/214?u=robertsyrett
https://discourse.audulus.com/t/after-all-isnt-it-about-the-music/1174/215?u=robertsyrett
https://discourse.audulus.com/t/after-all-isnt-it-about-the-music/1174/216?u=robertsyrett
https://discourse.audulus.com/t/after-all-isnt-it-about-the-music/1174/217?u=robertsyrett

2 Likes

So it looks like I can multi-channel cv sequence out of the ES-8, using Gadget in the way described above. I mean, in terms of writing/arranging this is really exciting.

I am partly cheating though. I have a MacBook that is hooked up to the elektron Analog Four through USB. What this does is provide transport/reset/clock sync from the MacBook through Ableton Link over to the Analog Four. Again, this makes sure the iPad and A4 are transport synced.

Not sure if there is a workaround there. Audulus is not getting its clock directly from this signal, but instead is receiving a clock from mBrane (Yarns) which is getting it from the Analog 4 MIDI out.

• It also allows you to use your iPad with a MIDI keyboard for wireless control over the ES-8. So you can play/sequence your eurorack from the couch.
4 Likes

You can always make a midi clock in Gadget by making a 1-bar loop that is just a 1/32 note every 1/16 beat (50% PW) on channel 16 (or any channel really). But I like the Link method, that will make it easy to keep the A4 in line with it’s friends.

Also, you can use the laptop to record the mix? That will make life easy :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is a great hack for playing the screen keyboard and tweaking a screen knob in audulus. Glad that this “just works.”

Sadly if you close audulus, all the Taipei tracks in Gadget forget that they were routed to Audulus and default to “No Output.”

1 Like

Ok, so of you DON’T use Aum and are mindful of your es-8 inputs and outputs the two apps seem to share them quite well, summing the output signals.

I was able to send gadget drums out channel 1 and 2, fm pad from Audulus out 3, and clock cv from gadget sent to Audulus over midi. I messed with the pad using maths and a disting and recorded it in Gadget through input 1 on Zurich, the tape recorder gadget.

I was able to export to ableton, but it only exported the portion of my recording that was in the loop. I wonder how I would get longer recordings out of it.

2 Likes

I don’t quite understand what you did there. Were you just using one device and routing the midi internally, or were you using MIDI over bluetooth with Gadget and Audulus on separate devices?

2 Likes

Same device. I’m just routing the audio out of channel 3 (from audulus) of the ES-8 and back in through channel 1 (through gadget).

Midi is routed internally without a third party app.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Live guitar accompaniment?

1 Like

It’s a guitar-like instrument. I was excited to get something done with Taipei and Audulus.

2 Likes

I got off to a good start yesterday and actually fleshed out a song with Gadget/Audulus and the modular but got distracted by MC-707 videos. But I got a good night’s sleep and am ready to get back at it!

2 Likes

I was playing with the new synths, but got sidetracked watching a Keith Emerson video, which led to watching a 1972 Yes concert. YouTube is great but can be a bit addictive. Watching Emerson and Wakeman and Howe, I realize that even if I had practiced religiously from a very early age, I never would have been that good. Somewhat depressing but also liberating in a strange way. Kind of lets you enjoy what you can do rather than worry about what you can’t.

2 Likes

Ok, do we have a module that breaks out midi from drum tracks to individual triggers somewhere?

I tried to hash out a temporary patch but the A==B I was using wasn’t matching incoming notes for some reason.

3 Likes

You could use trigger notes and give them the midi cc chanels of the midi notes that come in.

3 Likes

I’m not sure how you would use the midi CC, please explain a little more.

3 Likes

Sorry for the misleading answer. Midi CC was the wrong term here. :grimacing:
I meant that you could use the ‘Learn Midi Note‘ feature of the trigger node.
This way you could have separate gate signals for certain incoming midi notes.

4 Likes

Thanks for clarifying. I will try this out tomorrow.

3 Likes

You could also use this Polyphonic MIDI Trigger with Velocity

3 Likes

One thing that has been on my mind would be a way to derive a trigger from a pitch value. Obviously pitch values are more complicated than triggers. But, I would think the two happen at the same time. So why can’t one just pull a trigger signal from a pitch output without having to send both pitch and gate/trig out of two separate outputs. Of course, one doesn’t always want envelopes opening right at the note change, but often I do.

However, even if one could pull two separate cv’s out of one ES-8 output, one would still need to split that signal. That is, one would need another outboard device maybe? Could it be passive… hmmm.

3 Likes