Combining Audulus with Korg Gadget on iPad

Ok, do we have a module that breaks out midi from drum tracks to individual triggers somewhere?

I tried to hash out a temporary patch but the A==B I was using wasn’t matching incoming notes for some reason.

3 Likes

You could use trigger notes and give them the midi cc chanels of the midi notes that come in.

3 Likes

I’m not sure how you would use the midi CC, please explain a little more.

3 Likes

Sorry for the misleading answer. Midi CC was the wrong term here. :grimacing:
I meant that you could use the ‘Learn Midi Note‘ feature of the trigger node.
This way you could have separate gate signals for certain incoming midi notes.

4 Likes

Thanks for clarifying. I will try this out tomorrow.

3 Likes

You could also use this Polyphonic MIDI Trigger with Velocity

3 Likes

One thing that has been on my mind would be a way to derive a trigger from a pitch value. Obviously pitch values are more complicated than triggers. But, I would think the two happen at the same time. So why can’t one just pull a trigger signal from a pitch output without having to send both pitch and gate/trig out of two separate outputs. Of course, one doesn’t always want envelopes opening right at the note change, but often I do.

However, even if one could pull two separate cv’s out of one ES-8 output, one would still need to split that signal. That is, one would need another outboard device maybe? Could it be passive… hmmm.

3 Likes

Thank you, this is the architecture I was looking for! I think I put the PolyToMono node on the wrong side of the note == midi expression.

What might be useful is a version of this mapped to midi channel 10 with the output labeled with the general midi drum mapping. is this possible?

3 Likes

You can change the MIDI channel and map the notes fairly simply inside the module. I chose 60 and a major scale arbitrarily, but you can define each note value separately.

3 Likes

I’ll be glad to make the necessary mods, but I’m away from home at a quilt show with my wife and our internet connection is horrible. Should be home this weekend.

2 Likes

No rush, I’m still having plenty of fun messing around with Gadget/Audulus and the ES-8.

2 Likes

Hey @robertsyrett @futureaztec! I’m glad that you guys mentioned this, as I had kinda forgotten that Taipei was a valuable option for controlling A3 and hardware! Great topic for discussion :smiley:

Anyway, you guys may have already figured this out yourselves, but I read the other night that someone was having trouble with the looping of the tape and having to be present to stop it from overwriting your performance. I did some experimentation earlier, and I think I have found the solution to be in the Function menu of the Zurich recorder module. Just select how many bars you estimate you would like it to run for, select One-Shot and then close the menu.

You can then hit Record and it will not loop back at the end, and also appears to save beyond the number of bars you dedicated for your track record. I haven’t tested this, but it appears you can just add the bars extra or chop it off, and save your file how you wish. I have attached a pic to show what I mean. I hope this is helpful! :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Okay I will check this out. A couple of things:

1. I was trying to get Taipei to work with Audulus last night and got stuck. I felt like I kind of got lucky last time I had it working. So I was thinking about this thread and how others might get stuck. That got me thinking about your questions regarding gear. One thing to keep in mind is that just because you can get everything to work together, doesn’t mean you will want to. In other words, cheaper + more features is not always what gets songs made. One strength of Gadget, is it is a great sketchpad. Sometimes sitting in front of a bunch of gear is fun. Other times, curling up with a little device is a bit of relief if you go on 16 hour creative runs. I also like that I can throw an audio interface in the mix and just record an acoustic instrument live into my iphone. So you are on the couch and you get a beat going. Then you can grab a ukulele or something and just add a riff.

2. Sampling. This is exciting. Gadget has like 5 damn samplers. I am looking through them last night and I still didn’t seem to find what I am looking for. Maybe I can achieve this with Zurich. I just want a way to capture samples live and then be able to trigger them. This way you could build a drum kit on the fly with sounds you shape as needed – while an audience watches. In other words, the workflow has to be immediate enough that you can get variation before the 16 bars or whatever is up.

• I hope that with sampling in Audulus 4, there will be some consideration that even with all of the hardware and software sampling out there, being able to sample in the way described above is still proving elusive. I feel like a lot of room for innovation comes when you try to make music and you hit specific walls.
2 Likes

I have made about 10 tracks with Korg and Audulus sequencing the modular the past week and am pretty confident in this method. My technique has just been to record 16 bars of the modular and then go back and adjust the start point to remove any unwanted latency. Then after I export to Ableton I will do the rest of my trimming and looping.

They honestly Korg should go full blown Ableton Warp mode with the Zurich gadget. Maybe there are reasons they can’t, but as it stands Zurich is handy but not great. The real fun is in just manipulating the Taipei gadget while the jam is live, it’s a great 3-layer system with traditional soft synths, Audulus modular, and Eurorack modular. It might even be viable for live performance depending on how you prep.

3 Likes

:smiley:

The actual settings need to be documented because I just tried to wing it 10 ways and I can’t get Taipei on my iPad to trigger a midi module in Audulus on my iPhone. I feel like I am close. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Sorry, I wan’t clear earlier. You need to use Ableton link and have gadget running on your iphone along with audulus if you want to use more than one device. I think you can even load the same project then save as a new project if you wanted to copy Taipei from one device to the second. Personally I have been keeping it simple, just one iPad and the smallest modular case while messing about and haven’t really run out of things to try.

The nice thing about bouncing modular clips to Zurich is that you can layer and sample playback doesn’t seem to use much CPU so you can be pretty free with it.

2 Likes

I think I may have had something less limited happening. I mean I thought I was somehow using the ES-8 with all ins and outs + Audulus, which was recieving midi from the ipad with taipei.

From what I read on your posts, it sounds like you aren’t using all 4 + 8 on the ES-8. IS that right? Do you have full functionality?

1 Like

I can use all those ins and outs:
INS
1+2 are stereo in one (gadget only records stereo so I am patching stereo on the modular)
3+4 are stereo in two (two Zurich gadgets can record separately)
OUTS
1+2 Gadget to headphone monitor using Rosie
3+4 Audulus Sound Sources
5-8 Audulus CV

One one recording I made full use, but most of the time I will use 2 inputs (one stereo input) and 5 of the outputs.

2 Likes

Well that is frustrating. I can’t replicate what I did! hah. I am used to these blocks in the middle of my process though. So figuring it out is not urgent. At least I made one track!

This is why people prefer to deal with cv.

3 Likes

And those of us that cannot just have to look on with envy lol. I have managed to get a pretty good handle on routing MIDI in and out of all of my gizmos, but troubleshooting and fixing complex issues in tech is what I do professionally, so it is simple for me to use the scientific method of experimentation, make educated guesses, and tweak until things work. I enjoy problem solving and the feeling I get when something finally clicks.

Not everyone will be willing or able to persistently dedicate hours and hours to reading forums and manuals, and repeat slightly altered processes to figure out why something so simple with CV is not working with MIDI because of a routing problem somewhere in the stack. I feel like manufacturers in the music/tech world would be doing themselves a favor by making complex MIDI routing more simplistic or making tools and appliances for CV a more commonly available/affordable option for artists to work with.

2 Likes