AUv3 Delayed Until Audulus 4

Until Audulus has a MIDI recorder built-in, I’ve found that using something like BM3 provides a good way to manage the MIDI recording/looping etc. I’ve also had pretty good results with the free Nord sequencer. As you point out, there is definitely overhead involved in running an IAA/AU host. At this point the options available within Audulus are pretty limited since we don’t really have a good way to store data. I haven’t done any testing, but I would bet that something like BM3 uses less CPU than the MIDI recorder I put together. The big drawback to IAA is the 2 channel limit. I like the idea of doing it all within Audulus, but I think we need an expanded toolset to make that possible.

3 Likes

What is the thinking on Audulus 4 release timing? I know it’s far too early for an exact date, but do you have an idea of what season it’ll probably be released?

Thanks!

1 Like

All I can say is it’s definitely going to be in 2019. We are currently working with Papernoise to hammer out the aesthetics. Once that’s done, we’ll be ploughing into feature development :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like that guy. Did he work on Audulus 3? Also, will it be a radical departure from the current look of Audulus?

1 Like

He did work on Audulus 3 and no, it won’t be radical - it’s more like putting a “pro” polish on Audulus. Things will look less toy-like and more tool-like. So far things are looking a bit like they’d fit in nicely with Logic plugins, but they’re not in any way a copy of the visual style.

4 Likes

Hi Mark, thanks for the update. This thread specifically mentions Audulus AUv3 hosted on iOS. Over on this other thread I had been asking about the present status of Audulus 3 AudioUnit for MacOS.

Are your comments on this thread also applicable to the MacOS version?

FWIW, Audulus AU limitations became a non-issue for me now since I’ve actually had good luck running Audulus 3 standalone on MacOS and connecting it w/ other standalone MacOS apps (e.g. Max/MSP, Logic) via the 3rd party commercial Loopback utility (instead of hosting Audulus as a plug-in within Max/MSP). But I’ll save that story for another thread as it’s no particular help for iOS folks here.

1 Like

Yes, since we’ll be delaying AUv3 for iOS, it will also be delayed for Mac. Ironing out the problems with the iOS version will help with implementing the Mac version :+1:

Thanks!

1 Like

I’ve often used soundflower for the same purpose.

2 Likes

Thanks for these tidbits!

I’ll post some more details about my Loopback-Audulus config on another thread sometime soon.

Soundflower is similar in concept but now released as open source on GitHub. This page describes some common history between Soundflower and Loopback. I’m not sure if they actually share any code. Per my understanding Soundflower is a kernel extension and requires an additional frontend app.

Loopback’s ease of use was selling point for me. It lived up to the promise. The note about “take your chances” on the Soundflower developer page didn’t sound like where I wanted to spend time right at the moment… though I had used it quite successfully on some much older Macs in my studio (SoundFlower included UI and was maintained by Cycling 74 back then IIRC).

2 Likes

Apologies for getting so far off topic here but if we’re talking about inter-application audio routing, I should also mention Jack (Jack Audio Connection Kit). Also a GitHub project now. Another possible solution which I didn’t explore… call me lazy! :smirk_cat:

2 Likes

The software is already overwhelmingly astounding. The notion of a new version is simply mind-melting

4 Likes

I’m sorry guys, I must say it. I was waiting for midi out, from first audulus, before second and third versions of audulus, there were always promises about that. After these years of waiting, I have setting up all my work in max msp. I think, that main power of audulus is in ios. And better choise could be android version to cover these platforms, then mac and pc, on which are other more powerfull options. I didn’t change my opinion that audulus is amazing software and commes always with lifesome updates, but everytime, when I visited forum, there are always talking about UI. I think that audulus was very nice an useful from begining. But, sure, beside nececery UI ajustments, I would give priority to these core functions during that long period of time.

1 Like

The UI we’re talking about is just the standard “new version, new look” tweak. It necessarily has to come first because it kinda drives the way other things are manifested - however, it doesn’t mean it’s more important than anything else we’re adding, including MIDI out. It’s just the first step :slight_smile:

Will we have sample node on audulus 4? :smiley:

2 Likes

Yep! We will.

3 Likes

When I bought Audulus I was allready realy surprised by how mutch you can do with it and I thought that something like a Sampler node would be realy cool.
But it looks like everything I could possibly want in Audulus will be added in Audulus 4.
I‘m realy looking forward to it :grinning:

2 Likes

We’re going to be able to do a lot with the new sampler node - read, write, import, export - loopers, delays, granular stuff, wavetable synthesis, using .wav files as lookup tables…and so on. Very powerful.

8 Likes

It’s been a while since we had any kind of update on progress with AUv3 or Audulus 4 - how near are we with either?

Is there a ball park date that can be shared, or are things not that clear yet in terms of release date?

3 Likes

I think the answer is that completion of A4 is not imminent and that they don’t have a clearer timeline than that. It sounds like a huge project and hard to know how long it will take to complete.

I think @biminiroad gave the sense that it wasn’t likely to be done before the last quarter of 2019.

Is that correct?

2 Likes