Audulus 4? Questions

Given the recent departure of Mark, the dropping of Auudulus from less prominent formats, and Apple’s recent dropping of IAA in iOS13, what is the status of things for Audulus 4? Is this update still on schedule? Any ETA on when the update will be released? In the meantime, how will recent changes affect the functionality of audulus 3?

1 Like

I don’t believe that any testing of Audulus 3 on iOS 13 has been done as yet since the beta has only been released for a couple of days. Although IAA will be deprecated as of iOS 13, it won’t actually be removed from the OS until iOS 14 at the earliest which means at the worst we will have until about Sept 2020. Audiobus is another technology that offers similar capabilities and doesn’t need to rely on IAA so there is already an alternative available. In any case, Apple is deprecating IAA in favor of AUv3. There has already been some limited testing of an Audulus AU on iOS and I expect an AUv3 will be available for Audulus 4 although I don’t believe that any timeframe for release has been set. I will probably load the iOS 13 beta fairly soon and I’ll let you know if I encounter any issues with Audulus 3.

1 Like

It’s so strange that they would drop IAA. While the paradigm of AU definitely covers most of the same territory, I think routing audio without a specialized DAW app or Audiobus had a lot of value. I’m glad Audiobus still exists though!

2 Likes

I think that ultimately the AU standard will provide the same basic functionality. Michael Taylor, the creator of Audiobus had some interesting comments:

2 Likes

From that link:

“That is still a worry for many users, as many iOS developers do abandon apps without updates. It’s tough enough to make money on an initial release, tougher still to squeeze any money out of upgrades – and iOS developers are often as small as one-person operations. Sometimes they just go get another job. That may mean for backwards compatibility it even makes sense to hold on to one old iPad and keep it from updating – not only because of this development, but to retain consistent support for a selection of instruments and effects.”

Oof, that hits close to home.

2 Likes

Just FYI, me leaving Audulus didn’t really have much to do with Audulus being successful or not. It is a successful app, and has grown a ton in users and functionality as well as sales since I came on board.

The reason I’m leaving is purely because I have a chance to not only make a lot more money working in real estate, but also I’ll get to work with my wife, an architect, and we have a chance to build a business selling eco-friendly homes, something I’m really passionate about. Audulus was only ever a part time job for me, and I knew that as I started to get more into real estate, my work for Audulus would suffer as a result. Instead of dropping out of Audulus right before or soon after A4 was released, I wanted to do it as soon as possible so @Taylor had time to adjust and possibly hire a replacement.

The only thing I personally had to do with Audulus 4 was beta testing, and we have several other people working on that still anyway - @stschoen and @robertsyrett included.

In short, me departing doesn’t have anything to do with my faith in Audulus as a company. What made it so hard to decide to leave was I knew that leaving meant I would one day regret doing so as I watched Audulus continue to grow on without me.

5 Likes

@Vldslsdrkwlya To answer your question about the status of A4: it’s in internal beta testing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Fwiw, Michael Tyson posted thoughts about Audiobus’ future and made clear that when IAA does disappear (which isn’t likely to happen for a few years) he will find a non-IAA solution to providing the interapp communication that Audiobus does. Audiobus did not originally rely on IAA.

2 Likes

It didn’t help that clickbait social media commentary was claiming “the death of IAA.” I see now that it will be more gradually phased out, and that people will find a workaround if necessary.

To be clear, Audulus 3 is my favorite music app in the iOS world, and by a large margin. If it weren’t for Audulus, I don’t think I would even use my iPad for music making. These days to achieve clock sync I have to send a pulse from Cubasis over IAA. If that becomes impossible, Audulus is an island and I’ll have to (regretfully) kiss it goodbye.

I was waiting eagerly for Audulus 4, which I thought would bring the ideal solution by providing midi out. I was discouraged by recent events, which made me doubt if Audulus 4 will see the light of day. If I overreacted, I’m open to that possibility and it definitely won’t be the first time.

3 Likes

I have just purchased Audulus 3 last weekend and I have just come across this forum, hopefully there would a discount package for Audulus 4 for those who have just recently purchased Audulus 3.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I think there might be a limit to what one can do with the Apple store as far as upgrades. But in the past forum regulars have had lots of opportunities to get download codes.

An upgrade option for recent buyers would be great like an IAP similar to Sugar Bytes products. Thanks for the response Robert I’ve just downloaded your awesome Youtube videos on Audulus to get a hold of it.

1 Like