Audulus 4 development thread šŸ¤“

Hey @taylor! I hope all is well with you! I was just thinking, and I donā€™t know if this is in the road map, but I thought it might be really over the top amazing to have a sample node in A4. Maybe something that would allow you to record sounds that could be triggered by MIDI or (virtual) CV from other nodes, and then be able to shape and sculpt the sounds with the other amazing components of Audulus that already exist.

I am not sure if this is something that would be easy to implement, if it is not in the roadmap, but I did want to put the suggestion out there, as I think a lot of users would really like this capability to be a possibility in their modules. Anyway, whatever you decide, I am sure it will be awesome, and I know I will be for sure making the purchase the first day it is available! :smiley:

1 Like

Update: weā€™re designing a new collection of core modules. Things are looking great!

9 Likes

I fully agree. In the meantime I highly recommend using the delay module with the loop time sync module from the reface library. I just started to work with that and I think if you have a nice time synced patch and you want to grab loops and alter them there is a bunch of fun to be had there.

Itā€™s kind of a different way to work, which can just lead to more ideas and approaches. Once you close the patch, obviously you loose the loop. But as long as you are working live, you can just record your patch and work from there.

I would almost call it subtractive sampling because you could capture some loops with the delay synced module, but then apply envelopes to the volume on a mixer (instead of triggering a sample). Personally, I think these kinds of workarounds can be productive because my mind gets into a problem solving mode. With that mixer with the mutes and the master clocks with time divisions at hand, you could probably get interesting results by subtractively introducing sections of a sample.

To put it another way, there is an sense in which this is an approach to sampling:

3 Likes

@futureaztec would you mind providing an example of what you are talking about? I have 7 delay nodes stacked, and the loop sync module there, but I donā€™t really know what to do from here. Where does the time outbound signal go? It appears as though the input to the module is supposed to be a clock signal, but I am not sure. My brain is not seeing how this makes a sampler yetā€¦

Hey. I am travelling on planes today so I just wanted to add something quick. Then probably by tomorrow Iā€™ll add some more here.

So here is a useful patch. Plug something in and start looping. I was able to get a track out of just this patch, one take, no Ableton or anything. I believe there is a door here to multiple worlds. I suppose that the important part is that you have a delay hooked up to a measure in bars. Technically, you can basically sample any amount at any time. So it is just a matter of setting things up. In other words, you could have delays on different time signatures or whatever.

I kind of feel like Chase Bliss is cool, but Audulus might have more to offer. We just havenā€™t worked on this yet, really. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

• I want to add something. I have been kind of mulling over this idea. I work at the level of simulation here in Audulus. I donā€™t really work with delay nodes. I think there is a lift people get out of doing things themselves. Like, achieving some simple kind of synthesis, but doing it from scratch. That is not my thing. I am more interested in pushing things. That is, I want to know how good it can get without DAWs ā€“ but on a massive dancefloor with a bunch of skeptical people who have already heard everything and donā€™t care how you make it, just whether or not its good.

I think we have the tools to do this, itā€™s just that either no one is working in that way or people just arenā€™t sharing. Which is fine, but I am going to keep on pushing.

3 Likes

Sorry for the delay :wink:

Here is a connected thread:

I will be working on this stuff for a long time. IMO it is a key to another world.

You said,

Did you get that sorted? Using the reface library looper sync?
Screen Shot 2019-12-31 at 12.03.56 PM

This, with other tools leads to things like the Chase Bliss Mood pedal.

1 Like

Hey thanks for not forgetting about me! How was your trip? I hope you had an enjoyable time without any significant hang ups along the way. I took a look at the module from ReFace Lib you mentioned, but I havenā€™t quite figured out how to use it to make a long delay buffer and make it repeat the way a looper will.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what is possible, or maybe I am just going about it all wrong. If you have time, could you make a quick demo of what you are talking about and include just a few notes that explain how it works that way?

Just to be clear, I think that the High Noon patch should give you the right idea.

I think that one approach to appreciating the ā€œDelay Looper Sync,ā€ is to use it as a standard guitar looper. Then start to inject features by using other modules once you understand this basic technique.

At base, you want to be able to record so may bars, then have that recording diminish over so many more bars. This is possible just by having the loop the right length, and having it synced to the clock. The ā€œfeedbackā€ parameter will control how it diminishes.

The nice thing about @biminiroadā€™s implementations is that he broke down the elements, but also provided several alternative delay modules. I feel like this is a very crucial way to build a library. There needs to be a standardized way to sync, etc. Then it allows for a more modular approach. So you can not only use a ā€œDelay Looper Syncā€ to control the delays, but also use the ā€œdelay tempo syncā€ to give musical divisions to more immediate delay applications.

When you pair this with the master clock designs, you get that nice speed you want when producing. At the same time, we are not working in a daw with plugins.

This is actually really exciting. Think about mastering. It is possible to go from ingredients to package right in Audulus, because you can use synthesis techniques to do the mix engineering (applying a wavefolder instead of EQing and then amplifying/compressing drums, would be one example).

If you ware still unsure, just ask a more direct question. Also, I see two fun directions:

1. Keep moving toward Chase Bliss guitar pedal patches.
  2. Head towards some of the ā€œsamplingā€ workaround patching we were talking about.

I will be doing both.

1 Like

I would be really interested in some snippets of how the new UI looks. :grin:

1 Like

Is there a timeline for the release of version 4 yet, or at least an approximate month for release?

Itā€™s great to hear that things are going well from time to time, but I canā€™t help but get impatient and not know when to expect the update!

Thanks for your interest in Audulus 4. Iā€™m not going to offer any further estimates because I donā€™t like to put pressure on myself. One of the reasons I do this job is so I donā€™t have to deal with the stress of deadlines.

10 Likes

Totally understoodā€¦but you canā€™t blame me for being impatient when youā€™ve got us all so hyped up about version 4ā€¦ :grin:

2 Likes

AUM has the support for multioutput AU plugins now, so I guess that makes it ready for Audulus 4)

UPD: Iā€™m ready, too)

5 Likes

Update!

We are now working on the MacOS Audio Unit, iOS Module Browser, and iOS Inspector :slight_smile:

Contemplating a public beta for the iOS version so we really can iron out the bugs before release.

9 Likes

Iā€™m game! Although Iā€™m probably not advanced enough user.

1 Like

I am up for A4 iOS beta

1 Like

Hi @stevo3985. I still have not forgotten about my possibly impossible hunch about hacking the delays for use in ā€œsampling.ā€ I found this post this morning and I thought you might find it interesting.

1 Like

I checked that out the other day when you sent it to me. Sorry I didnā€™t have time to reply. Itā€™s been a busy few days. I downloaded the module and the demo, and I look forward to having some time to explore later this week! Thanks for getting back to me and keeping my questions in mind :smiley:

1 Like

I would be happy to participate in the iOs version. I have an iPhone XS and an earlier version of the iPad Pro.

Iā€˜d also like to participate in the iOs beta.
I use Audulus on an iPhone 6 and an iPad pro (2nd gen).