After All, Isn't it About the Music?

2 Likes

Would love to figure out what synth/effect combination is responsible for those squelchy resonant metallic sweeps.

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

From one of the most important contributions to electronic music in the last decade…

1 Like

In case you needed some mellow arpeggios

1 Like

…Because I got my taste in music from skatevideos. And because Nike made good here, the bastards.

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

2 Likes

Nice chord progression. Refreshingly sparse. :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

deadmau5’ turn toward deep techno is reminiscent of when Skream rotated from dubstep to tech/house. There is a case to be made why this track is so well produced…and stadium suitable.

1 Like

Goldmine: https://soundcloud.com/italo-disco-forever-mor

1 Like

Kind of a weird question, but how much stock do you put in the less well known sub genres of techno like Tech House or Italo Disco? I can’t tell what they mean or if they mean anything at all.

1 Like

I personally think it is a mistake to ignore genres – except in cases where it is justified or blah blah blah…

Yes, make freeform techno. However, don’t expect to show up to an event and get anything right. I mean you might. But probably the people that are more freeform are well aware of the genres.

There is a lot I cannot comment on. I don’t know much about Italo Disco, but I do know that some cultures have spent too much time staring at their own self-image, reflected in the way other cultures copy them – cough America cough. Legowelt is heavily influenced by Italo Disco. But then there is also Dark Disco which is super important.

I think the thing to do is give freeform art, film, whatever its due. Then that’s done and we get back to knowing our place in history. To create a legitimate example of a contribution to, say, math you would have to understand what comes next – in everything that entails. I work in house music because it is simple. This gives me the space to explore all of the elements that go into a track without worrying about the structures too much. But also asking; can I stretch these themes across an entire album. Do I have the attention span to cobble together 7 tracks that fit together to make an album? So I can learn to pan my drums, get the kick to sit with the bassline, learn to create tension, modulate reverb and delay, create pad transitions…

But also thinking about how I would move my body on the dance floor. Are there enough different rhythms for different parts of my body. Can I get some vocals in there so my emotions can get washed, etc., etc.

I have been working on broken/electro themes a bit. But I think I fall a little short there. I have much more work to do. I made a specific electro track. It took 40 takes to master it. Then I spent months collecting electro tracks so I could debut my own track in a mix of what I like from the past and what is fresh. When I did the mix it fell flat toward the end, so I didn’t release it. Then I couldn’t get back to it quick enough and that opportunity went by the boards. So there is a ton of work involved and I think it takes discipline not to put something out incorrectly.

Now I am am just doing a Lab Files series that is fairly freeform but with clear goals.

1 Like

this one…

1 Like