Adding an ADSR envelope to a sequencer?

In the below file, I’ve put together a sequencer wherein each sequenced note is randomized. However, I’m trying to add an envelope to it, and can’t seem to figure this out for the life of me. Anyone have any ideas? I feel like the answer is super easy and I just haven’t seen it.

S&H 16-Step Sequencer.audulus (28.0 KB)

As always, thanks for your support!

1 Like

Here you go!

So this setup makes the sequencer a little more controllable. The sequencer as you have it set up spits out values between 0 and 1. We call those modulation values - you can convert them to octave values - the linearized pitch scale - with a modulation to octave translator. This allows you to adjust the range of notes and where the lowest possible note starts. Then I just sent it through an oscillator module and on through a filter and VCA which have individual envelopes attached to them. Check it out and explore the insides of the modules to see how they work and let me know if you have any follow up questions!

S&H 16-Step Sequencer Fixed.audulus (168.2 KB)

1 Like

Much appreciated! But it’s not quite what I’m trying to do. Basically, I’m just looking to have this sequencer spit out random notes in the sequence, but to also randomize the envelope as well.

Basically, I’m just trying to have the randomized ASDR I linked below to fit in with the sequencer—just trying to keep it simple, if that makes any sense. I’m not really sure if this is totally possible, but I thought I’d try.

S&H 16-Step Sequencer.audulus (30.5 KB)

1 Like

I see! Here’s a version that does the same thing using built in modules with the library. They are gateable sample and holds with modulation attenuate-offsets so you can adjust the optimal range you want each parameter to be randomized in.

S&H 16-Step Sequencer Fixed Again.audulus (187.0 KB)

1 Like

Perfect! Thank you! Super helpful!

While I’m here, here’s a question for you: what’s your go-to way of programming chords? Aside from, you know, just playing them with the MIDI node. I’ve sort of done something with the file below where I’m just tying two half-steps together to create dissonance, but I’m wondering if there’s an easier way.

dissonant drone.audulus (21.9 KB)

1 Like

There are some ideas here on how to add what you want to your drone box. I didn’t know exactly how you wanted to implement it, so I just showed you how to make chords effectively in Audulus using MonoToQuad, QuadToMono, and PolyToMono nodes.

dissonant drone added ideas.audulus (311.4 KB)

1 Like

Oh, cool—thank you!

1 Like