1-Toast (after the 0-Coast)

@espiegel123 Thanks for covering this one!

@Momotaro Thanks for checking out 1-Toast :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@espiegel123 if youā€™re real interested in messing with tangible west coast, but not yet ready to invest $500 to buy the real 0-Coast, check out the Korg Volca Modular! I got it when it first came out, along with the Minilogue XD, and (even though the XD is bigger and way more capable) the Volca Modular is easily my favorite thing I own, and there is so much fun and interesting ways to use it in your projects! I am also learning a lot about synthesis from it. If you like this patch, and the west coast approach, the VM is a great start for $200 (even less if you catch one of the people that just donā€™t understand how it works and what it is capable of, who seem to be selling it barely used at ~$140-150). Happy patching! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the message. So far, the demos of the Volca Modular that I have heard havenā€™t impressed me. I havenā€™t heard one in person, but what I heard hasnā€™t blown me away the way 0-Toast recordings that I have heard do.

Are you finding the sound quality impressive ?

1 Like

@espiegel123 - Sorry about my delay. I have been ultra busy with work and some other projects I am working on, so I havenā€™t had a chance to get on here for more than like 5 mins since you messaged me.

Anyway, personally, I absolutely think it is awesome; the capabilities and sounds coming out of this little box are superb and a whole lot of fun for sonic experimentation (the best thing is that I think it has an internally protected circuit to protect dumb noobs like me from myself lol - Korg mentions in the manual that thereā€™s really no wrong way to connect it, and so sources can mistakenly be plugged into sources while learning, (I personally did this when I first got it) and it comes out no worse when you realize your mistake), so for what it is and the price point really canā€™t be beat as far as hardware, IMO.

I mean, the built in speaker is a bit crunchy, but it is good enough to give you a good idea of what you are building. When I have a cool patch I wanna sample for a project, I plug mine into my PreSonus Eris 3.5 monitors, and that makes it sound great. If you have monitors or an aux input on a better set of speakers or something like that (MacBook mic input perhaps?) you will get much better sound out of it. I am working on putting a short but demonstrative approach to what it can do. I will share it when I finish it. :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll be interested to hear what you come up with.

I guess for me what Iā€™ve heard so far sounds good but doesnā€™t sound better to my ear than what my soft synths can generate ā€” as opposed to the 0-Coast demos Iā€™ve heard.

Volca modular may sound a lot better than the demos that have been posted, of course. So, my mind is open. FWIW, I am interested in great sound ā€” hardware that sounds good but not great isnā€™t compelling to me.

1 Like

@espiegel123 I have the video file shared from my dropbox at the following link:

Edit: click here for video, file doesnā€™t play in forum player for some reason

I hear what youā€™re saying about the software doing all that you want it to do; a lot of my software does that too, but I felt like the value of not having to spend a bunch of time mapping controls to my MIDI controller or mess with a [computer] keyboard and mouse was worth a few dollars. I am someone who gets easily distracted and wander off from what I intended to do, if I am not staying fully engaged in my process. Now that I have a few pieces of actual gear (this one being my absolute favorite), I understand why some people prefer hardware only. I still love the best of both worlds, but I can see the other side of things now.

Also it took me a few days to make something I felt worthwhile, as each time I thought I had my best example to show you, I would think of another awesome thing I wanted to try, and it set me back some more time of being wonderfully lost in sonic experimentation and exploring the endless possibilities I could create. I seriously love this thing. I figured it would be best to just let you hear from the actual speaker on the VM, and let you decide if itā€™s something you would be interested in. Either way, I hope you will find this to be an interesting demo. I sure had fun making it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to share that. It looks like fun.

1 Like

I thought you might also be interested to know this, as it can be applied to not only the Volca Modular or the 0-Coast, but seemingly all physical modular hardware, if I am properly understanding, which was an exciting breakthrough for me when I discovered the details discussed in this thread :smile:

https://discourse.audulus.com/t/volca-modular-cv-w-audulus/1841/15?u=stevo3985