1-Toast (after the 0-Coast)

1-toast
0-coast
fun-pack
west-coast

04%20PM

1-Toast

This is a single oscillator synth voice modeled after the 0-Coast from Makenoise. Unlike the 0-Coast, there is no normaling in Audulus so the basic patch in preconfigured in the download pack, or you can use the above image as a reference.

From left to right there is a clock with variable duty cycle and a random modulation generator which can be used to create stepped random modulations. There is an oscillator section with three outputs, triangle, square, and overtones. The oscillator also has a playable pitch knob (default tuning is knob setting .4414), ‘AC coupled’ linear FM, and a wave shaping/folding section modeled closely after the 0-Coast. The slope section is either an attack decay envelope or a variable slope LFO which is often used to modulate the multiply section of the overtones. The Contour section is a simplified ADSR with linear to exponential shaping. The last section is a two channel mixer, which is typically used to balance the triangle wave with the overtone wave, which runs into the dynamics section which is both a volume knob and a low pass gate, which usually receives modulation from the contour section.

I/O

Input Signal Range Notes
57%20PM57x58 1/oct main pitch control
27%20PM40x41 0, 1 main gate input
17%20PM48x52 0, 1 trigger input on random modulation generator and slope section
48%20PM35x39 0, 1 unipolar modulation input for dynamics and slope sections
52%20PM51x50 -1, 1 audio input for linear FM

Output Signal Range Notes
45%20PM59x72 -1, 1 audio out
25%20PM42x42 0, 1 clock out
08%20PM45x41 0, 1 random modulation out and gate outputs for ‘end of cycle’ and ‘end of onset’
32%20PM48x44 0,1 modulation or envelope out

Controls

Knob Function Notes
57%20PM81x74 clock rate
38%20PM100x84 duty cycle
13%20PM84x73 pitch default tuning is knob setting .4414
23%20PM79x80 overtone shapes the triangle wave in various ways that affect timbre
39%20PM84x70 multiply more or less a wave folder
52%20PM80x72 multiply modulation attenuverter incoming signals are scales positively or negatively and summed with the multiply knob position.
42%20PM83x73 rise of slope
31%20PM85x71 fall of slope
58%20PM82x76 curve of slope adjusting the curve also adjusts the overall rate of the slope
17%20PM87x79 attack of contour contour refers to an ADSR envelope with the nomenclature of Bob Moog
22%20PM96x87 sustain level of contour
09%20PM87x83 decay and release of contour
21%20PM77x78 curve of contour
13%20PM78x75 [crossfade of mixer inputs
00%20PM102x84 index of dynamics section modulation

Button Function Notes
24%20PM77x75 cycle toggle changed the slope section from an A-D envelope to an LFO

Version History

Revision File Date Notes
1 0-Toast.audulus (190.8 KB) 5/5/2018 Inspired by the Makenoise 0-Coast

Demos

Revision File Date Notes

1 | 1-Toast Demo 5-5.audulus (860.8 KB) |5/5/2018 |

Rasmus West Coast Synthesizer

When I uploaded this to the forum, I made a ‘fun pack’ with the 1-Toast as well as chopped up versions of the sections that could be used as modules as well as a no-svg version of the default patch. I thought I would include it here… but I am through with taking screen caps of controls :stuck_out_tongue:

1-Toast Fun Pack.audulus (458.0 KB)

Tutorial Requests

A blast from the past! (Well the recent past anyway :cowboy_hat_face:) A definite classic in the making. This Audulus re-creation has much of what made the original so appealing. A non-traditional approach to sound generation, a useful collection of generators and modulators, and an appealing UI. What’s not to love! One of your better efforts (although not the only one by any means).

Thanks sooooo much :star_struck:

My favorite Audulus synth voice! :musical_keyboard:

Thanks for creating this. After bazilion years working with East-coast style subtractive synths, this and Bimini Road’s livestream showing off Rasmus have me very interested in West Coast style synths. While I really enjoy 1-Toast, I recall seeing a comment by you somewhere that you have some thoughts about how it might be programmed differently to be closer to the 0-Coast in sound.

I hope you’ll think about releasing a patch that implements those techniques.

I think the major improvements will come when I can normalize the signal flow inside the 1-Toast, which I think will have to wait for Audulus 4. But thanks for the kind words :sunny:

I look forward to it!

Will those changes give 1-Toast more of the ‘in the face’ waveshaping that the 0-Toast has?

I have a question about the ‘compat’ 1-Toast Default’ module in the fun pack – the one on the bottom right. Does the slope have any impact when it isn’t cycling?

I am a total newb and it is taking me a while to get a hang of analyzing patches.

Thanks so much for your great creations.

A little bit. The 0-Toast mixes the slope signal in with the oscillator past 2 O’Clock on the timbre knob. Also, in A4 I can use samples of the 0-Coast waveforms rather than approximations, which should enhance verisimilitude. The same goes for the non-linear response of the wavefolder.

That said, I did try to emulate the 0-Coast I have in my possession as best I could. Of course, as time goes on and my understanding continues to improve hopefully so too will my modules :slight_smile:

No, because that’s the default for the 0-Coast.

Thanks for taking the time to play with them :smiley:

Thanks for the clarifications. I need to study the 0-Coast manual and some of the posted patches to understand it better. I am new to the West Coast/O-Coast paradigm and appreciating the sounds that the architecture unleashes.

I’d love to hear some of the music people are making with these modules.

Audulus makes appearances at some level in most of the songs on this album.

It’s a great album! :cowboy_hat_face: