How to Think in Audulus - The Control Signal Looper
  • CSlooper8.audulus
  • This is a nice module for adding automation type functionality to patches.
  • @Paulinko - glad you like it! :)
  • Hi! I have been walking through your tutorials in Audulus....and I realized I have a question (one of many to come!). I am looking at the section explaining muxes and demuxes and one part I don't quite follow : I get that they require a value - 0 thru 7 in example - and that floor eliminates the fractional potion of a value....but what I don't get is how it calculates an appropriate value from the the timer. If the timer value switches to "783" how does that translate to 0 thru 7? Is there a divisor inside the mux? Or maybe value does not matter? Is it just that the mux advances on any new value?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Forgive me...I just realized I probably put that last comment/question in the wrong topic....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • @DoubleStop - what do you mean "the timer"? There are no values that reach 783 in this module.

Do you mean the LFO? The LFO is 0-1 and it gets translated internally to 0-7.9999, which is then floored to make 8 equal steps of 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7.

Hopefully that clarifies it - if not, can you elaborate on what you mean by the timer?
  • @DoubleStop The mux and demux nodes: contain a built-in mod(X,8).
  • Oh. So when I see your second tutorial (in Audulus). You have the section that illustrates the mux and de-mux. (I'm not an electronics guy...). You have a timer that feeds the floor node that feeds the "sel" input. If I connect a value display to the output of the floor I see its just an increasing counter with every tick of the clock. I guess I was confused on whether that advancing number has any significance to the mux. That's one thing that is a little lacking. The description of the nodes are just single sentences. Unlike the modules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • I'm just trying to understand how the mux works. Besides the confusion above (and I see the "sel" value has little significance except =>1 or whether it's negative or positive). The other input "in" doesn't make sense. The only thing I can see is that if it's value is >= 1 the mux works. Otherwise it does not. Is that all it is? Just an on/off switch?

• Forgive me I just realized I confused this whole topic by referring to Mixes....when I really was referring to the de-mux section of the tutorial.

• Damn auto correct!

• @DoubleStop - I see why I was confused - you said tutorial and I figured you were talking about the tutorial at the top of the page that explains how the CSLooper works! Here's the breakdown of what you're asking:

When the select input of the Mux/Demux hits 8, it wraps around from Input/Output 7 to Input/Output 1. It also works in the negative direction as well. Try attaching audio to it for some crazy effects! It works this way because otherwise values outside of 0 and 7.9999...etc would do nothing to the node.

A Mux routes one of 8 inputs to a single output.

A Demux routes one input to one of 8 outputs.

The 1 that you see directed towards the lights turns the light node on. Any non-zero value will turn the light on, I just entered 1 because it's simple.

Hope that makes sense! Let me know if you need more explanation.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!