Techno track...
  • My first proper attempt at laying out a sequenced song with Audulus and the result is this little techno number. In glorious mono for your listening and deconstruction pleasure :)

    Also been my first serious sit down with V3 and have to take hats off to Team Audulus for this amazing software, it's a joy to use.

    edit: Biminiroad made a video of this patch, check it out:

    Screenshot 2016-02-03 21.50.19.png
    1590 x 1025 - 558K
  • NICELY DONE! The melody is quite catchy!

    Interesting how you've created a sequencer using polyphony.

    (and thanks for the kind words!)
  • I was just thinkin "Man, where's Afta8 been at?" Seems as though you went to the mountain top! Thanks for bringing this down for our edification! Incredible.
  • @afta8 Welcome back.
    Beautiful. Musically and design-wise.
    Care to write up a brief walk-through?
  • Thanks for the comments guys, a mixture of xmas, travelling in asia and work has kept me from the shores of Auduland.. Good to be back though :)

    @JDRaoul, I've certainly been inspired by much of your work in creating this, I suppose this is more of a top down deterministic approach compared to generative sequencing.. I'll tackle that next but its is more of a mind bender. Anyway happy to explain the patch...

    On the left you have a phasor which clocks everything, this feeds a number of pulse generators that eventually feed envelope triggers for each of the sounds.

    The audio is generated in the middle and from top to bottom you have kick, snare, hats, bass, lead and pads. 6 layers that feed into the mixer on the right.

    The kick is simply a sine wave with a pitch envelope mixed with a delay acting as a comb filter to give it some body, finally a low cut filter for mixing purposes. Snare and hihats are just noise with envelopes and a bitcrusher on the snare. Overall, the percussion section is a simple repeating pattern and triggered with clock pulses.

    The bass is triggered again by clock pulses but the speed is modulated by an envelope to give the note sub divisions. The bass is just on one note so there is no melodic sequencing going on here. The signal generated by the oscillators passes through a morphing waveshaper and then a low pass filter, both of these are modulated by the envelope.

    The lead uses mux nodes to step through different pulse speeds which trigger the envelopes and set the melody notes. The sound is simply a square with some distortion, filter and flanger.

    The pad takes notes from the lead melody and turns these into chords that are triggered by the hihat pulse. The sound is a generated by a custom osc that uses the spline node to draw the waveform.

    The sound generators are in an endless loop and song sequencing is done at the mixer stage, by sequencing channel mutes. This is achieved by using the seq16 node which takes channel mute setting and steps through them, similar to pattern sequencing in a tracker.

    The sub patches with the buttons are the scene settings for the mutes. Polyphony is used here to transmit 8 button settings down a single cable that can then be unpacked at the mixer stage, this then makes it easy to use the seq16 to cycle through mute settings.

    The mixer has 8 audio inputs and a mute input for each channel. It also has 2 send/returns for FX, internally it uses polyphony to keep things tidy and reduce cpu. Finally there is a HP filtered distortion acting as an exciter and a reverb over the whole mix.
  • I particularly like the muting system. I've struggled with that part of my designs.
  • @afta8, I see you used a way of getting 8-channels across one wire for sequencing the mutes. This underscores our need for n-channel polyphony nodes :)
  • @JDRaoul, this seems to be the most CPU efficient way to send 8 mute states that I have discovered so far.. I also tried your approach with converting to 8bits and also @Biminiroad interlacing idea but this was better on the CPU.. anyway happy to see ways it can be done better.

    @Taylor, yes that definitely would be useful, when you have a lot of repeating circuits I find using the poly nodes reduces CPU usage and also makes things clearer to understand. I used the poly nodes in the mixer sub patch and again it helped reduce a tangle of wires into something more easily understood.
  • Beautiful track, really really nice. I've just bought Audulus3 yesterday, and I hope I'll manage to understand what you did and learn from you. Thank you very much @afta8.
  • @phonk, Thanks and welcome to the world of Audulus, I learnt it all via this forum so you are certainly in good company here :)
  • Indeed, I have to agree that the community is really wonderful here.
  • truly fantastic @afta8! Ill be digesting this one for a while!
  • @taylor I think you should add a set of eight channel polyphony nodes, especially since there's already 8 voice possibilities in the keyboard
  • @afta8 WOW respect :)