2 Minute Tips - Daily Video Tutorial Series
  • I noticed people were only watching about 2 minutes of my videos, so I figured why not just make them all 2 minutes long? Here are the first six of them - Subscribe to my channel for daily updates.

Don't worry, for you hardcore Audulus users who want to go deeper than this, I will be releasing longer videos and other supplemental educational material.

• @biminiroad - Dude, do you ever sleep?
  • @JDRaoul - I do, but when I do, I dream of Audulus (no joke - had an insight into AB switches that you'll see in an upcoming video from a dream)
  • Holy cow. I didn't realize how low-level Audulus is. Not sure if I should be stoked or terrified. lol I didn't expect to be building my own subtractive synthesizer . . . get ready for a LOT of questions, biminiroad . . .
  • @Annalea - the people on here are pretty great about answering questions. Everyone is super nice. Don't be afraid to ask!
  • @drewyeah - couldn't agree more!

Sorry for the lapse in these, I'm finishing up the library overhaul and once I'm done with that, these will resume on a normal daily basis.
  • Bimini, thanks so much. This is awesome. At first glance I got intimidated by all the formulas (since I'm a potato when it comes to math) but seeing all these tutorials is giving me a lot of hope!
  • These are great, but I need to watch them for Macbook version because for example, I can't find the Sine LFO on the Macbook version... Thanks for the tutorials.
  • @jaisaqui - the sine LFO is combined with the other shapes in the "basic lfo" - it's the bottom output.

Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 9.45.02 PM.png
    911 x 666 - 74K
    Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 9.45.29 PM.png
    640 x 251 - 26K
  • Thanks for the response... I tried that one, but it doesn't look like the one on the example "How to make vibrato" and doesn't make any difference on the signal following the instructions on the video. What I want is the same thing you made in the "How to make vibrato" video. What am I missing?
    Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 8.40.19 AM.png
    1440 x 900 - 78K
  • Another thing... If I open a file and make any change and close it without saving it, when I open the same file again the changes are still there. How's that possible if I didn't save the file?
  • This is how I got the vibrato... I'm sure there's a few unnecessary steps, but it worked for me. But I just read your response about what's wrong with this approaching, although I don't understand the term 'linearized pitch scale'.
    Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 9.08.52 AM.png
    1440 x 900 - 107K
  • This is what I'm talking about in your video...
    Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 9.12.39 AM.png
    1440 x 900 - 382K
  • Pitch is exponential - each octave is twice the frequency of the last octave. The distance between 220 and 440 is 220Hz. But the difference between 440 and 880 is 440Hz. With each octave the number of Hz between each grows. A linear pitch scale has the same distance between each octave.

Don't pay attention to the video - that's a quick 'n' dirty way to make vibrato, but like I mentioned before, the effect will be less pronounced in the upper octaves and really wild and out of control in the lower octaves.

Take a look at the vibrato example patch that I sent you on the other thread and let me know where that's not making sense - I added little explanations at each point that tell you exactly what's going on :)

If you're on a computer, you can "revert to last save." This feature is currently missing on iOS, but will be added at some point.

What I was trying to say is that there is no separate Sine LFO like in the example, but the LFO I pointed out is multishape. You don't need the old sine LFO.

Your example that you posed that "doesn't make a difference" is only wiggling the pitch by 1 Hz. The LFO's maximum output is 1, and if you're adding that to 220Hz, it's oscillating between 220 and 221 Hz.

Just check out that patch I uploaded on the other thread - that shows you exactly how to make an accurate vibrato :)
  • Yeah... I knew about the pitch being exponential, but I had not made the connection when you mentioned the linear pitch scale because there's actually no linear pitch scales in conventional music. Thanks. I'll be playing with this for a couple of days. :)
  • @jaisaqui - yeah that's what I meant by linear-ized - made linear by the math that's in there :)

Glad you're up to speed now, please let me know if you have any more questions! Don't hesitate to ask, no question too small :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!