Audulus 3.0 - The Library of Babel Synth Module Collection (Beta)
  • I am building a library of basic synth modules that will bring a more familiar rack-mount modular look to Audulus for those who may be at first a little overwhelmed by building patches from nodes alone.

Some of these are just a node + a standardized package (like the keyboard module). The ones that have my name on them go beyond the simple function of the node itself, like the Bimini Road Dual Dark Delay which has LPF on each delay line, stereo mix outs, and separate outs for delays only to process them independently of the original signal. There are also some others, like the Rotating Clock Divider, that are clones or workalikes of existing analog modules (in this case, the 4MS RCD).

The nodes are small and the UI for each panel is condensed to allow more modules to fit in a single window view while still being easily controllable.

Over time, I will add more and more modules to this collection. If you have a module that you would like have included in this collection (after 3.0 is officially released), try to get it close to the standard "look" of these modules and send it my way via comment below, PM, or biminiroadelectronics@gmail.com. I will tweak the look and layout if I think it needs it, but the functionality will remain unchanged, and you will of course retain credit (i.e. JDRaoul - Amazing Creation Module).

If you have any suggestions for modules, please leave them in a comment below.

All future updates of this library will be indicated in this thread in this top post - if the library is updated, I will leave a comment to push it up in the forum, change the version number in the title, and the newest version will always be available in this top post.

My custom modules will always come with commentary that illuminate my thought process for and execution of each patch. If you'd like your module to be considered for this collection, I'd encourage you to do the same, but I won't make it a requirement.

This isn't *the* standard, it is merely *a* standard. These patches will all be very neatly laid out on the inside so the signal flow is easy to study.

Attached is a screen shot of the growing list of modules. Check back often for more updates.

List of Patch Standards & Practices for inclusion in the Library:

So that all these patches "play nicely" with one another, they need to be standardized. Here is an ongoing list of standards I'm using.

UI Standards:
    - All modules must be the same height, unless the functionality of the module requires it to be larger.
    - The inputs and outputs define the width of the module (i.e., they are the furthest elements to the left and right).
    - If it's a small module, the label goes in the center. For larger ones, the label goes in the far left corner).
    - Custom patches are labelled as "[Creator] :: [Patch Name]" The patch name should include its function.
    - Inputs and outputs are labeled "In" and "Out" unless they need to be something else for clarity.
    - Inputs and outputs that require or produce a polyphonic signal should be labelled "In/P" and "Out/P"

Signal Standards:
    - LFOs should output between 0 and 1 (DC). Making an AC signal is easy: just subtract .5. LFO inputs should also be between 0 and 1 (if you need AC signal input for your design [as you'd need for a vibrato], do this on the inside of the patch).
    - Modules should adhere to the 1/oct standard. 0 = reference note (440hz, for example). -1 is one octave below 440, 1 is one octave above.

Version History:
    10/19/15 - Beta Preview
    Screen Shot 2015-10-19 at 1.33.59 PM.png
    761 x 799 - 231K
    Screen Shot 2015-10-19 at 9.19.40 PM.png
    1920 x 1080 - 303K
    Screen Shot 2015-10-23 at 7.09.59 PM.png
    1920 x 1080 - 478K
  • great work, many thanks. Somehow similar to Reaktor 6 Blocks.

Looking forward for v.3.
  • @Phil999 - thanks! Have any suggestions, or know of any modules you like from Reaktor or even the analog world that you want me to clone? Just added a Tap Tempo module.
  • oh, there are many things I can think of, which work 'in flesh' in my Eurorack modular system. And there are the famous Buchla and Serge systems from the 60'/70's which are still unmatched in sound and versatility. When Audulus 3 is released I guess it will again take a lot of time until some advanced Audulus modules are built. Complex oscillators, low pass gates, complex filters, control modules with probability/uncertainty/S&H, CV mixers, etc. Some of these advanced modules and possibilities are already there, but many are not. Neither in Reaktor 6, I might add, although its user library is growing every day.

This is not an easy task. You covered already some basic modules, that is a good start, and I'm grateful for your work. I enjoy what is possible in Audulus, and look forward for what will be possible in future. I hope I can also contribute something with builds, or at least with some ideas.

One important thing is usability and immediate control. I hope this will be better in v.3, because so far I found it difficult to interact with Audulus projects. Either the control was too small, or too far away, or not labelled, etc. So I mostly used other software, be it on iPad or computer.

But my view is not important here. It was just that you asked for suggestions, and as you can see there are a lot.
  • @Phil99 - thank you! While the filters are a toughie, I think you might be overestimating how difficult some things are to accomplish in Audulus.

I already have plans for a probability module that will come with 3.0. (I don't think it's that hard to make, probably involves the random node + logic functions or something, haven't thought about it too much yet).

What exactly do you think is impossible to recreate in Audulus? Like, can you give me some examples of things to clone? I can usually either just intuit a work-alike way or I can look up the block diagram/schematic online and decipher what's going on and recreate it in Audulus.
  • Also, note that we already have CV mixers - just use the 4x1 mixer. To adjust the level of signal going in, just put a level node before each input. You could also use Add nodes as well.
  • @Phil999, for 3.0 I've improved the visual feedback in the iOS version so it's easy to tell when you are zoomed in enough to make connections, turn knobs, etc. And everything is labeled :)
  • thank you, good to hear.

@biminiroad
    I don't think there is anything impossible to do in Audulus. I just think some things won't be easy. A random generator is relatively easy, but there are more complicated probability/uncertainty modules in hardware.

If you ask what to clone ... well a complex oscillator would be nice. With carrier and modulator VCO cores, wavefolding, FM, etc. Complex oscillators built by Buchla, MakeNoise, Endorphin.es, etc. create many interesting timbres.

Where to find schematics I don't know I'm afraid. And I think with the work you've already done there are enough modules for very complex patches. There's no hurry.
  • @Phill999 - thanks for the suggestions! Will try to incorporate those things. The new VCO node has a shape control that's pretty awesome, too.
  • oh that is good news as well. Shaping waveforms is probably the entry path for a complex oscillator. This hasn't been done yet in Reaktor 6. Although there is a hint at Muffwiggler.com about one, but it's still in development since a couple of weeks.
  • Screenshot featuring the new and very useful greater/lesser than or equal to inequalities.

Screen Shot 2015-10-20 at 5.10.26 PM.png
    1920 x 1080 - 156K
  • that looks great.

Tonight I was thinking of something similar. Instead of creating a complex oscillator which will probably take more time, why not do the commonly popular module "Maths" from MakeNoise. Most modular racks have this module in them. Maths can add and substract control voltages. That's all actually. But it is so important in a modular patch. And I believe it is rather easy to do in Audulus. It won't be appealing for advanced Audulus users of course since they know the use of Audulus's math node.

Maths is a four channel CV utility. It has four inputs, two of the outputs have also a trigger out. There is a sum, or, and inv output that collects and mixes all 4 inputs. It is rather simple and at the same time incredibly useful. As I mentioned before, there is almost no rack without it because everybody needs such an utility module.

Much more precise information can be found here:
    http://www.makenoisemusic.com/maths.shtml

Just another suggestion, nothing more.
  • Screen Shot 2015-10-20 at 7.33.20 PM.png
    1920 x 1080 - 286K
  • @biminiroad
    This is a good project. Even though I know almost nothing about hardware modulars, I hope I can contribute.
  • @biminiroad
    don't tell me you've done this emulation in just an hour or two.

Absolutely phantastic! I'm speechless.
  • just waiting for Audulus 3 to be released. And testing this virtual Maths module in the real world. Patching several sources to it, and possibly even sending out MIDI data to MIDI-CV interfaces. It is not long ago since I got my first Maths module, and not long after I realised I would like to have another one. But I can't just add modules to my racks, there's not enough space and money left. That's why I keep using software, especially for controlling tasks.

Something in me tells me Audulus 3 could be, with the great work of geniuses like you, a very powerful software. Well, Audulus was already a powerful software before. But with its enhanced GUI in v.3 it could be similar or even better than Reaktor.

I don't know yet, but so far it looks enormously promising.
  • @Phil999 shhhh don't tell anyone it's empty on the inside, haha. Taylor and I talked about how to do it though, I just wanted to get a few other things done first - in addition to the library of modules, I'm building a toolkit of basic, low-level functions like an on/off switch with an LED already connected. Things that get really useful when you're making huge patches and don't want to do the same things over and over again.

I think what makes it better than Reactor already is that it runs on iOS. My hunch is that if you got Reaktor on iOS it would have the be hamstrung or wouldn't be able to do everything the full version does. The only other thing that can truly make it better is users like us putting our minds together and making beautiful things. I have had SO much help from people on the forum here, I would've put Audulus away and forgotten about it if it weren't for the community here.

@JDRaoul - you already are contributing! I'm combing through your 3.0 designs (holy living mother of god your Greenish Blue patch is a masterpiece) and I'm picking out useful components (especially from your tool box) and repackaging them - credit is given in any patch that you designed it says "Arranged by Bimini Road and Designed by JDRaoul." I didn't put your name on the really low-level stuff like the pan, but I did on the Euclidean Sequencer, like so: (btw, I'm floored you've never played with a hardware modular, especially from the designs you make)
    Screen Shot 2015-10-21 at 6.27.53 PM.png
    1920 x 1080 - 198K
  • alright, empty inside. That's not a surprise actually, because it would have been almost impossible to do it in such a short time. But I think it shouldn't take much more than a day or two for the main functions. Testing and working on graphical details will possibly take longer. Nice GUI anyway, well done!

I agree on what you say about Reaktor. Such a software would probably never run on iOS. That's the advantage of Audulus, and one reason why I think Audulus could be better in some situations. Also on computers as AU and VST or standalone.

And I would probably also have forgotten about Audulus if there wasn't such a good community. To develop patches and modules all alone would be a bit difficult without the help and input from others.
  • This is an interesting kind of arpeggiator - it takes a while to explain, so I'll save it for the release, but I think people are really going to like this. Helps with spontaneous generation of songs and melodies, but guided by the keyboard input.
    Screen Shot 2015-10-21 at 11.15.51 PM.png
    1920 x 1080 - 496K
  • @biminroad
    I'm glad you're digging the new tune. I will say again that the chords are blatantly borrowed. I hope everyone recognizes the source. (No spoilers yet.)
    Building massive iPad patches, computational overhead ultimately constrains scale. For that reason, I try to create tools that are as efficient as possible. I find that single purpose modules are more efficient than ones that offer lots of options.
    Establishing a set of standards is a terrific idea.
    Formerly, I used a global counter as a central clock, modula arithmetic giving rhythms for the different parts. That's how I built all the pieces in Audulus 2. After talking with Taylor, I've changed my system. The clock I use now is just a square wave. I use counters locally to control different instruments.
    If the library of modules grows sufficiently, we might think about a wiki for keeping track.
  • Looks great !
  • The library is growing...

The 4th picture is of the separate "Building Blocks" library
    Screen Shot 2015-10-23 at 10.06.24 AM.png
    364 x 935 - 96K
    Screen Shot 2015-10-23 at 10.06.41 AM.png
    413 x 933 - 114K
    Screen Shot 2015-10-23 at 10.06.56 AM.png
    308 x 420 - 47K
    Screen Shot 2015-10-23 at 10.08.58 AM.png
    697 x 433 - 76K
  • This looks like good project, should be fun deconstructing rack modules into Audulus :)
    Looking forward to when 3.0 drops.
  • The library is growing...hard to believe, but this collection is a flat 1MB. Audulus will probably come with about 100 patches. This picture doesn't include unfinished modules, the building blocks, clones, and test probes.
    Screen Shot 2015-10-23 at 7.09.59 PM.png
    1920 x 1080 - 478K
  • This is awesome.
  • This is amazing! Great work, @biminiroad. I also enjoyed watching the youtube video that got posted on Discchord the other day.
  • Did you ever release these? I feel like you must have by the comments but I don't see it. Amazing resource, someting Audulus needed thank you!
  • @bcdub - it's an ongoing project, but will be released sometime in March. I'm almost done with the initial library - for the time being, you can just download them all here. Soon I'll be uploading a folder where you can download them all at once. http://forum.audulus.com/discussion/880/library-revamp-beta-testing#Item_53
  • So where does one get this interesting maths patch? I'd be down to help realize it if I can. As you know I'm already trying some things like my omnimod in Audulus
  • @Macromachines - I haven't built it yet - I'd actually love some help on it! I've asked a few people who've tried explaining it to me but I still kinda don't understand it hah! Maybe if someone comes up with the principles for each I can put it all together and it can be a collaborative effort :)
  • I think MakeNoise Maths is one of the simplest modules to understand. Four inputs that can be summed, inverted, added, substracted, these are the primary functions. It goes further of course, but that's only the nature of mathematics.
  • @Phil999 Yeah I'm watching this video now - just realized the panel is what makes it look so complicated lol - will work on getting this out :)
  • Just a small point regarding the Make Noise Maths. It's not just a cv mixer with offsets and attenuverters, it's largely based on the Serge Dual Universal Slope Generator which are two voltage controlled slews with control over shape from logarithmic to exponential and gates for end of rise and end of cycle. But the self-patching element greatly expands its functionality. I'm unsure that Audulus can even account for self-patching nodes at the moment, can it?

Edit: Really really incredible work on the Library, biminiroad. Were you the one at knobcon this year? Flux's chat with you basically made me purchase it immediately.
  • @pdgn - thanks! Yes, 'twas I. There's some talk of normalized inputs in this thread: http://forum.audulus.com/discussion/1090/wip-blog-makenoise-0coast#Item_14

Though this is something that Taylor will eventually add as a default ability to the node.

I think you'll really enjoy the next update! So psyched for everyone to try it out. :)
  • I think i got the core of it going. I researched and learned its basically a unique clever comparator/integrator circuit which is very flexible and not too hard to make in audulus. Ill post the stuff i got going. If anyone wants to try and do the layout and additional circuit around the core
  • Also @Taylor and @biminiroad : I think built in normalization would be a very cool option, I don't know of any digital modular that has such a thing, and especially in audulus it would be a perfect fit as a feature since you can realtime patch cables around, so having a whole bunch of inputs with LEDs showing the built in modulation that are easily swapped by plugging in an external source, that is one of the greatest details of some of my favorite eurorack modules. For example the DPO, it has the fantastic built in second oscillator normalled to the mod bus, and so you can make use of the oscillator for LFO or audio rate modulation without patching anything get loads of sound variation, and then plug different CV or audio sources into certain jacks and explore, it keeps the built in source for the others, making all knobs and jacks maximum useful.

If you hadn't seen it @Taylor, we played around with different techniques to make this with expressions, but there are always caveats with that technique. The first one I had tried was to simply detect if the jack was a 0 input and if so use a knob for the source, and that works decently, but if there were an instance where say a square wave were coming in, flipping from 0 to 1, it would keep flipping between the knob value and 1. I believe @biminiroad came up with a technique where you turn the knob down to zero and that is a bit more reliable, but the tradeoff is a bit of intuitive discoverability. I.E. someone may plug in a modulation source to the jack and not know why it isn't doing anything. So ideally it would just be a node or option of the inputs, where it has an optional "normal" signal.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!