A dedicated hardware for Audulus
  • Hello. What do you think to have a piece of hardware, where you can download your Audulus patches? Some kind of floor multieffect. Imagine, you can simply turn On/Off effects with switches and modulate them with expression pedals without need to drag laptop, audio interface, midi controllers etc. Just all in one, totally custom effects, endless possibilities. Good for guitars, basses, vocals or any other instruments. Or imagine an eurorack module (with knobs and CV in/outs) where you can download patches.
    What do you think about it?
  • That's a really neat idea. I wonder if you could prototype it on Raspberry Pi. One of the tricks will be taking advantage of hardware DSP as much as possible, I'm guessing. The Raspberry Pi doesn't have that, and the general purpose CPU wouldn't work.

People have done similar things with PureData, so it definitely seems feasible.
  • I'm really surprised there isn't a MAX module for Eurorack...Tiptop Audio makes a blank DSP module that you can load with user written programs, but I'm not sure the language is compatible with Audulus. There are a couple Arduino-based blank modules as well. I think with OSC we're gonna see a lot of modular innovation. You can always design a new filter or envelope, but there are a million of those and I think a lot of the cool stuff modularrs can do has to do with sequenced switching. Erica Synths makes a really cool touchscreen martix mixer that does as much.
  • Perhaps with the new patch format someone other than myself can write support for external DSP hardware ;-)
  • Thats right - it must have a powerfull CPU. However - a little compromise - a CV controller connected to iPad or iPhone. iPad is enough small and powerfull (of course not as a laptop, but make a good job). CV controller like in good modulars, because you can use CV as an audio in\out or controlling voltages - Could be connected to any fader, buttons or to real modular. Based on this hardware you can build your custom unit as a foot controller, faders or just put iphone into Eurorack module. I understand the biggest problem is to write next version of Audulus in unknown format (Linux or something?)
    However I wonder why is no Audio/Midi controller integrated into one unit?
  • There are some floor multieffects as Line6 POD 500X or Firehawk, TC Electronics G system or Eventide Harmony which can be programmed via laptop or iPad, but all effects are very classical. I dont need a ton of virtual amp, I'm not even looking to recreate sound of famous guitars. I'm looking for my own tweeky effects which I could make in Audulus. And loaded into the unit.
  • What I'm planning on doing at some point is to build an enclosure for my rig, to make it into one integrated, portable unit about the size of a workstation keyboard like the Korg Kronos. There will be two 49 key controllers, a little 25 key, several knob and slider controllers, I/O ports, etc. everything already hooked up. That's right: no set up time! The sound man hands me a left and a right and then I'm ready to rock!
    Anyway, the brain of this thing will be my mac mini. It's small enough to fit inside a keyboard enclosure with some shock absorbing mounts to cradle it. Then, when I get home from a gig, I'll just pop the hood and put my computer back on the desk, until next time.
  • @ceilidhshipley -- I want to see this in action.
  • there is the KMI QuNeo which translates CV input into MIDI or OSC. Also, the CME X-Key 37 is capable of translating CV to MIDI through the expression input. And the Doepfer Drehbank (no more available) can do this since the 90's.

I've been interfacing/connecting modular systems with MIDI/computers since some time. With QuNexus (or a MIDI-CV interface from Kenton, Doepfer, MFB, etc.) one can translate MIDI to CV as well.
  • KMI is the shit
  • I quite much have to agree. I've waited for about one year to finally get the QuNeo. In the waiting I thought this is the 'shit'. And now I can say, it is. Rather unique controller, and indeed robust. I took it on adventurous sessions in the woods, in the tipi, and it always worked as intended. In the studio it has become a reliable controller as well, both for CV input and output to/from the DAW.

One thing concerning LFO's. If you feed the QuNeo with an LFO that normally goes from -5V to +5V, you need to build a little hardware circuit with 5V power supply. The CME X-Key's expression input allows direct LFO input without circuitry, it only neglects the voltage below 0V. So, in order to get the perfect LFO signal into your DAW you have to build that circuit for both devices.

Other CV inputs like Envelope, Random, note, etc. that go from 0V-5V work fine without circuits between on both devices.
  • I have Doepfer Drehbank - it has 8 CV inputs which are translate to midi cc. I can send, for example LFO from modular to DAW through MIDI to controll whatever you want. However CV resolution is much bigger than midi cc can handle so its like putting carpet on the stairs. MIDI is not a solution. Forget about it. It must be CV controller. I believe its possible to working with CV in/outs via USB which is much more faster and has better resolution than 8 bit MIDI. If PureDate or MAX can read OSC I think Audulus can do the same. This is virtual domain, everything is possible. Take a look here http://omfootctrl.sourceforge.net/#OSC
  • that's true, MIDI resolution is too low for certain parameters. So far I could live with it (doing that with a Drehbank as well since years). Besides, the QuNeo has an OSC Bridge that translates CV to OSC, but I haven't used that yet because there are only few VSTi's that understand OSC. In my case, Reaktor is the only one.

With these new devices, including Arduino/Teensy/Raspberry Pi and the one you posted, there are now a couple of options for CV-OSC translation. If Audulus could understand OSC it would be a big plus, also for tablet controllers (Lemur, TouchOSC) and new exotic hardware controllers like Madronalabs SoundPlane, Haken Continuum, Linnstrument, Seaboard, etc.
  • I love TouchOSC! +1 OSC support
  • OSC could be step forward. Its 32 or 64 bit instead of 8 bit midi.
    Hats off for TouchOSC, but I would like to have a real piece of hardware.
  • Oooh, very nice! I love the retro 70s design and the simple grid. Thousands of pulses per revolution, right on! I would prefer if the knobs were taller and knurled, like they typically are. Good find :)
  • I am down to develop this ;). Macromachines.net
  • I wonder if Audulus would perform well on this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014N4CZE2?keywords=stick computer&qid=1451942131&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

If so, it might be pretty embeddable. As in, put it into a small enclosure and pretend..
  • @jjthrash thats sick bro its smaller than RaspPi!
  • @biminiroad Yeah, they're pretty neat. Since it's a general-purpose computer I'd be concerned about stability though. If it's a floor multieffect it's gotta be rock-solid.
  • If you are interested in PureData (and hence Max/MSP) or SuperCollider in eurorack, have a look at Terminal Tedium - see https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=104896 It runs an RPi, so not limited just to PureData or SuperCollider. There are some minor latency issues due to it running on top of a fully-fledged OS, rather than on bare metal, but nothing too major (at least, not bad enough to bother me).

If you want to run PureData or FAUST code on bare metal, no latency, then check out the Rebel Tech OWL module at http://www.rebeltech.org/products/owl-modular/. I don't have one, yet, but will be building one in the next few months.

Both Terminal Tedium and the OWL module are begging for an OLED display and an encoder, which would make it so much easier to switch between and configure different modes and functions in such polymorphic modules.
  • If we do a hardware piece we will make our own module we wouldnt use an OWL or TT - we'd want it to run at least at parity with iPad's CPU power, if not more.

Absolutely no promises but this might happen sooner than we thought. Dont get your hopes up, but we are actively looking into how to do this.
  • This is an area that really interests me.
    I'm of the opinion that custom DIY hardware/software will be huge in 2016-2017.

Perhaps Builder by Livid would be a good fit for Audulus?
    http://lividinstruments.com/products/builder

Also, http://www.critterandguitari.com & http://patchblocks.com are both really cool.
  • biminiroad> "If we do a hardware piece we will make our own module we wouldnt use an OWL or TT - we'd want it to run at least at parity with iPad's CPU power, if not more."

An RPi 2 will give you similar CPU capability and memory to an iPad, and the RPi touch screen is just small enough to fit the eurorack format: http://au.element14.com/raspberry-pi/raspberrypi-display/raspberry-pi-7inch-touchscreen/dp/2473872

Add some buffered control voltage and gate inputs and outputs, and audio I/O at eurorack levels, and power it from the eurorack power bus, and you have a platform for Audulus in Eurorack, assuming that a port to linux is feasible. Oh, hold on, doesn't Terminal Tedium already provide all those things, including hosting of the RPi 2, except for the display? Yes, it does! Thus the sensible thing would be to work with Max Stadler to see if Terminal Tedium could be adapted to support the RPi Touchscreen display as well (there may not be enough GPIO pins). But I get the impression that you'd rather do all the engineering yourself.
  • Hi. I am new to Raspberry Pi, but i know its using an ARM processor, And the apple/windows world is using an Intel processor. So.... i dont know if the sofware would run at all, but then again, the raspbeery pi runs linux, and audulus runs on linux? Meh... im too stupid;)

But spec wise, the raspberry Pi3 seems just as powerful as an ipad, right?

But a dream machine for me would be something as the Nord modular, but just a 2016 version. And you could make that with the Raspberry pi, running Audulus. A tiny computer, and a midi controller (I could easily "DIY" a box that had everything), and you are good to go. Want to make patches? Hook the computer up to a screen and a mouse/keyboard. Save and have fun tweaking knobs!

Is this at all possible?

My dream box would be a box running Audulus, with about 64 normal pots (NOT endless encoders), and then a small display (for saving/recalling patches), and about 8 endless encoders. On top of that an area with 8 or more small on/off buttons.
    If possible (but the price would likely sky-rocket), small LED scribble strips underneath each pot/button. That way you can build pretty much any machine, but still know your way around it.
    You could make FX processors, sample players/VA synths, whatever and have the joy of hardware.

But enough of the dreaming;)

-Would the Raspberry Pi be able to run Audulus?
  • OMG, why have I never seen this thread before?! I have been intrigued by the possibility of touchscreens on eurorack modules and blank DSP hardware. I can tell already that I'm going to be watching a lot of Erica Synths youtube videos.

also +1 Would Raspberry Pi be able to run Audulus?
  • @the19thbear - Yes, this is very possible, and we encourage you to do it! Yes, running Linux would be your best option.

In the future, we'll eventually make a module that runs directly on firmware (no OS required - write it on your iOS device or your computer and zap it to the module somehow). But for now, making a module, seems like using a Pi would be your best solution.

If you're really serious about doing this, I'll give you a free copy of Audulus for Linux to try it. Write me at mark@audulus.com and show me some of your past electronics projects so I know you're not just a daydreamer :)
  • You've got mail!:)
  • @the19thbear - bah, I'm sorry, Taylor just informed me it won't run on the Pi! Sorry :/ Audulus needs Linux x86
  • In that case, I just put my axoloti up for sale, so I can buy a lattepanda. That will run it just fine on ubuntu:)
    To be continued!
  • The smallest latte panda comes with a quad core 1.2-1.8ghz quad core processor and 2 gigs of ram, built in 32gig flash drive. About 10 of those gigs will be used on the OS (thats windows 10, but I don't know how big an ubuntu OS packagage would be)

Will that be enough to power an audulus session?
    There is a 4gig ram version as well, but I can't really afford it at the moment.
    I know the more complex things you do, the more CPU/memory will be used. But to build your bread and butter VA style synth, would the processing power/memory, listed above, be enough?
    (Not that I'm planning on only making VAs, it's just a good reference point).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!