Another Compressor
  • Here's the compressor I put together. I suspect it's similar to the one @SteveX just posted given that we were both working from the same source.
    Screen Shot 2017-11-11 at 4.29.24 PM.png
    2730 x 2116 - 302K
    compressor.audulus
  • wow, it's a red letter day for compressors!
  • It is very humbling to sift through your work. I did a board layout for the compressor below and wired it up a couple of months ago. I just need to mount it in a box.

http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/engineersthumb2.html *(forgot to add this link).
  • Always inspiring to see your creations @stschoen
  • Thanks for the complements!
  • I was trying to feed a midi gate signal into an adsr module then the plan was to duck the volume on the compressor for sidechaining. The idea is to let my kick drum push through the mix without a noticeable ducking effect, more so than the common pronounced pumping effect.

Has anyone addressed sidechain compression here yet. Where I got stuck with you compressor is I can feed a gate>adsr>volume but that would increase the volume when the midi note sent the gate, but I want to duck the volume. Is there a way to invert the modulation so that a gate pulse decreases a parameter instead of increasing it?
  • You might want to check out the Gravity Compressor Mk II from @stevex, it has a pretty nice sidechain feature.
    Sidechain Compressor Demo.audulus
    Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 2.51.09 PM.png
    1337 x 749 - 213K
  • Funny That you should mention that. I was just thinking this morning about modifying my last envelope generator so that you could start and end at a non-zero level. That way you could have a dip instead of a peak. Of course you could just subtract the envelope from a value as a quick and dirty fix.
  • @futureaztec, I just posted a new version of my chain able envelope generator that will allow you to configure an envelope that dips instead of rises. I think it might do what you want.
  • Thanks for letting me know. I will give it a shot stschoen.