Dual Trace Oscilloscope
  • Nothing technical here, but I'm finding this patch useful when measuring signal levels (after filtering, etc.)…it eliminates the need to manually overlay multiple signal and Level waveform windows as well as the associated Level Nodes and wiring, and frees up a lot of patch real-estate (especially for measurement stuff that will be deleted in a final patch).
    My other incentive for posting this patch is to entice (prod…..;-)) @Taylor to add and adjustable sweep rate (time base) to the Waveform Metering Node….then we could have a real oscilloscope the could display actual audio frequency waveforms.

Simple Operation: Set cursor to top of waveform peak (top of peak squiggly line for real audio frequencies…;-)) - press Sto. to store cursor level as a reference level - move cursor to top of peak for channel B waveform - read Relative DB level at right or actual cursor level next to cursor.
    Screen Shot 2013-12-14 at 10.31.28 AM.png
    390 x 276 - 34K
    Dual Trace Oscilloscope.audulus
  • Awesome! I didn't realize it would show multiple waveforms in the same place like that.
  • @BTL, very nice! I'll put adding an adjustable rate to the waveform node on the to-do list!

@Dcramer, it has multiple waveform nodes stacked on top of each other in the sub-patch. Nice trick!

• Thanks DCramer and Taylor for the compliment.
    @Taylor…another thing I think we need is for the state of the patch "Lock" function to actually get saved on a per-patch and per-subpatch basis…..I'm actually afraid to go back into that patch for fear of knocking all of those waveform windows out of alignment….it took a long time to get them aligned properly.
  • @Dcramer,
    By the way, quite some time ago I downloaded your "Square Wave Composition" patch…
    very cool…relaxing (and clever)…I often play it as low background music while working on the computer….creates inspirational brainwaves!
    "Is that old space music undergoing graceful liquefaction.…or is there water dripping on the turntable?".
    "The boat is slowly sinking……but everybody's asleep……..".
  • @BTL I was thinking that a nice addition to Audulus would be colored traces for the waveform node, simplifying wave comparison. As for knocking things out of alignment: Undo is your best friend. I also think lock status should be saved with the patch.
  • @BTL, @JDRaoul - what about having per-node locking?
  • My instinct is that per-node locking would be unnecessarily complicated.
  • @JDRaoul,
    Yea, colors could be helpful in that regard.
    Also, with regard to knocking things out of alignment, I've been kind of thinking that it would be nice if we could make, even on a smaller scale, positional associations between nodes. For instance, a text label that goes along with a knob or push button can be associated with that knob and travel with it as it gets moved around. Right now, that must be done with double selection of the two nodes which can become a bit difficult in a congested sub patch, particularly with nodes as small as text labels....I guess that could be done currently by making the knob and it's label a sub- patch in itself, but that may be going a bit overboard. That actually leads me to another question ...see below...you may be helpful in answering at least half of the question.
  • @Taylor,
    1) Does the number of levels of nested sub-patches (with exposed knobs, if that makes it worse), or the number of sub-patches (again, with exposed knobs, if that slows things down) in general have any effect on CPU efficiency of an overall patch?
    2) Is there a "CPU Load" rating, below which we can be relatively assured that a patch will run smoothly and glitch free or would that number be patch dependent?
    A) On a per device basis (when patch is developed on same device that it will run on)
    B) Also, on an across device basis (as in uploaded for distribution)
    I realize that B) may be a complex answer since there are multiple devices, from ipad2's, 4's and the new ones running Audulus (I'm sure the iPads set the lower bound).
  • @Taylor,
    I think that per node locking could be very helpful, but, as JDRaoul suggested, could become very confusing to the user as to as to determining exactly what is locked to what (two nodes, group of nodes, entire patch) depending on how you would indicate the locks.
  • Or maybe just some sort of snap to grid?
  • @BTL
    1) Exposed controls are just a visual thing, so they won't affect CPU load. Input and Output nodes still have a small overhead for copying data, which I'd like to eliminate.
    2) CPU load of less than .3 is quite smooth in my experience on a per-device basis (A). I've done quite a bit of work to avoid spikes in the CPU load that can cause audio dropouts, but I'm sure there's more to do. For (B), I'll try to come up with a CPU load table for device compatibility.
  • @Dcramer, snap to grid is on the to-do list :-)
  • This is useful, thanks!
  • I downloaded the patch in Audulus 3 and it hangs getting stuck at "Loading" stage until your force close the app.

Is there an Oscilloscope node or way to do something like:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLa9Em_H8Xs_al-r_90xYiuiz-3N8HZyf_&v=0nuxXM9QQPA

I had never thought of a low pass as turning a square wave into a sine as all harmonics get filtered, and found looking at the bit-crusher effect visually as me "finally" getting exactly what it does.

• @fferreres - Audulus 2 and lower patches (like this one) are not compatible with 3. This is because 3 has a completely different underlying programming language - Taylor tried his best to make 1 and 2 patches work with 3, but it just couldn't happen. This won't happen in the future with 3 to 4, etc.

And no, there is no way (yet) to do the standing wave oscilloscope. There will be with a new visualizer node that we're working on!

Looking at this might help you understand even more deeply how square waves (and all waves) are really just a composition of sine waves of different harmonics:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FourierSeries.html
  • Thanks for the quick reply. Looking forwatd to the update! I knew about the other waves bring a sine, but the ossciloscope explained it visually, and when you overlap many sines the right way (right harmonics) you can get any shape. Just that the oscilloscope made it "i knew it, now I can visualize it too".

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!