Can we evolve the arpeggiator?
  • A long time ago, I made a basic arpeggiator for Audulus and I haven't really changed it since then. I was wondering what would happen if we collectively tried to make a few variations on it and form it into a uModule. The thing I would like to try would be making inversions of the arpeggios that ascend up the scale, but anything beyond the basic note being plugged into a sequencer would be awesome.
    order played 4 note arpeggiator.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-11-03 at 4.55.02 PM.png
    1341 x 881 - 222K
  • I’d be glad to have another crack at it. The chord flipper and arpeggiator I made a while back could definitely use some improvement.
  • How's this? At the moment it only goes up but that could change. It takes a poly octave input (up to 4) and a poly gate (also 4). The number of positive gates sets the number of notes in the arpeggio. The clock (steps the arpeggio up one note. It's configured for two octaves, but that is easily changed internally. It's neat to hook up the poly keyboard node to the o and gate inputs and try various combinations of notes, particularly with the clock set faster.
    Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 1.21.41 PM.png
    3126 x 1818 - 545K
    STS Arpeggiator.audulus
  • Awesome! @stschoen, I almost forgot that I had the chord flipper and arpeggiator lying around to look at (such an embarrassment of riches!). The new mini arpeggiator sounds very much like Terry Riley when on a fast setting.

How would you sort the notes from low to high (or vis versa) and still maintain the arpeggiation?
  • I was working on that this afternoon. Here's V2 which sorts the notes and disables the ones without an active gate. That actually posed the biggest problem since the keyboard node continues to generate a pitch even after the note gate has ended. I had to eliminate these pitches from the sorted pitches. Still only goes up. In order to go down I will have to reverse all the counter logic and sorting. I already have a bidirectional counter from an earlier project, but it may be simpler to duplicate the whole setup and switch between the two. I'm still thinking about the most effective way.
    STS Arpeggiator V2.audulus
  • (Brilliant, this is definitely something to chew on. Now it's really only a matter of fine tunings and a lot of different modes can be derived from this-- up, down, pendulum, random, and inverting.)== Thanks*1000000
  • I'm currently working on making it go up or down. I think it'll sound cool and it will make some of the other modes easier to construct.
  • This is version 3. I decided to use the same counters for up and down simultaneously. Originally I just had it going up and down, but I thought it might be neat to bring both out to the UI. Now there is a down output that starts up 2 octaves and arpeggios down and one that goes up two octaves as well as one that goes up then down. I still think one that would switch directions on a gate signal might be useful, so that's probably next. BTW I seem to have weird bug. If I change from keyboard to the phasor test rig or back. For some reason the lowest ADSR stops working when there is only one note. You can put a value node on either side and see that even though the input is high, the output is very low (not 0). If I save the patch and reopen it without changing the connections everything works fine.
    STS Arpeggiator V3.audulus
  • Here's a demo of the arpeggiator using a Neo-Riemannian chord generator, my go-to @biminiroad oscillator and of course one of @Sans-nom's excellent filters.

Tweaked - see below
    Screen Shot 2017-11-05 at 4.18.15 PM.png
    3578 x 2248 - 1M
  • Here's a uMod version
    STS uPegg V1.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-11-05 at 5.32.12 PM.png
    1090 x 1330 - 171K
  • @stschoen really interesting how you have up, down and pendulum outputs simultaneously! Also I appreciate the internal notation, I don't know if I mentioned that before.
  • I'm trying to be a bit better at documenting. I know from personal experience how hard it is sometimes to reverse-engineer someone else's work, so anything to make it a bit easier. I'm still working on the up-down gate version. It may not actually be as useful as the current one since it fairly quickly goes off the deep end one way or the other. Still if you switch the gate appropriately it could be useful. Hope to have it finished tomorrow. I'd like to get back to working on the compressor before it completely disappears from my brain. BTW, the current two octave sweep is controlled by a constant fed to the limit of the uppermost counter and could be easily bought out to the UI if you thought it was worthwhile. The demo was a bit of a happy accident, as is the case with most of my patches, but I thought it turned out pretty good.
  • Modified demo patch
    STS Arpeggiator V3 demo.audulus
    1M
  • Thought I would make a tonally abstract stuttering version of the demo.
    STS Arpeggiator V3 demo stutter REMIX.audulus
    1M
  • @RobertSyrett, that's killer! It's amazing what a difference a seemingly minor change can make. The lower sound density makes the arpeggiated (is that a word?) nature of the chord structure much more apparent. I saw you stutter module posting yesterday and hadn't had a chance to check it out. A definite thumbs up! Every once in a while, when the stutter kicks in just right, I get a real "jew's harp" vibe from this patch.