Unofficial uModular patches
  • The other thread is getting YUGE, so I thought I would start a new thread. Here things are just to style. There is no great collection that I will be releasing. Maybe some of this stuff will end up in uModular proper if @biminiroad likes it, but for now, this is just an exercise in making minimal modules that can do a lot with little cpu. Visually, the emphasis is put on narrowness and the ability to fit a bunch of them on an iOS device screen. Internally, things should be clearly laid out with the emphasis on even spacing and labels for non obvious functions. You can take up as much space as necessary inside the patch. The key thing is, the interface can be as minimal and unlabeled but they should be discoverable through rudimentary experimentation, or well explained inside the module. There is attached some examples from the other thread so that the general style is there.

Blinking lights:
    green light node is for gate signals
    red led = 0-1 modulation
    bipolar signals such as audio have red led for positive and blue led for negative
    1/oct is blank with an o

for sequencers:

if only one sequence
    current step = red
    max step = blue
    min step = green

if several sequences on same sequencer
    2nd is blue
    3rd is green
    4th is purple
    5th is white
    6th is yellow
    ...others TBD

an exception to the red = modulation rule is made in this case to allow the color coding of the sequences.

uModular Collection selected examples.audulus
    1M
  • A nice little karplus strong patch.
    karplus strong.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 11.29.08 AM.png
    936 x 614 - 116K
  • Here is another @afta8 classic that sounds to my ears like eventide shimmer reverb effect.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 11.49.02 AM.png
    936 x 548 - 130K
    uShimmer.audulus
  • Here are two meter nodes for reading o signals and seeing what note they are on a tiny keyboard display. One has sharp and flat, the other has octave.
    uNoteMeter usharpflat.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 9.09.22 PM.png
    1014 x 470 - 100K
  • Here is a cascaded crossfader mixer that @Phal_anx designed
    Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 9.51.22 PM.png
    945 x 527 - 102K
    uBlender.audulus
  • Here is a super simple cartesian sequencer inspired by the Make Noise Rene. It can easily be customized and I will make some variations shortly. This version has a built-in chromatic quantizer and an unquantized modulation output.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 9.04.08 PM.png
    920 x 691 - 158K
    uRene.audulus
  • Here is a uModular rework of the bermuda oscillator, sporting fm modulation and unique shape control.
    uBahama.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 9.14.48 PM.png
    927 x 859 - 185K
  • Here is a gate cartesian sequencer with a built in gate smear.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 9.59.50 PM.png
    876 x 624 - 113K
    uGateGrid.audulus
  • Here is @Biminiroad's high/low detector given the uModular facelift.
    uHighLow.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 10.34.15 PM.png
    1060 x 708 - 107K
  • You were busy last night! These will definitely be handy.
  • x-post with the rungler thread
    uRungler.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 8.17.14 PM.png
    723 x 747 - 136K
  • Here is my favorite kick. It's been optomized quite a bit from it's original form. There is an internal toggle for added sizzle.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 10.56.52 PM.png
    951 x 518 - 124K
    uKick.audulus
  • @RobertSyrett I can't believe you turned out the Rungler that quick!
  • @Zjenji you are actually too kind. I really am just editing the patch from what it was, and since it was a patch I designed it was pretty easy to know what was going on and what to swap out :)
  • Here is a wonderful snare that @Nömak designed. I love the tonal quality to this snare.
    uSnare.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 11.27.01 PM.png
    953 x 692 - 106K
  • Another of @Nömak's drumkit modules given the uModular makeover. uHäts sounds great as is or when run through a gentle low pass filter.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 11.42.14 PM.png
    935 x 674 - 115K
    uHats.audulus
  • I think I will start picking the low-hanging fruit from the Mutable Instruments Braids Macro Oscillator, here is a CS-80 saw wave. Also the new Bladerunner: 2049 movie is AMAZING! Go see it!
    Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 12.23.29 AM.png
    629 x 465 - 42K
    uCsaw.audulus
  • Here is a Vosim oscillator in the uModular mold.
    uVosm.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 1.02.38 AM.png
    900 x 562 - 88K
  • Here is a digital noise module that goes from bipolar stepped randoms to white noise with variable bit depth and 1/oct control. There is also an output with a pinking filter in case you need to emulate radio or television static.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 1.23.49 AM.png
    683 x 416 - 62K
    uNoise.audulus
  • You can never have enough oscillators, right? Here is my model of the "FINAL" wave output from the Make N0ise DPO. That's the one with all the extra controls that shape a sinusoid into a spike and runs it through a wave folder. I even put the strike input in there since it's so much fun to use this guy as percussion.
    uFinal.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 1.58.26 AM.png
    934 x 458 - 90K
  • Well, here is another Make N0ise inspired oscillator based on the STO. It's less complicated but still quite nice sounding.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 2.33.32 AM.png
    1024 x 420 - 67K
    uSTO.audulus
  • Thanks for these Robert! Adding them all today. Especially love the kick, very felty sounding.
  • Here is a pretty stupid simple module that chromatically quantizes incoming 1/oct signals and generates either major or minor triad chords. I might make another version that does inversions.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-14 at 7.18.24 PM.png
    1487 x 998 - 223K
    uTriad.audulus
  • After making the triad generator it seemed like a no brainer to quantize the output so that a generative chord progression stays within a scale. To make the lives of all people quantizing chords easier, I just made a quad quantizer out of @stschoen't tiny uQuant, but the same principle of using quad to mono nodes can be applied to any quantizer.
    uQuadQnt.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-10-14 at 7.22.12 PM.png
    982 x 669 - 148K
  • Neat idea. I've used the quad node before to bundle signals but this is a good way to automatically generate 4 copies of the quantizer. Alternatively you could put a quad node in the triad generator and it would give you 4 quantizers also. I don't know if you noticed, but I encapsulated the numbers for the more common scales with a text label so I didn't have to remember what scale each number represented.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-14 at 10.41.04 PM.png
    1802 x 1864 - 298K
    uModular tiny quantizer V4.audulus
  • @stschoen yes, I cut them and pasted them inside the quantizer so I am never without them. I just like to type in random numbers sometimes, especially 2 digit ones.
  • You could hook a random source scaled to twelve bits to the scale input and generate random scales that would periodically change
  • It would be neat to modify one of your tiny keyboard displays to indicate the enabled notes for a given number. You would need the number and the root note if you wanted it to change with the key.
  • I was thinking of something a little more rudimentary. The quad to mono node can be be conjoined with a 4 to 1 mixer node to compound the display. The only downside is that you have to connect all 4 inputs or one of the notes will just sit on A.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 1.15.42 AM.png
    748 x 573 - 97K
    uQuad Note Meter.audulus
  • I just realized that the space in between the inputs and the outputs is just the right size for a note display. This is another instance of when it would be great to have a normalize node so that if nothing were plugged into the quantizer, no note would display.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 1.48.52 AM.png
    325 x 642 - 65K
    The blackest abyss is a pock in the flesh when one has gazed in solitude upon the infinity of self.audulus
  • Looks great. I think I'll do the same thing to the single note version. BTW I really like the patch. I've been listening to it as I work on revising the other module.
  • Here's an update to my tiny quantizer from ideas by @RobertSyrett and @biminiroad. I added a keyboard style note display that shows the notes in the current scale and the current output note.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 10.17.16 AM.png
    3000 x 2776 - 524K
    uModular tiny quantizer V5.audulus
  • Pretty awesome! I like that the black and white keys are now different colors!
  • Here is the simplest compressor I could think of.

Edit 10/23 I swapped out the slew module for smoother enveloping.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 12.02.16 AM.png
    1404 x 776 - 102K
    Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 12.04.58 AM.png
    1602 x 902 - 202K
    uComp.audulus
  • Here is another waveshaping utility, it's less aggressive than folding, and can be used to shape modulation quite readily.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 2.42.04 AM.png
    968 x 668 - 136K
    uWaveBender.audulus
  • @RobertSyrett, the different colors aren't for the black and white keys. Like the larger unit, they indicate the notes in the current scale which happens to be C major in the screen shot. I colored the notes not in the scale because the display looked kind of weird with the missing notes in black. I like the compressor, very clear notation. You are certainly creating a huge variety of different waveshapers. At this rate wavetables will become superfluous!
  • @stschoen yeah, I deduced that eventually, but was too lazy/sleepy to edit the comment. I think this will be just about all my waveshaping tools in uModular format, everything else is just variations on these modules. Interestingly they still don't quite replace wavetable synthesis in the metallic/inharmonic department. The wavetable oscillators like the E352 Cloud Terrarium are pretty remarkable.
  • Impressive unit! It certainly has a lot of different modes to choose from. It still does quite a bit of more traditional wavefolding etc. I'm not really clear on morphing. What exactly does morphing mean in this context?
  • morphing wavetables is just interpolating between two wavetables with an arbitrary degree of smoothness.
  • I kind of thought that might be the case but wasn't sure. So you could achieve similar results by interpolating between two more conventionally generated waveforms.
  • It would be possible but the joy of wavetables are the asymmetric slightly buzzy sounds that come from segments of cellos and such. You can definitely get some of the flavor of a wavetable, but i would still argue the wavetable is distinct.
  • After watching the link you posted on the E352, I would agree. Since practical wavetable synthesis in Audulus will probably have to wait until V4, I was really thinking about adapting some of the same techniques. I think it should be possible to build an interpolator that would take two input waveforms and smoothly morph between them. Of course in all likelihood someone has already built such a patch and I just haven't seen it.
  • >someone has already built such a patch and I just haven't seen it.

Ain't that the truth! and it's probably an Audulus 2 patch.
  • This is almost too simple to post, except I haven't seen it elsewhere, it's a timer node that displays minutes and seconds up to an hour. The formatting is a little messed up, but there's not much that can be done about that for the time being.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-17 at 1.54.33 AM.png
    530 x 382 - 24K
    uMinuteSeconds.audulus
  • The rising/falling detector in the library have always annoyed me because they don't output gates but rather a stream of pulses. So I redesigned the module using bits of @stschoen's shift register to make the output more constant. Also, a falling output is a little redundant as audulus makes it so easy to invert the rising signal and create a falling gate.
    uRising.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-10-17 at 4.01.35 AM.png
    1171 x 423 - 79K
    Screen Shot 2017-10-17 at 4.08.12 AM.png
    1543 x 641 - 151K
  • The uSlew is an outgrowth of the rising detection module, as I realized I could use the reduced shift register to produce slew. The current slew module is fine in most instances, but it will flatline or self oscillate in some edge cases, and I took it as a challenge to see if I could improve upon it by adapting the design. I also never use the "mode" on the current library version, so I replaced it with an exponentiated response that I think is more useful for performative portamento sounds. Finally, there is a built in detector for when sinusoid content is present in the slew signal and it will switch over to a low pass filter to shape the signal, making this slew useful for modulation of all kinds.

edit: Adjusted the pop filter in the slew limiter to be consistent across different sample rates

edit 10/23/2017: I also include a simple slew which is just a LPF filter, I realized that this is what I need most of the time unless I am really looking for linear transitions between stepped voltages. The simple filter has the fewest instances of freaking out and sounds fine.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-17 at 5.18.07 AM.png
    737 x 489 - 64K
    uSlew.audulus
  • The rising slope detector will definitely come in handy. That's a very interesting approach to building a slew module. It never would have occurred to me to use a shift register. I've always gone the simple rout and either used a low-pass filter with alpha very close to 1 or just grabbed the library module if I needed something more sophisticated. I'll definitely give your design a tryout.
  • BTW, I was thinking about morphing yesterday and it seems to me, at least in the case of a linear transition, that it's really just a crossfade between the two waveforms. Am I missing something?
  • Good morning @stschoen! I got something you might actually use:

Here's the formula for getting a specific frequency out of the super simple dsp lowpass :)

Originally I was trying to make an asymmetric slew and it became apparent that the library slew had a lot of bugs. I definitely use a lowpass most of the time myself, but recently I have been thinking about slow volume control and so want something more linear most of the time that won't freak out when the incoming signal has some curves on it.

Regarding the morphing of waveforms. The issue is mostly algorithmic phase alignment otherwise you end up with phase cancellation artifacts (which can be cool).

Screen Shot 2017-10-17 at 6.09.57 AM.png
    969 x 376 - 56K
    Screen Shot 2017-10-17 at 6.25.41 AM.png
    883 x 628 - 92K
  • Thanks for the formula. I've mostly been adjusting it by ear.
  • As far as the morphing goes, in order to be effective, the waveforms clearly need to be in sync or at least at a constant phase differential. This looks interesting: http://digitalmusics.dartmouth.edu/~larry/published_articles/icmc_articles/polansky_mckinney.pdf