EX1_Tetropolis
  • Well... I *somewhat* proudly present you my Sequencer I am programming for quite a while. As you've probably noticed, there's quite a big relation to the Metropolis - but I've enhanced it with some weird functions to alter your sequence by a twist of a knob. Also I'm not a big fan of randomness - so no randomness inside the Tetropolis. Nevertheless it's very easy to mess your sequence up - but also to restore it. ;)
    I'm noodling around with the Tetropolis and my beloved BIA (you might notice the labels on the Minefield) for about 2/3 weeks now and I'm having my fun with it. I left my (calibrated) ES-8 outs inside.

I've also debugged the sh*t out of it... I'm resonably satisfied - but I would be glad, if you find some bugs in the UX or if something doesn't work as you would expect - just say it and I try to fix it (or do it by yourself). Or I give you a short "works to product specification" to turn you down (damn you ptc!). ;)
    Tetropolis is developed on a Windows machine ...so no fancy svg.

The demo patch is a quite slow sequence just to show how much you can get out of 8 steps and a little bit of modulation. But usually I go for 16th and do Techno.

Here some short advice on the functions (which I will insert in the patch when I release it at 1.0):

- Please hit the *Reset*-Button before start. Some states are not saved - so you have to initalize it.

The I/O:

In:
    *Clock*, *Reset*, *Octave-Range*

Out (on the right; top to bottom):
    *#* Total Number of steps (if you increase the Increment [see below] it might not work)
    *S* Currently active stage [1-8]
    *Mute* the gate output.
    *Gate* ...uhm
    *1/Oct* the barebone of Audulus
    *CV* the language of Eurorack.
    *Sync* High when a new sequence is starting.

The Main-Rows (8 each):

- In the *Active*-Row you declare how many stages you want to take.
    - In the *Step*-Row you choose how many steps a stage has
    - The *Value*-Row set's the output 1/Oct and CV. I've removed an internal Quantizer for the more potent one designed by @stschoen - so why not use it?
    - The *Gate*-Row modifies the output: 0 For silent, 1 for hold, 2 for single, 3 for repeat and 4 for fractions of the clock input time (Pulsat0r). Beware: Pulsat0r has about 4 (?) internal stages. For example: Low values like 4.0 to 4.25 will break the gate in less fractions while high values above 4.75 will break the gate even further - like a stutter effect. So you need a quite fast envelope, depending on your clock.
    - The *Slew*-Row slews the output, depending on the button lit.

- The modulations:

Most modulations are only initalized when the sequence is restarting (sequence hits 1) or you hit Restart. I did this with the performance in mind.

*Mode* (top left): The way the the sequencer cycles: Up, down or first up and then down.

*Offset*: Decide, where you want to start the sequence.
    *Walk Offset Mode*: When active, the offset increases each time the sequence restarts by the value of the Offset-button. If *Offset* is 3 it starts at 1, then next cycle 4, then 7 etc.

*Increment* sets the number of steps it the sequencer will jump. It's an interesting feature because of the way how it handles the transitions between the sequences when there's a rest if you divide the total number of steps by the increment. And because the sequence starts at 1 there's almost everytime a rest. For example: 8 steps, 2 increment let the sequence jump the following way: 1,3,5,7,2,4,6,8. And 8s/3i will move this way: 1,4,7,2,5,8,3,6.

*Shifter* shifts the *Value* of the stages to the right. So for example a Shift of 2 let the third stage get the value of the first stage and so on.

*Octave* switches the octave. The input is added to the current range.

*Transpose* alters the value.

*Power* multiplicates the value of the stage - like a global *value* amplifier.
    *Flip* inverts the value.

*Seq Length* sets the length of the sequence and divides the sequence by two - up to 4 times.
    If *rel/fix Length* is active, the Length of the is fixed to 16/8/4/2/1 - it doesn't care how long the actual sequence is.
    *Gate-Length* sets the relative length of each *Gate-Mode* from 5% to 95% - except *Pulsat0r*, which is fixed (intentional).

When I'm bored with a sequence, I twist one or two of the modulations and I have a new sequence - with some new and some old elements.

Hope you like it :)

EX1_Tetropolis_V0_9-Demo.audulus
    4M
    Tetropolis_0.9.PNG
    1428 x 945 - 255K
  • What the?! So many new sequencers to choose from!
  • What a golden age of sequencing! You gotta chain 'em all!
  • @Experiment1 I like your version of metropolis a lot! I would only quibble that by changing the range of the knobs from 0-1 to 0-8.1 or other values it becomes a little more difficult to attach other modulation sources to them, like putting an LFO on the step length for example. But very well made and laid out internally. Top marks!
  • @RobertSyrett you're right - noted! These knobs were basically the first thing I've created in my short but intense Audulus life. In their current version they're even missing the +0.5 in the floor(knob).
    So... would it be the best to standarize everything to the range [0;1] except o/Oct?
    What about the gate signal? I've noticed, that some nodes like the envelope can compute values >1.

Actually the internals are quite a mess (in my eyes) and I'm collecting some functions for "internal functions" to that the UI doesn't explode.
    Thanks for your input!