uModular Collection Beta
  • This is a beta collection of tiny modules that are simple to use and light (as possible) on CPU.

Would love your thoughts and reactions!
    uModular Collection v1.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 3.03.38 PM.png
    906 x 1668 - 293K
  • Here's v2
    uModular Collection v2.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 4.15.23 PM.png
    1510 x 1706 - 564K
  • This is a fun exercise in minimal GUI. I like it!
  • @RobertSyrett - thanks!

Here's a couple more, including some brand new modules like a tape delay...@stschoen's quantizer awaits mini-fication
    uModular Collection v3.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 9.37.18 PM.png
    1730 x 1660 - 658K
  • v4 - up to 37 new and repackaged modules!
    Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 11.00.13 AM.png
    1404 x 1524 - 418K
    uModular Collection v4.audulus
    1M
  • These modules remind me of sushi for some reason. I could just eat them up.
  • For gate delay, maybe the timer node is more CPU efficient?

Also, you missed a section ;)

Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 8.51.00 AM.png
    1288 x 775 - 91K
    Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 9.12.59 AM.png
    518 x 201 - 23K
  • Also the waveform mixing on the dual oscillator can have a lot of phase cancellation and you can create square waves from saws and triangles :) They won't always do this because the two oscillators aren't synced and so won't always be phase aligned, but It's something to consider.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 8.59.54 AM.png
    755 x 344 - 24K
    Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 9.01.02 AM.png
    722 x 350 - 26K
  • @robertsyrett thanks for pointing those excellent solutions out! I will add them in to the next version. Here's v5, with a bunch of new LFOs!

and lol about the VCAs, yes I'll add those!
    uModular Collection v5.audulus
    1M
    Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 12.26.25 PM.png
    1186 x 784 - 233K

I noticed that they way you have the AR envelopes set up makes it so that no envelopes are produced if the attack is 0. I have made an alternative method, which now that I think about it, can be applied to make arbitrarily complex envelopes with end of section gate signals and exp/log curves for each segment. I wonder why I didn't think of using timer and crossfade in this way before....

EDIT: This should be an AD envelope as it is trigger only and has no sustain section.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 9.52.53 AM.png
    642 x 531 - 53K
    AR with curve.audulus
  • @robertsyrett - thanks! that's a bug I just caught :) I'll check out these patches.

Here's v6, with a very exciting Tube VCA that sounds as good as you're gonna get to tube on that little CPU, IMHO! It even has a nice feedback option. I'm finding that atan(x) is much more musical and smooth than the harsher tanh(x) soft clipper, btw.

Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 2.27.35 PM.png
    1564 x 1370 - 562K
    uModular Collection v6.audulus
    1M
  • For your consideration I made two uModular style envelopes with proper retriggering and log/exp attack and decay.

I gotta say that envelopes get complicated really fast. I thought I was just going to knock out an AHDSR and an ADSHR buuuut maybe not today.
    Mini AD and AR envelopes.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 12.28.22 PM.png
    639 x 450 - 58K
  • Wait, so the tube VCA has a feedback that is run though a Z-1 node. It acts a lot like the damp knob on the optomix and actually makes the sound darker. I'm used to feedback making things more resonant and eventually self-oscillating.
  • Working on the quantizer. Should be done tonight.
  • @robertsyrett Added! Thank you :) Anyone else feel free to send modules in! Low-CPU is a priority if possible :)
  • @robertsyrett - the feedback on my tube starts to choke the sound and make it (at some settings) almost sound like an HPF is being applied - it's pretty close on this module! :) It doesn't self-oscillate, but if you can figure out how to make that happen, i'd be grateful

@stschoen - thank you!
  • @robertsyrett - I added a negative feedback option for the tube VCA (which self-oscillates a little), so 0.5 = no feedback, 0 = negative feedback, 1 = positive feedback
  • v7 - now with negative feedback, due to the positive feedback from @robertsyrett lol

uModular Collection v7.audulus
    1M
    Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 4.21.39 PM.png
    1628 x 1498 - 698K
  • Nice!

I was out walking the dog, and thought of some more modules I'd like to contribute. I'll be right back with a wave folder and a diode clipper.
  • These look great! Sushi – the raw and the cooked.
    Looking forward to trying them out.
  • Here are a few more modules.
    1) Frequency knob. It's what you need sometimes and why make it from scratch?
    2) This wavefolder is the distillation of all my wave-folding adventures.
    3) Diode drive is the diode modeling from one of Sansnom's filters. It's subtle gold.

Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 2.56.28 PM.png
    951 x 472 - 79K
    uFold uDiodeDrive uFreq.audulus
  • v8 with gateable quantizer and some other repackaged utilities.

61!!! new/reused modules in this library right now. Break 100 by tonight??? maybe...

If you don't notice already, check out this patch below - it shows the advantage of this form factor. Tightly packed modules (more controls on a screen at a time), you can stack modulation modules below the modules they're modulating while keeping the clock/sequencer/audio patch relatively straight at the top, making the patch easier to "read" for others.

Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 5.49.48 PM.png
    1972 x 1590 - 750K
    uModular Collection v8.audulus
  • I got the quantizer finished. I included 8 scales. Major, natural minor, harmonic minor, pentatonic major, pentatonic minor, blues major, blues minor. All are even temperament. To simplify there is no tuning of individual notes. I stored each scale as the decimal equivalent of a 12 digit binary number so I was able to reduce the demuxes to one for scale storage. I included the binary/decimal converters in case anyone wants to change the scales

10-6-17 file updated for bug fix - see below
    Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 6.00.41 PM.png
    1453 x 631 - 177K
  • The utility that I always use is the curve knob that's hidden inside the knob modify module i never use. I think this update it should get it's own uModule. And the inside is already amazingly annotated.
    uCurve.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 3.10.14 PM.png
    963 x 522 - 88K
  • @stschoen Wow, that's looking great!
  • I like the gate-able toggles on the quantizer. Give me a minute while I shamelessly steal the idea.
  • @stschoen can I request or gates on the input? That way the incoming signal will toggle activation. :)
  • A simple random module that is clock-triggered instead of knob-based. I believe this was modified from a @RobertSyrett module originally.
    Clock-Triggered Random.audulus
    IMG_0196.PNG
    2048 x 1536 - 150K
  • One issue I seem to have, at least on the mac, I can connect to the gate-able toggle, but once connected, I can't disconnect it. I can't disconnect the ones on your version 8 post either. Am i missing something? Tried on the iPad as well, same deal.
  • @stschoen I encountered that problem also, I think you can put the input only half on the trigger you will once again be able to remove cord.
  • Also, here's a cute little phase modulation oscillator with morphing waveform.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 3.42.08 PM.png
    956 x 497 - 83K
    uPhaseModulation.audulus
  • @stschoen @robertsyrett - yeah its not ideal as is, but you can delete the module you have gating it to get rid of the wire. I’ll talk to Taylor about this as a feature add. The problem is more when you have outputs on buttons where you cant push the button (easily) without getting a wire pulled out. A compromise is to have the I/o slightly offset from the button, but aesthetically I like them right on the button for this collection at least.
  • @RileyGuy Haha, you beat me to it!
    Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 3.47.37 PM.png
    365 x 384 - 24K
  • Also since people are starting to add their own stuff, one standard I’m shooting for is that all oscillators output (roughly) in the -1 to 1 range. If you stack multiple oscillators on one another they can have a tendency to add up to more than that. Just something to consider for predictable VCF/VCA drive response.
  • I think using cascading crossfades for oscillator mixing is pretty sufficient.

Although it would be pretty easy to make a mixer that attenuated the overall volume as more oscillators come into the mix.

Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 4.26.44 PM.png
    939 x 330 - 48K
    Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 4.26.50 PM.png
    1066 x 658 - 115K
    uCrossfade uOscMix.audulus
  • VERY NICE! Love the innovation going on here. Will add those and others in v10.

@stschoen - LOVE the new quantizer, very brilliant and very easy to read! I minified it *even* further and added it to this collection.

Buchla Bongo sounds abound!
    uModular Collection v9.audulus
    1M
    Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 8.14.19 PM.png
    1656 x 1236 - 530K
  • Thant's certainly a minimalist quantizer. I might also volunteer @RobertSyrett's quantizer module, I think it's got yours beat for compactness.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 8.30.14 PM.png
    574 x 400 - 30K
    RSyrett quantizer.audulus
  • I think it's really helpful to see the active note, so I can choose which notes to mask off. Also, as @stschoen previously mentioned, with the input directly in the center of the trigger, you can't remove any cords you plug into it. But very interesting!

Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 5.32.18 PM.png
    509 x 583 - 61K
    uMajMinQuantizer.audulus
  • @stschoen lol, I thought that at first, but it's actually a major minor scale with a toggle.
  • @robertsyrett - you can cut/paste what is connected to it and the wire will disappear - or undo. But for now I’m leaving it centered pending what might be a minor fix from Taylor just for some unified design rules. This is definitely a kind of exercise in simplicity/unified aesthetic that I love about Audulus - think of how many iterations I’ve personally gone theough since v3 came out let alone all the other aesthetics cropping up! Thats one thing I love so much about Audulus I can usually tell who made something just by how it looks :) the notes being highlighted is a great add though so I replaced it with your version
  • And yeah I’m harmonically boring major/minor is most of what i’m interested in personally so a mini quant like that is awesome. Will make another with pentatonic too since its nice to have the bass playing the pentatonic scale and the melody on the more expanded one.
  • minor fixes are major improvements to quality of living~
  • Actually, what I would like to see is a toggle/trigger that could be connected to natively. Input >0 would switch the trigger on and switch states on the toggle. The same idea as the knob, but 1 and 0 only. I made a copy of the quantizer I posted with the gates.

10/6/17 file updated for bug fix see below
    Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 9.54.23 PM.png
    1511 x 791 - 202K
  • check out this badass new sequencer I just made

@stschoen - thank you!!!!!

everywhichway.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 10.18.38 PM.png
    950 x 1394 - 452K
  • I think we have transcended sushi and entered the realm of mahjong!
  • Here's a minimalist design where I extracted the guts. Roll your own scale by inputting a 12 digit binary number (in decimal of course). I included some to get you started. Root goes from A=0 to G#=12, transpose is +-6 semitones.

10/6/17 file updated for bug fix see below
    Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 10.30.22 PM.png
    1215 x 933 - 131K
  • @robertsyrett lol yessss!

Here’s a video for people to check of the patch above! Feeling super inspired. Thanks everyone for their help!
    https://instagram.com/p/BZzzdwJArkI/
  • Yeah, I pretty much spent the whole day patching. It's been awhile since I had the chance!
  • @biminiroad that patch is outstanding. I've been letting it play for several minutes now and it's very melodic, it hasn't repeated as far as I can tell bu tit always seems to be going somewhere! Think I'll build a uMod version of the Riemannian with just the primary transforms.

• Chords! Neo-Riemannian transform unit.
    uModular Riemannian.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 11.12.45 PM.png
    548 x 1021 - 93K
  • I commenced to messing around and noticed that some of my old favorites could use a trim to fit into uModular format.
    uVia uESeq.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 8.15.21 PM.png
    450 x 438 - 40K
    Viva uModular.audulus