Microtonal Scale Quantizer
  • @Ryancolao asked if I could extend the scale quantizer that I adapted from the O&C module to cover more notes. Given the large number of notes involved, I thought it would be better if I built a single scale quantizer you could modify rather than try to switch between scales. This quantizer supports up to 39 notes and could be extended further if desired. You enter the individual notes as values and a value for the octave as well as the number of notes in the scale. There is a scale mask on the UI. Active notes in the current scale are indicated in green and the currently selected note is in red. I have entered the 34EDO scale from: http://xenharmonic.wikispaces.com/34edo as an example. This scale is entered in cents with 1200 cents to an octave. Enjoy!
    Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 5.27.09 PM.png
    1756 x 588 - 94K
    Microtonal Quantizer.audulus
  • dude!! this is awesome man, wow, cant wait! I feel like I owe you money. Thank you so much for all your work wow!
  • i cant take the smile off my face.. my face is glazed over in awe.. my microtonal dreams have come true!
  • My pleasure!

Wow! How does one organize a patch like that?
    IMG_0039.PNG
    2048 x 2732 - 2M
  • I worked out the basic logic when building the O&C quantizer. It was then just duplicating parts. It took quite a while to connect everything and debug. That's why I stopped at 39 lol.
  • Amazing! And man yeah I've talked to Taylor about some kind of "intelligent" group wiring scheme. He says it would be hard to pull off, but something to keep an eye on in the future (or if you have any ideas on how to implement this on a programming level, we're all ears!
  • I think that the simplest way to address this would be allowing you to embed a module in a sub-patch and expose it's UI. For example the LED array and ladder module could be combined into a single module if the LED array could be exposed. The wiring would still be there, but hidden until needed. If you open the quantizer module, you'll see what I mean. It's complex, but once created you can use the module without having to open it. It would also make the "grunt" work of adding UI elements much less painful. For example, think how neat it would be to have a pre-built module with a knob, some LEDs, some SVG graphics etc. all laid out that could be added as a unit.
  • @stschoen - good idea - that's definitely coming at some point, so that might be the easiest way.
  • Actually, I think that it's the ability to create sub-patches that really gives Audulus it's power and makes it different than most soft synths. When I grab a seven saws oscillator, I don't have to think about all the complexity inside. It's what really makes it possible to share our work with the rest of the community in a way that encourages other to build on what's gone before. Can you imagine what the curvature synth would look like without any sub-patches :).
  • One thing that would be cool if it could be done would be an 8 or 16 channel to mono and vice versa. I used the quad to mono as a wiring condenser for the chain-able sequencer, but I really could have used more channels. Either that or make the quad stackable i.e. four quads into one quad connected to one quad to four quads for 16 channels
  • I think in the future, mux and poly nodes will have an arbitrary number of inputs. Although that will likely be Audulus 4.