Röyksopp Vision One bass
  • I’m new to Audulus and modular synthesis in general, but am thoroughly enjoying the learning process. I can’t imagine a better way to learn this stuff than Audulus.

I’m trying to set goals to help focus my learning, and one of those goals is to understand Röyksopp’s Vision One bass “from first principles”.
    https://soundcloud.com/royksopp/vision-one

It’s most clearly heard at 0:43, and 1:45. Be sure to listen to what happens at 1:45 in particular, it’s no ordinary effect.

While it would be great to recreate it, even more important to me is to understand it, preferably in terms of Audulus implementation.

Here’s one guy’s attempt to break it down. It’s quite helpful and in my opinion he gets about half of the way there with the tone, but without the extreme moving dynamism that’s especially evident at 1:45 on the original track.
    https://youtu.be/vHPKfPir310

If anyone has any ideas for a starting point on how to break this down, I’d be very grateful. Also, if there are any aspects you feel aren’t well-suited for Audulus, that would be good to know too. Thanks!
  • Here is my take. let me know what you think.
    Röyksopp Bass.audulus
  • Thanks Robert, that’s super helpful! One of the key insights this gave me is mixing two different modulation sources as input to a single filter. I love the way the overlaid waveform graphs clearly demonstrate what’s going on there.

It’s also cool how playing with the PW on the sequencer allows you to go from totally separate pulses all the way to a fully blended together waveform, similar to the popping zipper effect at 1:45.

And I love how thoroughly documented all the modules are. I feel like I’m just scratching the surface of what’s going on still, but I have full confidence that with what you’ve put together I can figure it out. This is awesome. Thank you so much!
  • Wow that bass is RIDIC. It sounds like it was left on a hot sidewalk after being fried on a bed of tubes. I love that this track is basically 100% made by this synth sound. Really shows you the power of having a unique synth sound.

I used to listen to Royskopp a lot in high school, gotta get back into them evidently!

The movement sounds like a phaser to me, and the people I'm seeing in threads seem right that it's a digital distortion (has an aliasing edge to it) and an MS-20 or 303-style diode filter. I see from the patch above that Robert fed the sound through a diode clipper, which makes sense. It's pretty close in that patch! Dunno if I have anything specific to add other than maybe a phaser before the filter, that's pretty much what I would've done :)
  • http://forum.audulus.com/discussion/840#Item_7 Audulus has some pretty good user created phasers. @Sansnom all pass filter based phaser slips right into the patch quite well :)
  • Thanks for the tip. I’ve got that smooth phaser hooked in now and am playing with it. Wish it were documented like yours, but based on the thread, phasers seem like a bit of a black art.
  • Lol, that sounds about right. I confess ignorance of how the biquad filter works. I mostly look up, copy and then paste.