Bimini Road's Eurorack
  • Building up my rig again - just got a replacement ES-8 and got to try out some new modules.

Public service announcement: If you do not have tubes in your rack, you should!

Just got a new Erica Synths​ Fusion Tube Mixer v3, a Rossum Electro-Music​ Evolution Ladder VCF, and an Expert Sleepers​ ES-8. LOVING THEM. There's so much distortion, bubbliness, random tone variations and organic warmth all around. Cannot get enough.

https://soundcloud.com/biminiroadmusic/91819-touched-in-the-head

(Some FB notification noises made their way into the recording - whoops!)

In the song above, I'm testing it out by using Audulus​ to send sequenced Sine/Tri/Saw/Square oscillators into each of the mixer's inputs. The mixer is in a feedback configuration that allows channel A and B to feed into one another. The inverted output of channel A is used to FM the Evolution VCF. This can be attenuverted to get different FM tones. Audulus is sending the envelope to the filter through the ES-8. The drums are synthesized and sequenced in Audulus.

Once it comes in the mail from Analogue Haven​ I'll be using a Doepfer uPVCO as the oscillator and an STG Soundlabs​ .mix CP3 clone to further shape the waves.

Anyone else out here have any of these modules? If so, aren't you loving them? I think feedback is one of my favorite things about modular synths - particularly analog ones. I love Audulus, of course, but these tube tones are just so computationally hard (if not impossible) to accurately reproduce. The ladder filter is just insane with all its controls too - if you love ladders and don't have this one, you really should give it a go.

Big thanks to Os at Expert Sleepers for digging up a spare ES-8 for me. Also shoutout to Zachariah Littwin Pescetto​ for the smooth trade for his Evolution and Alex Maiolo​ for the Pittsburgh Modular Synthesizers​ Cell48 case.

Here's a video of it in action:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZM3JB-A07I/?taken-by=audulus
    IMG_9800.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 3M
    IMG_9806.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
    IMG_9801.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 3M
    IMG_9802.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 1M
    IMG_9804.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
  • I like tubes too! That's why I usually send my synth out through a guitar amp :)

That's a pretty sweet little rig you have set up. I think I may have mentioned that the Evolution filter is an updated version of the Emu Modular filter that I played used when learning synthesis in college. I am pretty broke right now as I have been working forever on a big corporate illustration set and haven't been able to invoice them yet. When that happens I think I will splash out on another small case which definitely will have room for the rossum electro evolution in it.
  • @RobertSyrett - thanks! And yeah you did - I'm super impressed with it. I don't know any other ladder filter that has such variety of tone as well as just sweetness in basically all settings. Even the screamy resonance sounds better (maybe because of the Q compensation - we need to figure out how to add that to the @Sansnom z-1 Moog filter!).

As for using Audulus oscillators into the tube - it made me smile when I realized the Erica Synths Tube VCO is actually a digital oscillator with tube sub oscillators - an effect you can actually reproduce with this mixer in the right settings! >:)
  • GO mixer made a world of difference)
  • @Fedor - YEAH! Check this - added a pad/chord thing: https://www.instagram.com/p/BZRybVZgQx4/?taken-by=audulus

This patch starts in Audulus - there are sequencers and quantizers playing two different instruments. One is a 3x saw pad/chord thing, and another is a bass with 3 waveforms - triangle, square, and saw.

The pad oscillator mix is sent out through the Expert Sleepers ES-8 along with an envelope to the Doepfer SEM filter.

The bass is sent out each oscillator individually to the STG Soundlabs .mix CP3 clone. This mixer is really unique and allows you to get a really fat, varied sound out of your oscillators by clipping them in different ways.

The bass is then sent into the Erica Synths Fusion Tube Mixer. The mixer is set up so that it has a cascaded gain stage, meaning the bass goes through both sides of the tube. There's a feedback path from the B side back to the A. When dialed in just right, you can create a square suboscillator that tracks automatically with the input oscillator.

The bass is then sent to the Rossum Electro-Music Evolution ladder filter, which I have to say, is my new favorite. So versatile! The inverted A stage of the Erica Synths mixer is also sent to the attenuverter for the filter cutoff, allowing some nasty FM tones.

Everything comes back into Audulus, and mixed in with a synthesized 909 kick and 909 hat track. The pad gets some analog-modeling delay and a nice reverb. Everything then goes back out the ES-8 and into the Roland GO:MIXER!

Patch attached below
    ACID.audulus
    1M
  • Yeow, that SEM filter going through delay is absolutely spine tingling. Is that a new synthrotek case, BTW?
  • @RobertSyrett - thanks! It's Pulp Logic actually :) The LBZ54. I have a spring reverb coming in the mail for it too! I'm thinking of running the oscillators through is pre-filter to get some crazy washy feedbacky sounds. We'll see if it's worth it. Otherwise I might just use it as a send/return for the snare.
  • Pretty sweet!
  • I like how much you're getting out of so minimalistic (by eurorack standards) system plus Ipad with Audulus, very, very cool hybrid.

How much is your eurorack side of things money-wise, if you don't mind me asking?
  • @Fedor - the ES-8 and the .mix were comp'd, but all together it would be about $2.5k, including the Doepfer oscillator that's coming in the mail.
  • 2.5 k? Does that include the iPad?
  • @RobertSyrett - no, that would add another $800