Ornament and Crime Variable Note Quantizer
  • I partially modeled the note quantizer from the O&C module. The original has 99 predefined scales, but I thought that would be a bit much so I only copied the first 24. Since the note values are defined within the module as constants, you can easily edit or replace the scales. All but the last five are based on a well tempered 12 note octave, but could be redefined as different intonations such as just intonation. The last five are non-traditional octaval scales. 0 is the root note of the scale and it is assumed to be 1 per octave. The internal note values are based on the O&C documentation which uses a 0 to 1536 scale for the octave. This can be changed on a scale by scale basis. I chose not to model the tritaval scales, although it would it would be a fairly simple mod. A mask toggle is provided for each note in the scale. I've posted the quantizer as well as a demo using the O&C Copier Maschine and a Turing module.
    Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 8.14.02 PM.png
    1824 x 924 - 209K
    Copier Maschine Lite V2.audulus
    1M
    Scales.audulus
  • Yes,nice,with a menu too! I look forward to v4 for windows to see the graphics on all these machines so I can study them more.
  • I haven't worked out what the copier machine does yet because I can't see the graphics but I went in with the quad node and altered it. I have no idea what I've done but it seemed right. I hope I haven't messed up the graphics on the front panel.
    Copier Maschine Lite V2-2 circuit bent(2).audulus
    5M
  • I need to do a better job of labeling until the Windows version supports SVG. The upper knob is the buffer length when frozen and the lower knob is the index value.Current value is to the right of the knob. Inputs on the left are freeze, index mode, clock and 1per octave (o) in. The two toggles are freeze and index mode. They are overridden by the inputs if used. Outputs on the right are "o" 1 through 4 from the ASR. The user manual for O&C describes the operation pretty well.
    I'm not sure exactly what your intent was with the quad nodes. It sounds good but you are now running four separate ASR units each with one demux instead of one ASR feeding four demux. It does give you four different buffer lengths when frozen, which produces some interesting chord patterns. I'm not sure what impact the mono to quad node from the index logic has. I never tried stacking quad nodes in that way.
    It appears that the Windows version strips the SVG information out of the file. There were no graphics in any of the modules.
  • Ok thanks, will look at the manual and check it out.

Edit: it's totally different from what I thought - I'll refrain from posting after an exhausting creative patch involving sleep deprivation. Will have to take some time to get used to this concept...
  • Ahh sick. Nice work Mr. stschoen! Pretty soon, you'll be done modelling the whole module!!
  • I decided to add a knob to select the root note of the scale as well as a knob to transpose the output. The labels on the root note assume that A = 0 and both assume 1 per octave.
    Scales.audulus
    Screen Shot 2017-09-16 at 12.31.06 PM.png
    1800 x 768 - 219K
  • Thanks! I thought the last five scales were particularly interesting. I haven't played around with non-traditional scales very much. The list in the O&C docs is a bit overwhelming. I never realized there were so many different scales. I was interested in building a quantizer that could be easily programmed for different tunings and this one seemed to fit the bill. I still need to calculate a just intonated scale and program it into the quantizer. The original allowed sixteen different notes in a scale while mine is limited to fifteen. I chose to use one of the slots in a16 channel demux to hold the octave value so that each scale could potentially be in different units (e.g. 0 -1200 cents). It would be relatively easy to add the sixteenth note value back in if anyone had a use for it. It's a little more CPU intensive than I would like, hopefully the forthcoming expression node optimization will reduce this considerably.
  • Just intonation would be pretty epic, but honestly this is a great little bag of scales that can be the starting point for many happy patches.
  • It turns out that just intonation is a much more complex subject than I realized. I started doing some research yesterday and discovered that it's really more of an approach to creating scales rather than a specific scale. There are many different justly tempered scales, each of which has it's advantages and disadvantages. I chose what I believe are the most common justly tempered scales as well as another common scale and replaced 4 of the scales in the quantizer. The scales are two five-limit symmetric variants and one five-limit asymmetric variant. I also added the quarter comma meantone scale which was popular in the 16th and 17th centuries but is not strictly speaking a just scale. The scales are entered in cents, so the octave value is 1200. The note values are from the just temperament article in Wikipedia. The Pythagorean scale already loaded in the module is also a just scale. I also made a minor change to the quantizer UI
    Screen Shot 2017-09-17 at 11.34.57 AM.png
    1459 x 551 - 180K
    Scales.audulus
    Copier Maschine Lite V2.audulus
    1M
  • Nice work!

Here's an article on pythagorean tuning that I've found to be very useful:
    http://www.medieval.org/emfaq/harmony/pyth5.html

I also came across this very nice just intonation toolkit in my bookmarks:
    http://tommudd.co.uk/justintonation/
  • Wow...just simply wow!exactly what I need....thank you!
  • get ahold of Terry Riley's "Harp of New Albion" - fantastic super-tuned piano!
  • @Rudiger, Thanks for the links. The pythagorean tuning in the module uses the values from the O&C module docs.
  • this is awesome stschoen, what ive been waiting for
  • we should all keep adding tunings for this patch so it can eventually be pretty flexible w microtonal scales.. just realized we were limited to 15 notes, theres still quite a few tunings available within 15 notes tho
  • If you think you could use more than 15 notes, it would be fairly simple to expand the module. I originally designed it for 16 notes, but realized that if I used one slot for the octave value it would allow me to use different values for the octave. Some of the scales are defined in cents and some using the 0-1536 values from the O&C docs. I had already considered adding back the sixteenth note, but hadn't run into a need for it as yet.. All that would be necessary would be to add a few more inputs to the mask and quantizer logic. How many notes would you find useful? I designed this with modification in mind, so replacing one or more scales is pretty straightforward. There are twenty-four scales primarily because I had already constructed a 24 channel mux, and I didn't want the UI to get too out of hand.
  • THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS! I've been wanting to do this for a long long time but never got around to it. REALLY appreciate it, especially since I don't know too much about music theory. Thank you!
  • I'm finding out just how much I don't know as well. Audulus has been a great tool for exploring areas of music that I haven't had much experience with. It's difficult to experiment with alternative tunings on most conventional instruments. With Audulus, not only can you hear the sounds, you can get some insight into the mathematics behind the various scales. The various modal scales (Ionian, Dorian etc are also interesting to listen to. The O&C unit has some interesting apps. Loved the Copier Maschine. I'm working on a neo-Riemannian chord generator modeled after the one in the O&C, should have it working soon.
  • I've seen as many as 313 tone microtonal scales, pretty extreme.. One of my fav microtonal scales is 53 ET.. I think a good medium ground for this quantizer that would allow a lot of flexibility for now would be 33 notes/tones within the quantizer. That would be pretty flexible, but I know it may require a lot of work. If you dont want the UI to get out of hand, maybe make another quantizer version for microtonal scales? Or just keep it the way it is but only add a handful more microtonal scales for now.. for example 17 ET, 21 ET, 24 TET, 29 ET, 33 ET.
  • With that many tones it might be simpler to build a dedicated single-scale quantizer that you could plug in the values you wanted. 36 notes shouldn't be too difficult. I'll give it some thought.
  • awesome, i like that idea!