Beginner here, got a few questions... Overwhelmed.. :(
  • Hello everyone! Got Audulus yesterday and have been enjoying it. Although I have to admit, getting a bit frustrated even just coming up with a basic patch going. tuts and vids are a big help though. got a few questions.

1. I'm on ver 3.4.2 but I'm not seeing the organ, crossfade, and 'oscillator' and a bunch of other modules. I'm using the ios version.
    2. I'm confused with the basic osc and the saw osc. the basic osc doesn't have any shape and just has a hz knob. No sound is coming out of it even if i hook it up to a seq or midi in. I'm not close to my ipad now so I can't really give a more detailed explanation.

Been dabbling with synths for a couple of years now but I'm new to modular. Been learning on reaktor blocks but it seems I'm getting confused with audulus and some aspects of it's signal path and modules.

• I'm not sure which "organ" module you are referring to, but the basic oscillator node and crossfade node will be available on the first page of nodes (basic building blocks with their own icons built into the program) after tapping the screen and selecting "Create". Oscillator should simply show as "osc" with an icon of a basic sine wave.

When scrolling down, the selections shown following the nodes will then be modules that have been created using basic nodes, etc. These will show a screenshot of the basic patch that makes up the module.

The oscillator node when created will need at least a value going to the Hz (somewhere in the audible range for humans to hear it out of your speakers) as well as a value going to the amplitude (between 0 and 1). The oscillator node would then need to be connected to an output node or speaker node to make sound to the ipad speakers.

The best thing to do will be to start digging into more of the tutorial youtube videos to keeping letting the language of Audulus seep in. Good luck!
  • Thanks for the reply! I actually saw the organ osc in the modules ref http://docs.audulus.com/modules/. I'll check out more vids!!
  • Gotcha. So nodes are the basic building blocks which can be built into modules like the organ and some of the more complex clocks you are seeing. In the iOs version, if you create a module and then tap on it to select "Open" it will show you the insides of the module which will be a series of different nodes, other modules, or both. If it is a basic node, you will not be able to open it up any further as it is in the basic programming of the visual Audulus language. Nodes can be made into saved modules which can be made into patches which can be shared with the Audulus community here. Nodes -> Modules -> Patches.
  • By the end of the weekend, I'll have that beginning section updated on the website and have this as printable PDF with pictures!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YBZgWX82pFC6eRuQ4jFRRjPWgaeQC6fQaLtT2MUGlHc/edit?usp=sharing

This should explain a lot of the beginning lessons.
  • Thanks a lot!, been reading docs.audulus and it helped a lot. I'll view the link later. Can't view it here at work..
  • Got a question. I'm not seeing the basic modules (vco, filter) that are on the docs in the main audulus website. I'm on 3.4.2 and some of the modules look different. Am I missing anything?
  • Hey guys

Im new to Audulus and absolutley love it. I have a question and i thought it fits best here. Iam using Auduls 3 on iOS and wondered if there is some way of adding a detune and fine knob to control the oscillators tuning. I noticed from the list of modules that the VCO has exactly what i need however there is no VCO on Audulus 3 iOS. Could anyone help possibly ?

Thanks
  • @kHzkHz You would detune a second oscillator with other nodes to modify the input to the oscillator. I have attached a patch you can open in Audulus that show how I go about this.
    detune patch.audulus
  • You can use adsr envelopes.

Multiply Gate and Hz together, feed that into an adsr, and then the output of the adsr goes into the Osc Hz input.

I set this one up so the Decay tunes the pitch down over time.
    Hold Seq v008i detune down.audulus
  • pitch fine tune knob:

Attach to Osc Hz input.
    46B1EB1E-5D91-4FAA-A790-CF42968A426B.png
    2732 x 2048 - 373K
    pitch fine tune v003.audulus
  • Heyo everyone!

I'm new to synthesis in general, and Audulus especially, and this seems like the best discussion to simultaneously say hello and ask for help.

After checking out the in-app tutorials I decided that baby's first patch should be an LFO, to start wrapping my head around Audulus's way of thinking and interface. It's been great so far (big ups to @biminiroad's documentation!) but I've hit a roadblock.

I've tried making a "random" function, but for the life of me I can't get it to work. It *seemed* to be working for a moment, but then stopped entirely, and I can't be sure if it's something I've done or a problem with the iOS version of the app.

I've attached the full patch if you want to look at it, but there's also a stripped-down version without all the other functionality. I really can't parse why it's not outputting like I'd expect. If you all have any tips or suggestions, I'd love to see them.

Despite this little setback, I'm loving Audulus so far. Working with it has been fun as hell. Looking forward to diving deeper, learning more, and seeing what I can create with it. The community seems great, too, and thanks to everyone whose patches and math (especially the math. Oh god) I've already snagged!

Anyway, this post is long enough. Thanks in advance!
    Pick Your Own LFO.audulus
    IMG_0009.png
    2048 x 1536 - 122K
  • Hi @ivicaf and welcome to the forum. Glad to have you onboard. I think your primary issue with the random node and sample and hold (selection 6) is that the phasor node ramps up from 0 to 1. The expression you have following the phasor never goes to zero or negative, but the sample and hold is only triggered when the value on the trigger input goes from 0 (or negative) to positive. When you open the patch the S&H will trigger, but not again.
  • What @stschoen said, except the phasor actually ramps from 0 to 2*pi. I have attached a patch to show what he was talking about.
    Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 11.44.26 AM.png
    568 x 193 - 27K
    Pick Your Own LFO - Revised.audulus
  • Of course you're right. I'd claim it was a typo but I think it was actually senior brain kicking in :)
  • Thanks! That clarifies the issue, and the patch fix is perfect. :D
  • Hey @ivicaf welcome to the forum! Glad you got this sorted. You might want to take a look inside these two LFOs as well - they have some neat tricks in them :) Let us know if you need any more help!
    Skew Triangle LFO.audulus
    Phase Shift Saw LFO.audulus
    Waveshape LFO.audulus