Pink Noise / White Noise
  • Can some tell/help me creating a Pink/White noise generator?
    mainly i seek help for the pink noise, because i have no clue how to build that one :(
    + i want to find out how to circle noise to create a metallic sound with it... not in that way like Tim Webb (youtube) did it with delays which changes the sound over time.. it should stay in a small circle to have the same sound always when activated
  • Yeah seconded on this! you need almost a "tilt" filter that will bend the entire spectrum around a fulcrum, rather than having a cutoff point with a dB/oct.
  • Pink noise is a variant of white noise. Pink noise is white noise that has been filtered to reduce the volume at each octave. This is done to compensate for the increase in the number of frequencies per octave. Each octave is reduced by 6 decibels, resulting in a noise sound wave that has equal energy at every octave.
  • I googled "biquad pinking filter" and wound up in the MAX/MSP forum.
    https://cycling74.com/forums/filtering-whitenoise-into-other-noise-colors
    There someone named COMFORTABLEINCLOUDS posted, in 2009, the coefficients for the biquad filter that turns white into pink noise, citing the source as www.musicdsp.org

I plugged in the coefficients into the biquad node in Audulus and low and behold it worked :)

So I wouldn't say I'm closer to greater understanding of the biquad filter, but you can now emulate the sound of waterfalls and TV static more easily.

edit 8/23/17 8pm corrected error in the patch.
    Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 9.49.29 AM.png
    702 x 525 - 38K
    Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 9.52.30 AM.png
    962 x 779 - 128K
    PINK AND WHITE NOISE.audulus
  • damn :D i was on that page and i didnt see it... thanks @RobertSyrett
  • Thanks Robert! Already put it in my new oscillator. Y'all are gonna flip when you see this unique waveshaping function I came up with - this noise coloring adds a lot especially to the supersaw section.
  • Thanks! Nice piece of research Robert. I'm looking forward to seeing your latest @biminiroad.
  • Derp! As you can see from the screencap, I patched the white noise output from the wrong point in the signal path resulting in unipolar white noise. The patch has been corrected and gain has been applied to the pink noise so that it matches the level of the white noise more closely, although it is still somewhat softer.