Seaside SFX
  • I am looking to create a convincing seaside/baylands type of soundscape. Attached is what I am working with, but would love feedback/help where organic wave sounds and animal sounds are concerned.

ocean sounds.audulus
    1M
    IMG_0802.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • great project :)
  • This is awesome! I think to make the waves a little smeary-ier, you could add a short reverb, but the seagull sound is amazing!
  • @Phal_anx Thanks :D
    @biminiroad There is already some delay on it, but I will add in some fairly serious reverb. I might have the chance to bring this out to the modular later today in which case I will add some spring reverb.
  • @RobertSyrett The marsh sounds are impressive.
    How about putting some kind of envelope/curve on the filter for the wave sounds?

I started a little wave patch quite some time back but never really got round to developing it into anything. At the time I had the idea that I might use it as something to help my daughter fall asleep.

Very basic and in need of work but here it is (as @biminiroad suggests I think some reverb/delay would be the next step here too):
    R-Slow-Shore.audulus
  • I think the other thing is the waves are a touch too fast - maybe 1/2 to 3/4 as fast would sound more realistic.
  • Howdy!

Drive a flanger-set delay with a sawtooth wave such that the "tail" of the sweep more or less coincides with the end of the wave - you're looking for a sound like a distant, breathy "ahhhhhhh..." when the wave is mostly down to bubbles and hissing ...

cool project - cheers!
  • @DS_in_the_ATX That sounds interesting! Do you have a patch example?
  • @RobertSyrett - my apologies for the delay (no pun intended!) - I don't have such a thing but I reckon I'll have to give it a try for you now that I've shot my mouth off! we're looking for a flange that only goes "up" (frequency-wise) so maybe a "Shepard Tone" generator would make a good starting point too - hmmmmmmmmmm ... IF I knuckle down to cobbling one up I'll post here - thanks for the challenge!
    All the best ..!
  • No worries, I've been busy with an illustration gig, so I haven't had a chance to work much on this project either. Looking forward to seeing anything you patch up :)