Know Your Nodes pt 1 - Building a Basic Oscillator in Audulus
  • Here's a thing I'm trying out. I'm making a series of videos that explore building modules from basic nodes. I think it's a fun exercise and a good way to share my building habits.

https://youtu.be/zzuk01YDq_A
    basic oscillator.audulus
  • Well done! You were clear and didn't go too fast. You might want to explain the double-click shortcut for creating an expression node. I don't know if there is an equivalent on the iPad. Also you might want to mention aliasing as a potential downside of some phaser based oscillators. Overall I think you did a very good job.
  • TY! I am making these more contextual where I bring things up as they arise rather than being comprehensive. So I'll probably bring up aliasing when I have some sounds to demonstrate them with. I will be sure to explain the fast expression technique more fully in the next video.
  • @RobertSyrett Nice! Even though it's all quite familiar by now I didn't know about the fract phase shifting technique, for example, which is nice to know. I guess the tricky thing with tutorials is judging just how much you can assume the viewer knows, and the balance of how much to spell out and when. The references to pi for example could perhaps use a little fleshing out…

Looking forward to the next in the series!
  • @rudiger Thanks for the feedback! I don't think one video can really ever be perfect, but as time passes I'm coming to the conclusion that jumping in is probably the best approach for me. If I continue, hopefully everything will get covered eventually and I think Mark is working on more comprehensive tutorials so I can be a bit more free. I'm trying to put the emphasis on having fun, sharing techniques, and using the basic building blocks of Audulus.