Nodes Tutorials Preview
  • These are some tutorial patches I'm working on for individual nodes. Take a look and give me some feedback if you have some time! Thanks :P
    Nodes 1.zip
  • These are really nice! Clear and explanatory with accurate use cases. I humbly suggest that you title the series "know your nodes."
  • The approach of using the nodes within the context of patches is great. I have not gone through all of them but the ones so far are very well done. The only suggestion I’d make would be to add a summary inside each module used in the tutorial patches including what the inputs and outputs are.

I think it’s great that you’re explaining the significance of the number ranges, why the placement of nodes or modules in a particular order can have a big effect on the sound and the efficiency of the patch.

When you’re through documenting all of the nodes, a short video describing how these node tutorials work would be helpful to people new to Audulus or those who haven’t dug in very deeply.

Orientation videos which walk through how to do basic things like adding nodes, modules, creating a sub patch, sizing to fit, zooming in/out to use controls, group, copy, undo, editing a UI, looking at % of cpu used by parts of a patch, and a lights tutorial.
  • In the Patch node tutorial, I’d go into more detail about how to set controls so you can distinguish which nodes are which while editing the UI.
  • @paulinko

"The only suggestion I’d make would be to add a summary inside each module used in the tutorial patches including what the inputs and outputs are."

Good suggestion - this is eventually going to happen with all modules where they will be documented node by node. Right now, they just have a little description that's been written about them for the docs and pasted in. Eventually everything will be explained in great detail. But since right now for these tutorials they're meant to highlight what the node is doing, it's a little less important for the purposes of the tutorial that everything be explained in great detail.

"When you’re through documenting all of the nodes, a short video describing how these node tutorials work would be helpful to people new to Audulus or those who haven’t dug in very deeply. "

I'm already planning on it! Once I have these tutorials done, I'm going to sit down in a Livestream and go through them one by one with everyone :) Although the tutorials are subject to change, and there will probably be more addendums to add on later, the video will give another chance for people, especially those who don't already have Audulus, to see the nodes in action.

"In the Patch node tutorial, I’d go into more detail about how to set controls so you can distinguish which nodes are which while editing the UI."

This is a really good point and something I'll go back into and add, thanks!