Operator Block
  • Taking the opposite approach to before where I focused on the algorithms, here is a block of phase modulation operators with a routing matrix. I have omitted a separate feedback parameter for lighten the CPU load and for front panel simplicity. Design your own algorithms and envelopes to create basic 1980's FM sounds or switch the operators into "strong" mode with the "2π" button, giving you beefier modulation that's great for SFX.

Moderately CPU intensive.

Edit: Added a demo.
    Operator Block V1.audulus
    Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 1.55.50 PM.png
    1110 x 691 - 191K
    OP BLK demo 1.audulus
  • Neat idea. I’m still working through the videos you posted and thinking about a revised single operator module closer to the DX7
  • @stschoen What I would love some help with is figuring out what they were doing with the keyboard scaling. Because that is not clear at all, but seems to be a key part of designing some complex sounds on the DX7.
  • Haven’t gotten to that part yet. I’ve been playing around with Dexed. I’ll be interested to see how that works myself.
  • @stschoen, You might also check out the KQ Dixie app for iPad. It has pretty much the same layout and ability to open old DX7 presets, but works on iOs. It's like $4.
  • @RobertSyrett Nice idea! A handy little playground.
  • Indeed! Every sine wave is a fractal gateway to all sounds.