FSK Oscillator with Ring Modulation
  • I was reading some info on ring modulation and thought it might be interesting to add some to the FSK oscillator I made the other day. I already had two oscillators, so I added a ring modulation output for oscillator A and the fsk signal, oscillator A and B, and oscillator B and the fsk signal. I also added a switching input to the internal/external toggle for the fsk source and the A-B link toggle.
    Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 9.46.03 AM.png
    2664 x 2058 - 864K
    uFSK Oscillator V2.2 demo.audulus
  • Here's another one where the two oscillators are driven separately. Kind of dissonant.
    uFSK Oscillator V2.2 demo II.audulus
  • Last one I promise. This one's a bit of a hog
    uFSK Oscillator V2.2 demo III.audulus
  • Very dreamlike demo 2.2 the uDing give a nice counterpoint to the melody.
  • I was trying to show off the range of sounds possible with the oscillator, but I've grown very fond of the uDing. It sometimes amazes me how much change a small tweak of a knob can make. It's hard to resist updating a demo every few minutes when you try something else. This last one takes a while to evolve.
  • Only getting to take a look at this FSK thing now. Interesting idea and nice with the added Ring Mod. Makes possible it possible to create some very beautiful, complex sounds with a somewhat simple interface (at least once one understands the concept).
  • The original post came from FSK1138 He referenced a eurorack module XR22 VCO FT
    info :
    I was curious and had a look. I'm not sure how applicable the term FSK actually is in this case. Frequency shift keying is a method of digital data transmission by frequency modulation of a carrier to represent ones and zeros. Here we are switching between two different oscillators using a third signal. Typically the modulator is some sort of square signal but I extended the concept to allow for any type of 0-1 modulator. The modulator varies the mix between oscillator A and B. I suppose it's really a sort of frequency modulation. Depending on the oscillator waveforms, their relative frequency and the waveform and frequency of the modulator you can generate some very harmonically rich outputs. I've had a lot of fun playing around with this, definitely one for the toolbag.