Custom C++ objects
  • Hello eveyone,
    I am really liking the Audulus project, especially for the ease of use of DSP chains on iPads. I was wondering if there was an API to code custom Audulus objects. I read somewhere that the backend for Audulus is C++ and OpenGL, and I would want to implement custom filter algorithms in my patches and, more generally, custom DSP objects. However, I couldn't find any informations about this. Do you guys know something about this? Is it something in the making?
    Thanks a lot
  • I've talked to Taylor about this and he says it's a little difficult to implement because of Apple's restrictions on how code can run on iOS. However, he's always open to hearing ideas for new nodes, and if you have open source code to share with him, you could email us at with links to your github! :)

Also, as far as filters go, you can likely recreate them using the nodes that are already available in Audulus. If you need help, start a topic about it and link to the code that you have and we can try to suss out how to go about recreating it in Audulus.
  • What about the Mac version? Would it maybe be possible to compile custom objects there?
  • @tumpun - No unfortunately because the idea is that patches have to be shareable across all platforms and we don’t want to let the feature sets diverge between them. Sorry! We are adding the whole c sound library to Audulus 4, and if you have any great ideas for open source nodes, you can send them in like I mentioned :)
  • In addition to the problem of cross-platform portability, the macOS app, because it sold through the App Store, has many of the same restrictions that the iOS app faces. Although macOS itself is not as restrictive as iOS, apps sold through the App Store require Apple approval, which becomes considerably more difficult, if not impossible, with an open API. By allowing arbitrary code to execute, an API opens up a significant opportunity to introduce malicious code into a program which Apple has certified to be "safe" so they generally are not very receptive. You could use the existing I/O in Audulus to loop audio through an external filter. Eventually Audulus may be able to act as an AU V3 host which would be the ideal interface to external code. Of course AUs for iOS would have to be signed and approved by Apple.