Amen Break Trigger Generator
  • Thinking of making a trigger generator that recreates the Amen Break with all its groove and subtlety, but with some extra controls to roll the snare, do different variations, etc - any thoughts on how to do this and what would make for useful add-on features?
  • The key to making it happen seems like it might be a spline mode with output sent to x>0 expression to get the timing right, with maybe a phasor driving it and output a master clock that’s derivative of the time the phasor (so you can still trigger other things and make it stay in sync without worrying about drift from a zero cross analyzing an incoming clock).
  • From what I'm reading the break is four bars of 4/4 and you would need to be able to subdivide to at least a 1/16th to get the double kick. That would be 64 steps. This is what I found for the basic pattern
    C |----------------|----------------|----------------|----------X-----|
    R |x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-|x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-|x-x-x-x-x-X-x-x-|x-x-x-x-x---x-x-|
    S |----o--o-o--o--o|----o--o-o--o--o|----o--o-o----o-|-o--o--o-o----o-|
    B |o-o-------oo----|o-o-------oo----|o-o-------o-----|--oo------o-----|
    |1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + |1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + |1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + |1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + |
    Some kind of sequencer with a gate and level out for each track would give you dynamics control. For variations you could use a mux to select different sub sequences.
    Amen_break_notation.png
    2145 x 560 - 73K
  • Once upon a time I made a 64-step sequencer. Although it might be better to start from scratch.
    seq 64.audulus
  • I think I got this close :) The drums themselves could use some work particularly the crash cymbal and it has no dynamics at this point. You could use the output levels from the sequencers to adjust dynamics. I think the rhythm is roughly right. This barely runs on my iPad Air 2 (maybe the sequencers need some weight reduction!)
    64CC5BD3-9E31-47F6-A9DE-584C8FC98211.jpeg
    2048 x 1536 - 316K
    Amen Break.audulus
    1M
  • That crash cymbal is hilarious
  • Best I could find on short notice. It does sound pretty lame. Good cymbals are hard to emulate because of all the non-harmonic resonances and complex dynamics. I’m using a hi hat for the ride. The snare’s pretty good. I’ve got a 909 kick emulation that I thought I might try.
  • The spline node driving a comparator would be an interesting way to get some subtle variation in the timing. I count 16 kick notes, 19 snare, 31 ride cymbal and 1 splash. A phasor would be a good way to drive it and could easily be subdivided to provide a clock. Might be a bit tough to fit that many points into a spline and get any kind of accuracy. Maybe you could chain together 4 splines (one for each measure).
  • @biminiroad, here's a 4 section spline gate generator to play with. This is one loooong module! One per instrument ought to do the trick. Neat idea! You should be able to get some very fine timing variations. If each section is one bar, minor gridlines are a 16th. Enjoy.
    Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 8.08.53 PM.png
    2452 x 1010 - 204K
    long spline.audulus
  • MEGA SPLINE! That is pretty awesome.
  • I don't think I'd want to program it on an iPad :). It's an intriguing idea. You can generate a repeatable set of triggers that aren't locked into a specific clock.
  • Here's one with a 1/16th clock out as well
    long spline.audulus
  • I set up a saw driven amen generator, not fulfilling the precision requirements but the modulaters are set up, 1 modulating every 1/8 beat, one modulating every 1/16 beat and a 3rd modulating between the 2, , I put it with a lucy scale builder on this thread: http://forum.audulus.com/discussion/15618/lucy-tuning#Item_1 There's an Amen generator app which if I remember rightly, does something similar with the modulation.
  • The modulation is better when the 3rd modulator, modulating between A & B, is modulating in 1/8ths, since modulation B is already taking care of 16ths. It just needs to be fed the 1/8saw on the top input.

Had to say... the beats seem better, more usable.