Synthesizers.com LFO++
  • Hello!

I've been using this fine program for about a week now (on iPad), and have finished up my first project: a clone of one of my most used modules, the Synthesizers.com LFO++. Its MU/5U format (the first I've seen on here), and in that land is actually one of the more complex modules - the format is known for catering to classic single-function designs...but not this one!

The LFO++ is an LFO/audio oscillator with a built in sustain>decay envelope that controls both the amplitude and speed of the LFO. The gate input triggers the envelope, and doubles as a sync input - reseting the waveform. With the gate switch set to on, the envelope will sustain as long as the gate is high. When off, the sustain time is set with the sus time knob.

The amp and spd knobs control the amount (+/-) of effect the envelope has on the LFO. The amplitude knob at the bottom sets the initial level.

The shape knob adjusts the pulse width for the square wave, and makes the triangle and saw waves more round or pointy, with normal in the center position.

Along with speed and volume shifting LFOs, the module is also handy for quickly routing a mod wheel to control LFO amount - just modulate the amplitude knob.

As an audio oscillator, it also works as a self-contained voice.

More info at https://www.synthesizers.com/q167.html

I hope you find it useful, and I look forward to talking with you folks and digging deeper into this stuff!

LFO++.audulus
    LFO++ screen.PNG
    2224 x 1668 - 501K
    LFO++ controls.jpg
    1000 x 1357 - 265K
  • This is a really great oscillator, and a really awesome module for a first go! You really know your way around Audulus already :)

I'm uploading a version of this patch that has some notes on the inside for potential changes - feel free to take or leave them, but what they ultimately do is make your module play more friendly with others. The main one is that LFOs in audulus generally range between 0-1 instead of -1 to 1 because all of the knobs in the module library are ranged 0-1, and attaching an LFO directly to them is easy that way (instead of having to translate them for each module).

Looking forward to you bringing the whole Synthesizers.com 5u to Audulus! ;)
    LFO++ with Bimini Road Notes.audulus
  • Thanks! The "1" position on the polarity switch actually sets the output to be 0-1.

What if you were adding vibrato to another oscillator's pitch, which you'd normally want to fluctuate above and below the base pitch? For that case you'd want a bi-polar wave (the other +/- switch positions) - at least that's how it would affect the 1/oct input on this module. But for modulating other knobs, yeah you'd want a 0-1.

• Also for whatever reason, I could not get the keyboard node + the hz2o module to work with any module I tried that had a 1/o input. It would always freeze the program, or cause everything to stop working until restarting.
  • Ah I'm sorry! That makes sense - the Hz2o module has a flaw in it that needs fixing - basically it returns a NaN infinite number when it gets loaded if there's a 0 input at the Hz node. The freezing is actually to protect your ears/monitors from a loud spike, so that's normal.

For FM inputs of oscillators, it either accepts an audio input, or it translates the 0-1 to -1 to 1 internally, depending on the application. You can also just use an LFO and range it so that it goes through the middle of the fine tune control on the newer oscillators to give it just a little wiggle.

Here's a fixed Hz2o module!
    Hz2o fixed.audulus
  • In the new 3.5 update, the module library browser (in app) is static right? Is there a way to add new modules or replace the current Hz2o?

That's one thing I found useful in the old version, I could edit a module then click "add module" and know it was stored permanently in that state, and that I wouldn't accidentally overwrite or mess it up. In the new version, anytime I open an external module (not in the built in library), I'm automatically editing and saving it in its current location - dropbox in iOS Files for me.

Am I understanding that right? Or is there still a way to save a "locked template" of a module?
  • @timeraveler - you can actually drop stuff in from your iCloud into your patch! Have you tried that yet? You can drag and drop multiple items.

We're working on a way to integrate it so that you can put your own user modules into the built in library, but it's kinda hard to do at the moment.

Even though you're not able to "add modules" the old way, using the in-app iCloud browser or Files App in split screen is still x10 faster than the old way of doing it.

So yeah, in a sense there is a "locked template" - just make sure you drag the modules out of your iCloud and into the patch rather than opening them up and copy/pasting them into another patch.
  • BTW in the next update the Hz2o will be fixed :) we're adding a bunch of new modules and the fixed version will be in there with them
  • Ah, good to know!
  • @timeraveler Yeah man, that's really impressive! @biminiroad has some good notes. The only thing I would add is you can use asin(1) and atan(1) as constants in your waveshaping module instead of 1.6 and .79 for greater precision. Audulus has a really great expression node that has a lot of obscure functions in it.

The workaround for the not being able to add modules I have been using anymore is to just organize a folder and tap the iCloud option on the split screen browser. It's just one added tap, so it's not too bad.

If you are really interested in building more modules, you might look at getting the desktop version of Audulus for Mac. It has a little faster workflow, and you can organize your modules in the finder so that they appear in the right-click menu.
    Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 12.44.23 PM.png
    840 x 521 - 58K
  • Thanks for the asin/atan tips! It was just trial and error that got me those numbers :)

And @biminiroad I appreciate you looking through my spaghetti and making notes, I need to read them in detail when I get a free moment.
  • > Thanks for the asin/atan tips! It was just trial and error that got me those numbers :)

"All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians."
    -Thelonious Monk